How to find all folders containing a certain file type

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
chrisj4195

How to find all folders containing a certain file type

Post by chrisj4195 »

Hi i'm just getting started with XYplorer and could use a little help.

I'm trying to find all folders on my (P:) drive containing a .dwg file.

I then need to copy all of these folders and their contents onto an external hardrive.

admin
Site Admin

Re: How to find all folders containing a certain file type

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome to the club!

Use this serch term (the /p switch returns the parent folders of all matching items):

*.dwg /p

Don

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Would it be possible to have a popup help in the Find box that lists things like this on a right click? Or some other brilliant way of helping to remember all this? I'm not new at this, nor to the help documentation. I remembered it existed, just not by enough to find it. Frustrating.

Had to use Google to find this in the Forum. Even GREPed the pdf manual for various possible terms near other terms. I even remembered it was done somehow by parent instead of child (like in Everything).

Sometimes the program is just a bit more powerful than I am :oops:

jupe

Post by jupe »

While your request is considered, an alternative just in case you didn't know already is that you can press F1 in the search field and the help pops up to the search section, but it sounds like you are after the search switches instead, which you can access directly by pasting the following into the XY address bar:

Code: Select all

::help "idh_quicknamesearch.htm";
or add that command to a custom toolbar button or shortcut key for the time being.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dustydog wrote:Had to use Google to find this in the Forum.
Usually the best way. QuickSearch has so many switches, if I'd show them in some info window you would have to scan them visually. Google is faster.

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Link to appropriate help sections? I guess I'm asking for work when you really have better things to do, but for example, your way of finding settings is brilliant in its simplicity. (Not saying that would work here.)

My consistent problem is that I often can't think of an appropriate search term to find something in help. Any additional pointers from within XY would be invaluable to me, and I think others. I don't think it would be too huge an amount of work because they tend to be...clusters of complexity. I really don't quite know how to get around the I can't think of the right search term thing very well. Many programs do it with a pop up. Having some guidance would be nice within XY, though I'm not sure how to do it in a way respectful of your time.

I do think there is some problem in the help organization or cross referencing. Having even pointers to subjects would be a help. I'm amazed I can context GREP the blasted manual for as long as I do sometimes before stumbling upon the right answer.

*shrug*

Wish my memory were better. This kind of thing makes me feel rather old. In the past, I would have remembered the switch or the reference area after reading it.

All that said, I deeply appreciate having XY so deep that there's probably a way of doing what I want if I look and think hard enough.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think that was a good tip for you:
viewtopic.php?p=157241#p157241

Might add a button to open contextual help later to Quick Search.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Dustydog wrote:Link to appropriate help sections? I guess I'm asking for work when you really have better things to do, but for example, your way of finding settings is brilliant in its simplicity. (Not saying that would work here.)
Hell, I know your feelings...
I mean: seriously.

Well: if it helps ( :titter: ), I can share a little script that simply holds sections of Help file, refining them by Live Filter which is way faster than looking after keywords via Help's search feature.
Following my signature hints you will certainly find other attempts of presenting the massive amount of XY features - which can or cannot be of help ( :P ), depending on how your head system works.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

SkyFrontier wrote:
Dustydog wrote:Link to appropriate help sections? I guess I'm asking for work when you really have better things to do, but for example, your way of finding settings is brilliant in its simplicity. (Not saying that would work here.)
Hell, I know your feelings...
I mean: seriously.

Well: if it helps ( :titter: ), I can share a little script that simply holds sections of Help file, refining them by Live Filter which is way faster than looking after keywords via Help's search feature.
Following my signature hints you will certainly find other attempts of presenting the massive amount of XY features - which can or cannot be of help ( :P ), depending on how your head system works.
Thanks for that. Sorry I was a bit slow.

Our beloved developer has brilliant English (I can't tell he's German from his writing), but sometimes I wonder if subtleties for search terms, etc., get lost a little in translation. I really don't know. He's certainly more aware of programming terms than I.