Crashing or long non-responsive period

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
amz

Crashing or long non-responsive period

Post by amz »

I'm using the 30 days test version and while the program seems much better than most file managers, and for a while it worked just fine, now it crashes occasionally and also now almost always, when copying things from my remote server through a VPN, where the drives on that server are mapped onto my drive, it will do the copy, but then will hang for many minutes. Any thoughts on solutions would be greatly appreciated, as I'd like to buy it but will put up with the free ones if I can't solve this. The problem does not seem to happen when copying just on my local machine, although I do that so rarely I can't be sure.

A little background: I've had file manager crashing problems for decades, on many different machines, under win95 on (currently using win10). Most of these computers have been new installations, not migrations, so I don't see how some flaw in the setup of one would lead to these problems on others. I used to use powerdesk, until the problem got too great with it, and since have used a wide variety of managers, freecommander, q-dir and many others. They all crash way too often for me. I am a "heavy user," some have said, in that I keep a lot of programs running, but not clear how that could explain this.

Usually, when xyplorer or one of the others crashes, windows explorer still works for me (and sometimes, it seems that my use of it leads to the other program coming out of being non-responsive). I have had an occasional incident where explorer crashes and I get an error message, but this problem with the various other programs seems completely unrelated to that.

highend

Re: Crashing or long non-responsive period

Post by highend »

When practically all file managers show a nearly identical behavior...
It's either a hardware problem (bad SATA cables, faulty ram, overheating, etc.) or
your OS setup / some kind of interfering software.
when copying things from my remote server through a VPN, where the drives on that server are mapped onto my drive, it will do the copy, but then will hang for many minutes ... The problem does not seem to happen when copying just on my local machine
Maybe a VPN / network related problem. Hard to know what happens on your system during that time.

You should take a closer look with the inbuild Windows resource monitor (resmon.exe) to see if there is still
data transfer during these long timeout...

But without showing a pattern between these unrelated file managers; really hard to say what's the exact
problem.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal