How Can I Open a URL With a Different Web Browser?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kodyman

How Can I Open a URL With a Different Web Browser?

Post by kodyman »

I mentioned in a different thread somewhere that I use a no-install version on a thumb drive to keep track of web bookmarks. I also keep the bookmark links on the same drive. I double-click on a link, it opens my default browser and goes to the web page... no problem.

Here's my question.
What if I want to open the link with a different web browser other than the default?
I thought I might be able to do it via "Open with..." in the context menu. But "Open with..." isn't shown in the context menu of the no-install version.
I checked and it is a choice in my installed version. Is there a reason I'm missing why it isn't available in the no-install? I checked Configuration|Shell Integration|XYplorer in shell context menu is checked. Even tried it unchecked.

I know this is a not preferred 2nd question in the same post but they are related. I can start a different thread if you'd like.
In my installed version, how can I set up "Open with..." to open an alternative web browser? The alternate one I am trying to open is a no-install version.
When I tried doing it like I have for other PFA's it opens the alternate browser ok but only shows the text file. Since the 1st line is [InternetShortcut] I figure that is why the web address isn't recognized.

BTW this is a Win 7 and portable no-install licensed 18_50_0300 XYp.

highend

Re: How Can I Open a URL With a Different Web Browser?

Post by highend »

Mh, what has this to do with installed / not installed versions?

Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Context Menus | File List...
[x] Open With...

And apart from that, configure a CFA and use a mini script to get the url?

Code: Select all

|"Some portable browser name" url>::$url = getkey("URL", "InternetShortcut", <curitem>); run """<path  to the browser's .exe file>"" ""$url""";
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

Thank You highend!

Yes you were correct. I did not have Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Context Menus | File List...
[x] Open With... ticked.
Apparently at some time in the past I read about or saw a post regarding it and had ticked it in my installed version. And didn't recall. Thought it was ticked as a default.

And for the mini-script. Works like you knew it would. :tup:
I did tweak it to show the browser's icon ahead of the browser name. Took me a little bit to remember how, but it's showing.

Thank you again.

highend

Post by highend »

Works like you knew it would
Surprise^^
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal