Windows Set File Associations Ignored?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Zebryk

Windows Set File Associations Ignored?

Post by Zebryk »

Under Windows 10, opening jpg image files set to open with Irfan works fine.

After specifically adding this to the XY CFA (jpg; png>C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe) works fine as well.

My confusion is I would think that XY would use the Windows file associations by default unless over-ridden with the XY CFA.

Strangely, without the CFA enabled, XY pops a WINDOWS message asking reconfirmation to always use the highlighted app.
In my case, Irfan is selected, and, after selecting "Always use this App" opens via Irfan fine.
However, this does not stick, and the process repeats.

After carefully setting many file associations in Windows, I cannot believe it necessary to repeat/duplicate each the same in XY?

I must have done something wrong somewhere!

(Lastest Win 10 patches and XY versions installed.)

highend

Re: Windows Set File Associations Ignored?

Post by highend »

Try to fix it with http://www.thewindowsclub.com/file-asso ... ows-10-8-7

If it doesn't work, shut the damn buggy Windows 10 default association questioning system off
by editing the group policy:
gpedit -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer configuration -> Administrative templates -> Windows Compononents -> File Explorer -> Do not show the 'new application installed' notification -> Enabled.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

fizzybiz

Post by fizzybiz »

highend wrote: 26 Sep 2017 19:25shut the damn buggy Windows 10 default association questioning system off
by editing the group policy: gpedit -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer configuration -> Administrative templates -> Windows Compononents -> File Explorer -> Do not show the 'new application installed' notification -> Enabled.
I would like to report this post for being helpful. :) Found this via google, fixed the problem for me. Kind of bizarre though. :)

Suspenderz

Post by Suspenderz »

Why would I have to use some third party software or modify Windows Group Policies to get this software to recognize and use Windows default file associations? The issue seems to be with Xyxplorer, since Windows launches files fine everywhere but in this software.

TMProjection

Post by TMProjection »

Suspenderz wrote: 20 Mar 2021 13:40 Why would I have to use some third party software or modify Windows Group Policies to get this software to recognize and use Windows default file associations? The issue seems to be with Xyxplorer, since Windows launches files fine everywhere but in this software.
gotta agree here to be honest

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

As many XY users - including myself - never had any problem with this (I'm sure that otherwise there would have been a s**tstorm of posts about this), it is rather a result of a specific combination of Windows settings and XY so it is a probably not fair to just blame XY.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

vanzanten

Post by vanzanten »

I'm a new user of XYplorer. I live the program, but the thing in this thread keeps bugging me. I can't XYplorer get to remember the right association for opening .jpg-files. I tried several hints on creating CFA's. I enabled the 'don't ask'thing in Group Policies. But I don't succeed XYplorer to remember the program it has to open the jpg with. Normally I use FastStone for jpg, but even when I try to let XYPlorer remember top open them with the old Windows Photo Viewer it forgets the association. I'm using XYP 21.80.0200

highend

Post by highend »

Then show the CFA you're using...

vanzanten

Post by vanzanten »

What should I show? (sorry, I'm no pro....). I associated the jpg-files with Windows Photo Viewer. I did this in Windows Explorer, I did it in Xyplorer and I did it in the cfa-list in pc-settings (standard apps). The association works perfectly in Windows Explorer, but in Xyplorer I have to choose a default app EVERY time I open a jpg.
Last edited by vanzanten on 16 Nov 2021 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Post by highend »

I tried several hints on creating CFA's.
And because of that I wanted you to show me that CFA entry (which doesn't work on your system)...

For the default installation folder of FSViewer this could be:

Code: Select all

"FS Image Viewer" {:Image}>::run """C:\Program Files (x86)\FastStone Image Viewer\FSViewer.exe"" ""<curitem>""";
or instead of {:Image} just jpg if this should be used only for jpg files...

vanzanten

Post by vanzanten »

I'm really glad you want to help me, but I just can't provide the info you require. I removed Fast Stone, because I read about problems with 32 bit programs. I removed it thoroughly with Revo. Afterwards I associated the jpg-files again with Windows Photo Viewer. But I really don't know how I can show you that WPV is now associated with jpg.

highend

Post by highend »

A CFA is a custom file association in XYplorer, not somewhere else...

Menu - Tools - Customize File Associations...

Code: Select all

"Windows Photo Viewer" {:Image}>::run """%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe"" ""%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll"", ImageView_Fullscreen <curitem>";
1.png
1.png (17.42 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

vanzanten

Post by vanzanten »

Yes! It works! I was looking in the Windows folders and the registry. I didn't know I had to look in XYPlorer itself! I had of course read about scripts and tried some in "SCRIPTING - RUN SCRIPT", but with no succes. Now I typed your script in TOOLS - CFA and than NEW and it solved the issue! Thanks for your patience! I thought I knew lots of tricks in Windows, but this is totally new for me. Still wonder why I have to adjust XYplorer for a setting that's set in Windows itself, but anyhow: problem solved!

You're my hero of the day!

Horst

Post by Horst »

vanzanten wrote: 16 Nov 2021 10:56 I'm really glad you want to help me, but I just can't provide the info you require. I removed Fast Stone, because I read about problems with 32 bit programs. I removed it thoroughly with Revo. Afterwards I associated the jpg-files again with Windows Photo Viewer. But I really don't know how I can show you that WPV is now associated with jpg.
FastStone FSViewer is a 32-bit program which runs perfect here under x64 Windows 10 and 11.
It works with the default Windows association from XY and other file managers.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

vanzanten

Post by vanzanten »

Horst wrote: 16 Nov 2021 13:46 FastStone FSViewer is a 32-bit program which runs perfect here under x64 Windows 10 and 11.
It works with the default Windows association from XY and other file managers.
Now I understand the idea of the scripts I'm going to install FastStone again!