Arrow Key Scrolling Behavior

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Zach

Arrow Key Scrolling Behavior

Post by Zach »

I'm wondering if there is a way to change the behavior. Honestly I don't remember it acting the way it currently is, but it could just be me. I've started doing a lot of heavy house cleaning on my drives and one thing I like to do is scroll a given directories contents.

the scrolling action seems inconsistent. Mostly it is staying centered, so when I hit a certain point in the center of the file list it will start scrolling.

other times it doesn't scroll up or down until I hit close to the extreme top/bottom of the window

that is the behavior I prefer. I want it to go completely up and down and not scroll until it hits the first/last entry in the window frame. Optionally maybe a shift + arrow key would make it jump 10 or 15 rows.

I see there appears to be some "position" variable being set here when you click on an object with the mouse, or tab into the frame listing the directory contents. So I am hoping there could be some toggle options to facilitate what I want to do.

jupe

Re: Arrow Key Scrolling Behavior

Post by jupe »

Your not talking about this option are you?

Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Usability | Scroll margin

it was added recently and I think it's what you are talking about.. :veryconfused:

also you can use PageUp / PageDown to jump up / down in the list like you were suggesting for Shift+Arrow.

Zach

Post by Zach »

Doesn't seem to help really.

If I use a small value then I can see the scroll action starts in that range.

When I have the application window maximized I have 40 lines visible in the file list. However the scroll action starts once you reach line 20 (line 21 will be scrolled).

What I want is for the highlight/selection bar to move freely all the way down to either line 39 or line 40 and THEN start scrolling the list.
Likewise if I was all the way at the bottom, I would want it to reach all the way back up to line 1 or 2 before it started the scrolling.

From a navigation setting it is very uncomfortable and disconcerting for me. I see a file near the bottom which I want to reach with my arrow keys, but all of a sudden the selection indicators stops moving and I get scrolling instead.

Call me old fashioned, I'm just used to working in that manner.

Another interesting thing I noticed. Before I touched it, it was set to 0. Now after resetting it to 0, I noticed the scrolling starts at line 0, lol

I have also noticed inconsistent behavior with regards to clicking anywhere on the file list :cry:

let's say I clicked in on line 15 - Well the program doesn't respect that scroll action setting, until things are "reset" i.e tapping home/end to reach the top/bottom of the list

Zach

Post by Zach »

I would like to thank Jupe for helping solve the problem.

I received a PM today with a link to the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16607

The solution in this case was to make sure the scroll lock key was disabled properly.