paid version and trial together?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
wendiwoman

paid version and trial together?

Post by wendiwoman »

Hi. I have licensed version 16.50, that has been misbehaving since I upgraded to Windows 10. I'd like to try the trial of latest version, to see if it fixes things. If it does, I'll pay for it. If not, I'll just stick with my existing one. What's the best way to download, install, and run the new trial version without losing my existing version? Thank you.

highend

Re: paid version and trial together?

Post by highend »

Download this one:
https://www.xyplorer.com/download/xyplo ... nstall.zip

from
https://www.xyplorer.com/download.php

Extract it to e.g.: C:\
Go into your new folder (C:\xyplorer_full_noinstall)
and start XYplorer.exe

It will save it's settings in C:\xyplorer_full_noinstall\Data,
doesn't modify your registry and can easily removed
by deleting the complete folder

And now:
In which way is your old instance misbehaving?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

wendiwoman

Post by wendiwoman »

It misbehaves in a few ways. Some are historic, since it was new. Others are since my upgrade to Win10. For example, it will seem to slow, and the "spinning blue circle" cursor will flash for an instant, go away, and then repeat. If I look in Process Explorer when that is occurring, I see that XYp is spawning a task with "err" in the name (can't recall the exact name). That task starts and terminates repeatedly until I kill and restart XYp. Also, I notice a lot of crash dumps being generated throughout the day, such as D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\CrashDumps\XYplorer.exe(8).6656.dmp.

Sometimes, XYp just freezes. I get the "not responding" message on the title bar, and I have to kill it in Process Explorer, or else Windows kills it for me, and offers to search for a solution.

There are other things, like occasional runtime errors ("runtime error 226 at 04E3916B"), but my attempts to track those down went nowhere. I do love the product, but I wish I didn't have these reliability issues.

BTW - Got the new version running. Thank you for that info.

Wendi

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not aware of such issues. Would like to know what's causing this. Let me know how the new version behaves.

wendiwoman

Post by wendiwoman »

The new version (18.50) is no better than my existing version (16.50). Here are some screen shots showing what happens.

In this one, I was previewing some text files. I had just looked at FreeStudioManager.log, and then clicked on ytvdownload_x1.log to view it. The program froze and the error box appeared. I relaunched Xyp, and was able to view it successfully.
XYpCrash.jpg
XYpCrash.jpg (201.76 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Here's a different example. This shows Process Explorer while I was using Xyp. I had right clicked on a file (don't recall why), but recognized the symptom of the program getting sluggish, and the on-and-off appearance of the spinning blue circle. As you can see, Xyp was continuously restarting. Despite all of this, the program was working, and after a period of time, the abnormal behavior stopped. I did not have to kill it.
XYpFault.jpg
XYpFault.jpg (472.51 KiB) Viewed 799 times
If you are interested, I do have .dmp files, and report.wer files.

Wendi

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The first suspect are always 3rd party shell extensions.

Tick this and see if it makes any difference:
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu

If this does not help, then: Is it correct that your crashes always come while or after you preview any files?

wendiwoman

Post by wendiwoman »

I'll try your suggestion, and get back to you. It might be challenging, because sometimes I don't see a failure for a week, so it's hard to know how long to wait before I'm confident that the problem has been identified.

As for your question... there is no consistent failure mode. I can preview files for weeks before seeing a crash like the one I described. The only behavior that seems most likely to be associated with a failure is a right-click. But as I said in the first paragraph, some times I can go a week without seeing a failure, all the while right-clicking and previewing. Other times, I get multiple failures a day.

Wendi

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That clearly seems to point to some non-XYplorer factor playing a significant role here.

wendiwoman

Post by wendiwoman »

I got another failure today, even with "Hide shell extensions from context menu" checked. What is interesting is that XYplorer was minimized at the time. I was using my web browser (Firefox), and noticed some sluggish behavior, along with the periodic spinning blue circle. Checking Process Explorer, I noticed that XYp was continuously restarting as I've mentioned previously. Here's a screenshot:
XYPlorerFault.jpg
XYPlorerFault.jpg (404.08 KiB) Viewed 694 times
I also got a screenshot of what a right-click does, both to verify that shell extensions are hidden, and in case it helps your analysis.
RightClickMenu.jpg
RightClickMenu.jpg (153.86 KiB) Viewed 694 times
I killed XYp and restarted it, and all is well at this time.

Wendi