Problem viewing PDF in the preview pane

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
klownboy

Re: Problem viewing PDF in the preview pane

Post by klownboy »

I added pdf files back to the text category in Previewed Formats such that the Preview Pane no longer displayed pdfs properly. Then I unchecked it only and it was back to working again. Fixed, thanks Don.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why did you add pdf files to the text category?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I added pdf to text category only to test beta v18.50.0005. When added to text category along with Office, the pdf files don't display in Preview Pane. That was the original problem I was getting back to in order to test. I then unchecked pdf files in text category and the pdf displayed properly again in the Preview Pane. Previously I had to delete the entry in Text category to get it to work. With your change now I don't.

In other words, all is well the beta v18.50.0005 worked fine for me. :tup:
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, only for testing.

But generally, why would anybody add pdf files to the text category? Well, probably
- because they usually contain text
- because he misunderstands the interface of Configuration | Previewed Formats

I'll try to improve it...

dmace@verizon.net

Post by dmace@verizon.net »

Pardon my ignorance in this thread but I just downloaded the program yesterday and am still exploring.
I have the problem described here. I do get a preview of the file but it is simply the code therein and obviously it is not in a readable Adobe format. Initially I tried to add it to the "text" selection and the program would blow up with a Runtime 91 error. On the second reinstall I extracted the zip file instead of running and that error seems to go away.
I would like to view the pdf file in its formatted form, is that possible.

highend

Post by highend »

What does the mini-script:

Code: Select all

text get("PreviewHandler", "pdf");
display (post the content of the box) when you execute
it from the address bar?

Which operating system, bitness, which pdf application is installed?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

dmace@verizon.net

It reads as follows:

GUID: {DC6EFB56-9CFA-464D-8880-44885D7DC193}
DefaultName: Adobe PDF Preview Handler for Vista
DisplayName: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\pdfprevhndlr.dll,-101

Os is Windows 10 Home with latest major update
64 bit
Adobe 11 Pro

highend

Post by highend »

The 64-bit Adobe app doesn't install a 32-bit preview handler. To solve this you can e.g.
follow this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15910

dmace@verizon.net

thanks but first cannot find "PDF-XChange-Editor". Can find a named editor on a google search but it costs maybe there are others, have no idea.
I ran a search on my "C" drive (OS and programming partition/drive) with XY and my "D" drive (data partition/drive) to no avail.
I was simply trying to put data in the "Info Panel" but it appears that for Adobe files I must stick with MS Explorer, was trying to get away from that.
Really I would suggest that a 10 step procedure to be able to view a pdf file is in my opinion a fault in a program.
Are there any other suggestions, Adobe's viewer seems to work in MSExplorer and on my browsers well.
D Mace

highend

Post by highend »

thanks but first cannot find "PDF-XChange-Editor"
These instructions contain the necessary link for it in step 03
Really I would suggest that a 10 step procedure to be able to view a pdf file is in my opinion a fault in a program
Call it like that if you like. XY relies on installed 32-bit preview handlers / iFilters. Adobe doesn't install the necessary 32-bit
versions on a 64-bit OS.
Adobe's viewer seems to work in MSExplorer and on my browsers well.
Windows Explorer is a 64-bit app and therefore uses Adobes 64-bit preview handler
And your browsers are either 64-bit as well or don't use the Adobe engine to display
pdfs

dmace@verizon.net

I understand all of that but I am trying out the program. There are a lot of programs, hardware etc that I don't mind messing with but I am not interested in doing that with everything. My point is that I found this program because since my default data storage location is directed to my D or data partition/drive MSEx has consequently locked me out of the Users subdirectory in the C drive. I was looking for something that would solve that problem. I need that because I want to eliminate several directories/files from the backup routine. I found this (XYEx) which seems to have a lot of features which I like. But I am not interested in working on the coding or doing detailed add-ons to it, those days are a thing of the past.
I simply am looking for an easy way to be able to preview pdf files. In general the previewer seems robust, but pdf is an important and well used file type in what I do.

My question still stands, is there some other way to accomplish this. I can do it in a split screen MSex and XYex but would rather have it in one screen and program.

D. Mace

highend

Post by highend »

Either install a full 32-bit version of PDF-XChange-Editor (free!) or SumatraPDF (or any
other 32-bit pdf viewer that brings a preview handler and is NOT from Adobe). You can
still define your default viewer in the windows settings. If you don't like any of these
suggestions (or my previously posted "portable") way, you're out of luck regarding pdf previews in XY

ltchest

Post by ltchest »

OK this still just doesnt work - i followed all the steps in the 10-step recipe above. Nothing works - still just get a blank page when trying to view PDF files. Is there any way to get this working "out the box" so to speak ??

highend

Post by highend »

Install the free version of PDF-XChange-Viewer (the EXE (32/64 bit) installer selectable
from the dropdown download button)
from here: https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... nge-viewer

If the preview still shouldn't work afterwards, provide the infos that were already asked
in this thread.

. Try a fresh instance via

fresh;

vijer

Post by vijer »

highend wrote:Install the free version of PDF-XChange-Viewer (the EXE (32/64 bit) installer selectable
from the dropdown download button)
from here: https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... nge-viewer

If the preview still shouldn't work afterwards, provide the infos that were already asked
in this thread.

. Try a fresh instance via

fresh;
If I run refresh; I get a new instance of XYplorer and some pdfs can be previewed, not sure why all can't, but if I close all instances of XYplorer and reopen it, I have my original configuration and can't preview pdfs again. Do I have to do a clean install and loose all of my settings?