xyplorer with Dropbox business

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jodo1955

xyplorer with Dropbox business

Post by jodo1955 »

In my XYplorer I have a link to my Dropbox business cloud storage. This Dropbox account offers smart syncing to save space on my local drive.

Everytime when I open my Dropbox business folder in XYPlorer files in my Dropbox business account that are only stored in the cloud are downloaded spontaneously and uncontolles. Actually is seems to be impossible to access files is my Dropbox folders as XYPlorer seems to be downloading constantly.

Is there anybody familiar with thsi problem, is ther a solution for this ?? By now I can only accces my files in Dropbox with Windows Explorer.

Thanks for any reply

Job

astrae_tech

Re: xyplorer with Dropbox business

Post by astrae_tech »

Dear all,

Second this notion. This is wreaking havoc with my workflow especially when on the go. Have to switch to explorer. Creates a whole bunch of problems with dropbox and kills connection limits in a matter of minutes.

Otherwise, XYplorer rocks.

Does anybody have this same problem?

Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just saying: I got a normal Dropbox account and all works fine.

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 »

Online-only content
Online-only content appears in the Dropbox folder on your computer, but doesn’t use the full amount of space that the file otherwise would. You can see the file, but the content isn’t fully downloaded until you need it. Only information about the file, such as the file name, location, and date the file was updated, is downloaded.

It seems Dropbox Business stores a ghost copy and downloads the entire file when 'needed'. So maybe there's a column or setting that is actually 'accessing' all the files to calculate something like folder size, bitrate, dimensions or whatever.

astrae_tech

Post by astrae_tech »

jaywalker32 wrote:
Online-only content
Online-only content appears in the Dropbox folder on your computer, but doesn’t use the full amount of space that the file otherwise would. You can see the file, but the content isn’t fully downloaded until you need it. Only information about the file, such as the file name, location, and date the file was updated, is downloaded.

It seems Dropbox Business stores a ghost copy and downloads the entire file when 'needed'. So maybe there's a column or setting that is actually 'accessing' all the files to calculate something like folder size, bitrate, dimensions or whatever.
Yes, I think so too. Interestingly, file explorer works perfectly well with those folders but XY is not. Maybe some sort of option to flip in XY to skip all extra file work on the ghost copies? Or designate the dropbox folder is off limits for those functions? I'm slowly migrating back to file explorer (unfortunately) as this has led to some pretty frantic force terminating of xy when on metered connections and screwed up my workflow.

jupe

Post by jupe »

astrae_tech wrote:Maybe some sort of option to flip in XY to skip all extra file work on the ghost copies? Or designate the Dropbox folder is off limits for those functions?
To test the theory presented to you, change your display mode to List via View Menu | Views | List, then navigate to a Dropbox folder, does it still start to download everything? If not, then you could setup the Dropbox path via Folder View Settings to only use List display mode, or maybe it would still be possible to set it up to only display a couple basic columns without triggering the downloading, you could add 1 column at a time starting with Name to test, for more information on FVS see here : https://www.xyplorer.com/tour.php?page=fvs

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One could also test whether this is related to Auto-Refresh:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Auto-refresh
The same setting is also available in the menu:
View | Auto-Refresh (Ctrl+Shift+R)

If the action stops when Auto-Refresh is OFF then an easy solution would be to exclude this folder from Auto-refresh (I would add something to make this easily possible).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems like the HoverBox feature is causing this. When you hover an online-only file (cloud) then it will be auto-downloaded by the system to enable some functionality needed by the HoverBox.

So, I currently wonder how to detect whether a file is online-only. The HoverBox could then (optionally) skip such a file and the download would be avoided. I just can't seem to find any information on this. Does anybody happen to know a way how to programmatically detect whether a DropBox file is online-only?

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

This is what Dropbox tells about their "online file" implementation: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-we ... ntegration. Deeper: https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2016/05/ ... -infinite/
ed: Oh these are mac-only descriptions.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. In the meantime I found out the deeper mechanics of it, and I think the next beta will handle it nicely. :cup:

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

these files are apparently junction points with the offline attribute set, and do stay online-only as long as they're not previewed. maybe OP had thumbnails showing or the preview pane open, or some such.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]