main 481 invalid picture

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
laffin_boy

main 481 invalid picture

Post by laffin_boy »

Hi,

I recently had an issue that appeared to be with XY on my desktop machine (but turned out not to be an XY issue at all) and found a lot of help here so I want to return the favor by explaining the resolution of a bizarre problem (again apparently) with XY on my laptop that took me a week to figure out. While troubleshooting I came to this forum looking for "main 481: invalid picture" issues and found only one post from 2004 that didn't help me at all so I thought i'd post what I found in case someone else has similar issues:

My Win 7-32 laptop was working perfectly until one day two of my must-have apps refused to start up - one of which was XYplorer 14..6. It it's folder I found several copies of xyerrorlog-(date).txt and the cryptic error was as i've put in the subject line of this post. Searching O/L was quite frustrating and I found many different supposed reasons for this problem - some of which were obviously scams. But several sources claimed that this was a VB6 related problem and that XY depends on VB6. But I wasn't buying that VB6 files were corrupted on my system partition. Finally on a M$ website I found a suggestion that this can be caused by insufficient Temp folder space on the system partition. Ah, the light dawns! I have (or had) a ramdrive where I had reconfigured the system temp folders and, after checking, found that the ramdrive software had failed and, therefore, I had NO temp folders at all! Replacing & re-configuring the ramdrive software (now using IMDisk - highly recommended) restored my ramdrive and my temp folders and with a reboot both "broken" app sprang back to life as if nothing had even been wrong.

So you may not have a ramdrive or may not have your Temp folders on the ramdrive but it appears that when XY is asked to start up it won't if there's no Temp folder space (or no Temp folder at all). I'm sure Don could explain this but perhaps this info will be helpful to someone down the road.