How to Reset XYplorer to Factory Defaults?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
DennisL

How to Reset XYplorer to Factory Defaults?

Post by DennisL »

Hello,

I'm a brand new user of XYplorer, having just purchased it (and began trying it) weeks ago, so I've been actively checking out all the many interesting facets of XYplorer. Wow! I'm amazed at how many incredible features this file manager has... looking forward to delving deeper, but until then...

This being my very first post, I'm a bit embarrassed to say ––- I need help reverting my XYplorer back to a fresh/factory default install. My daughter got a bit too inquisitive the other day and started experimenting with my new application, and now I don't know what has changed and how to get it back to the way it was. :oops:
:?:
From searching in the manual, I see there are ways to reset factory default colors, columns, etc. - but what about the every aspect of the application, as in the true factory default of XYplorer?

I see in the FAQ: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=fresh
as I am using an installed version, that typing fresh; or using /fresh in the command line it will create temporary state to test in a factory default environment (but not overwriting my current configuration).

I would like to have my configuration overwritten, in this case.

I have read that possibly just deleting the XYplorer.ini file would reset things to a fresh state, is that correct?

I see in the post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=610&p=4833&hilit=de ... eset#p4833
Admin said:
"Is there really a demand for resetting everything to defaults apart from the registration information? Why would you want to do this?"

To be honest, unless I misunderstood... as a graphic designer - in my work environment, I'm used to having to reset the changes someone that was using my workstation over the weekend made. I actually like having the option to click a button somewhere in the GUI or in a menu to quickly "reset everything to factory defaults." But, maybe that's just me...
:?:
Thanks for any help with letting me know how to reset things back to the way they were - much appreciated! :tup:

highend

Re: How to Reset XYplorer to Factory Defaults?

Post by highend »

Welcome to the forum

In XYplorer
Menu - Go - Go to Application Data Folder
Then go one level up and delete the folder you`ve just left (should be named "XYplorer")
Exit XY with Menu - File - Restart without Saving
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

DennisL

Post by DennisL »

Excellent! Thank you so much highend. :)

John_C

Post by John_C »

It will be better to have an option to preserve some settings. Sometimes I need to reset XY, but preserve the color labels and comments assigned to my files and directories. It is possible by creating a copy of tag.dat, removing Data folder and then copying tag.dat back. But it will be better to have slightly easier way.

highend

Post by highend »

This is already the easiest way (copying the data folder and restoring what's necessary)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

DrChiron

Post by DrChiron »

Thank you. but be forewarned to carefully select
"Go to Application DATA folder"
and NOT
"Go to Application folder".
I had that negative experience whereby following the given procedure on the wrong folder deleted my xyplorer.ini file and required that I find my saved [Register] info that I save for all registered software.
To my surprise I found my XYplorer back in trial mode!

BTW: In my need for this RESET, I had somewhere changed a setting that caused my system to take a very long time to startup! (Constant HDD LED activity made it seem that most all files needed to be checked for something(?))
I realize that this RESET loses all customization's, so I must remember to save them securely whenever they are made.
Retired Hollywood Video Engr
[WinX Home amd64] [XYplorer 20.80.0000]