XYplorer startup appears to cause corporate account lockout

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
xyplorerköln

XYplorer startup appears to cause corporate account lockout

Post by xyplorerköln »

Thanks for the excellent software. Please bear with me while I describe a situation that I'm not liking.

I use XYplorer in a variety of work contexts. In particular, I store network-drive-based locations as items in Catalogs to make it easy to quickly navigate back to those locations. I have quite a lot of these per each work environment.

In one example work environment, the item links are in a format similar to: \\file-dal.xyp.com\T-Drive\PROJECT FILES\TELCO
If I'm using basic Windows Explorer to navigate to the locations, I (1) open a VPN connection for the company, (2) navigate to the link, and (3) if prompted, enter my work credentials.

About every six months, I have to change my password for this work environment, which of course causes changes to a variety of federated access points (email, network drives, online services, etc.). This all works fine: I change passwords in email clients, use different passwords on company websites, enter the new password when prompted as navigating the network drives, etc. and authentication is no problem. I can work without issues for as long as I like after changing my password...

Until I launch XYplorer. As soon as I launch XYplorer the first time after changing my company password, I suddenly get locked out of my company account. I believe the company's rule is something like 5 login attempts with wrong credentials before being locked out.

So it appears that XYplorer by itself, or in conjunction with some underlying Windows process, is somehow caching my old credentials and probably trying repeatedly to login to the numerous location items I've got stored in that company's Catalog. Then I get locked out and I have to go work with the company's IT department to get the account unlocked - which is not good when dealing with this particular company.

After account unlock (and sometimes having to unlock a handful of times), XYplorer will eventually cause a prompt to occur for new credentials, at which point I can finally authenticate and no longer encounter account lockouts. But then the next time my password expires, I have to go through this all over again. I've had this occur every password change over the last couple years, ever since I've been using XYplorer with this company.

What can I do to prevent XYplorer from firing off multiple connection attempts with the wrong credentials in the future? I'd like to (a) prevent XYplorer from firing off any connection attempts without my explicit input; and (b) be able to change the credentials prior to XYplorer causing this problem.

admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer startup appears to cause corporate account lockout

Post by admin »

Tick this:

Configuration | Startup & Exit | No network browsing on startup

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Also make sure this is UNTICKED:
Configuration > Controls and More > Network > Assume that servers are available

(going by the tooltip)
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Thanks for the replies!

Both those settings are already as you suggest.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XYplorer does no conscious caching of credentials nor multiple login retries. XYplorer shifts all this to Windows per some simple standard API calls.

So, there is not much I can do here. :|

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Thank you for the swift reply!

Here's the part I don't understand:
1. After changing password, I can use VPN and login, then immediately use native Windows Explorer to navigate folders/files with no issue. I can do this for days after changing password and never have a problem.
2. As soon as I open XYplorer, something triggers the repeated attempts to use the old credentials, and I get locked out of the account.

So I would believe you that perhaps there is nothing happening in XYplorer per se, and that it's all Windows' fault. Yet, XYplorer is the clear trigger at least. Any ideas on how this could occur?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That sparked an idea!

There is a context where I use this flag: CONNECT_UPDATE_PROFILE
Now read about it on this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

Could be the culprit... :twisted:

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Ha! Very interesting!!

Reposting link here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx because the link broke somehow in the previous post.

Well, I'd love to try to test this out, but... :arrow: back to you! :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, looks like the forum soft could not handle that URL.

Upload in some minutes... :twisted:

pritisinghip

Post by pritisinghip »

I had not been using XYPlorer up until last week when I purchased it when you had the special one day pricing. It had worked ok, although it seemed to take approximately 10 secs or so to show up on my XP Pro SP3 AMD 3500+ computer. However today all it is doing is locking up before it even starts up (no install one) or locks up when I tried to copy to networked machine (full install).
Sorry, using a signature is not allowed for new users.

highend

Post by highend »

On the full install version, execute this from the address bar and post the result:

Code: Select all

text <get loadtimes>;
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal