Tab Close Button Size

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
VeeGee

Tab Close Button Size

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
Are there any settings to increase the size of the (X) button on the tabs ? It is very small when running on my current setup. For comparison, I ran XY on my work setup (normal DPI settings, older monitors) and the button is much larger and centered.

My current monitor setup is :
Screen: 2560x1440, 1/2 (Primary), Virtual: (-1920, 0) - (4480, 1440), Work: (0, 0) - (2560, 1390)
Screen DPI: 120 (125%), twx: 12, stretch: 1
Screen Color Depth: 32
DPI awareness: Per monitor
UseDPIAwareIconSizes: Yes, Yes
Icon Size: Small=16, Large=32
Icon Size Controls: Small=20, Large=40
Icon Size Recommended: Small=20, Large=40

Example on monitors listed above :
MainMonitor.PNG
MainMonitor.PNG (3.56 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
Have a great day.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tab Close Button Size

Post by admin »

It's optically 10x10, but the hit area is 12x12. Is that too small?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Hello again,
I can check using the hit box. I was always just targeting the the (x) button exactly. Here are the details from the other monitor I was testing with and a picture of the size of the box on that monitor :

Screen: 1920x1200, 1/3 (Primary), Virtual: (-1920, 0) - (5760, 1200), Work: (0, 0) - (1920, 1160)
Screen DPI: 96 (100%), twx: 15, stretch: 1
Screen Color Depth: 32
DPI awareness: Per monitor
UseDPIAwareIconSizes: No, Yes
Icon Size: Small=16, Large=32
Icon Size Controls: Small=16, Large=32
Icon Size Recommended: Small=16, Large=32
OtherSetup.PNG
OtherSetup.PNG (1.97 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
This button size and layout is pretty much the sweet spot for me - perfect size and centered (looks really nice).
Ideally, even w/some tweaking on my end, it would be nice to have the size consistent between both setups; however, I will definitely try out the hit box area.

Originally I was using the middle-mouse to close tabs, but now use the middle-mouse to pull up the Quick Access Popup application to quickly navigate around apps, folders, etc. Based on my setup, that is where I had come up w/a suggestion post about rocker support for mouse buttons, e.g. down-right, click left. With rockers, I would just configure down-right, click-left to close tabs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hit area is the same size (12x12) just the position and the drawing of the X has been changed a bit. I find it cleaner now.

PS: I changed my mind about the optical button size -- looks like a bug and could be even misleading. So it will be drawn 12x12 again in the next version.

autocart

Post by autocart »

Hi, I hope I am allowed to wake this thread up.
Maybe I have become too old, but since some time I noticed that the current x close button is too small for me. It is hard to hit it at the first time. Regards, S.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Give some context:
1) font size tabs
2) screen DPI
3) mouse or touch screen
4) screenshot

davidhelp

Post by davidhelp »

In CorelDraw I like that I can make the buttons and toolbars bigger. Other programs do not scale up to size.
A 3rd party program called "Advanced System Font Changer" makes it easy to increase the font size and change the font in Windows 10 for Title, Menu, Icon etc.
You can change the text size under the icons to what you want and use the keyboard ctrl + scroll wheel on the mouse to resize the desktop icons. https://www.wintools.info/index.php/adv ... nt-changer

Windows 7 was easy while Windows 10 took it all away so you have to use the steps above and below to make changes.
Both my Windows 7 desktop pc with a 32" LG monitor and Windows 10 / 15.5" laptop use 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.

In XYplorer go to Tools> Customize Toolbar> Options button on the right side.
I have Large Buttons selected. Maybe XYplorer programmers can have the toolbar wrap to another line as Extra Large Buttons pushes the other buttons to the right off the programs toolbar where you have to click on a button to see the other toolbar buttons.

In Windows 10 you can change some display settings which may help.
Start button> Settings> Ease of Access
Move the sliders to adjust.

Make text bigger
Make everything bigger

Start button> Settings> System> Display
Scale and layout

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I would not like to increase the Tab Close Button Size. It would increase the chance to accidentally close a tab. Which IMO is worse than to accidentally not close it.

There are keyboard shortcuts to close a tab (the current tab): Ctrl+W, Ctrl+F4