Context Menu Entry Missing

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
laffin_boy

Context Menu Entry Missing

Post by laffin_boy »

Hi,

Just re-installed Win 7 - 64 on a new, partitioned SSD and my F:\System\XYPlorer folder (V14.60.01) was copied to a backup drive and then back again but was otherwise untouched by the OS install. But when I installed Beyond Compare (a must-have app for me) it's context menu entries show up fine in the Evil Explorer but not on the XYPlorer context menu. It's worked fine for years in XYPlorer but no longer.

What can I look for?

lb

highend

Re: Context Menu Entry Missing

Post by highend »

In that context menu use "Show 64-bit Context Menu" or, more permanently, enable
Configuration | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Show the 64-bit context menu
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

laffin_boy

Post by laffin_boy »

highend wrote:In that context menu use "Show 64-bit Context Menu" or, more permanently, enable
Configuration | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Show the 64-bit context menu
Thanks for replying. I checked and it was already set.

lb

highend

Post by highend »

Mh?

You're already showing the 64-bit context menu by default while
Beyond Compare's menu entry isn't showing up in it?

laffin_boy

Post by laffin_boy »

You're already showing the 64-bit context menu by default while
Beyond Compare's menu entry isn't showing up in it?
-- In the config dialog > Shell Integration > 64 Bit Windows > the "show the real system32 directory" box is checked
(unchecking it made no difference)
-- Beyond Compare is a x64 app - XYPlorer 14.60.01 is a x86 app
-- this combo has worked together for years before my reinstall of the (same) OS

highend

Post by highend »

In the config dialog > Shell Integration > 64 Bit Windows > the "show the real system32 directory" box is checked
(unchecking it made no difference)
?

I wrote:
or, more permanently, enable

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

...or dynamic as entry "Show 64-bit context menu" in the default context menu.
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

laffin_boy

Post by laffin_boy »

Thank you both for attempting to help but you're referring to something that's not in my config window. See attached screenshot

Under General > Menus, Mouse & Safety > I found "Custom D&D Context Menu" checked. I unchecked it but it made no difference.
Attachments
config_file.jpg
config_file.jpg (102.25 KiB) Viewed 2830 times

highend

Post by highend »

Your XY version doesn't support this option

There are two possible reasons why you're seeing this issue:
01. You've had a 32-bit Windows 7 installation before
or
02. You've had a 64-bit Windows 7 installation before BUT
a 32-bit Beyond Compare version

laffin_boy

Post by laffin_boy »

Highend said: "Your XY version doesn't support this option"

Does the current ver of XY support this option?

highend

Post by highend »

Sure

Statler

Post by Statler »

@laffin_boy:

What version of BeyondCompare are you using?

Statler

Post by Statler »

After looking around on the BC homepage I found these two links very interesting:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/support. ... kb_shellex

https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbullet ... ight=32bit

I have recently installed the latest BC version and XY 17.50 on a newly installed Win 10 machine and have no problems with the context menu. And the BC entries are in both context menus.

laffin_boy

Post by laffin_boy »

First of all thank you both for your attempts to help. I'll go and get a x86 ver of BC which should solve the problem. And please excuse the following rant. It's not directed at either of you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it appeared that I was facing the choice of upgrading XY or switching to an x86 ver of BC so I chose to upgrade XY from 14.6 to 17.9. Should be straightforward - right? Just copy the new files to my XY folder and it would find all my config files and I might have, at the worst, a few tweaks to make due to new features that needed to be set. But i've had upgrade problems with XY in the dim past but the painful memories has faded away. But I *should* have known better...

I downloaded the only option I saw which was an installer. This writes both an uninstall and the app path to the reg but we're stretching the definition and still calling it a portable ver.

So I fired it up and it looked more like Explorer than XYplorer. ALL of my tabs were gone even though all the tab info was right there in the Panes folder. It didn't find the license info either so I had to go and handfeed it the serial #. And in spite of assurances to the contrary it apparently overwrote the XYPlorer.ini. When I attempted to look at the ini's in the panes folder XY wouldn't show me any files at - showing the folders to be blank while I could see them clearly in Explorer!

So I pulled out the old zip file of XY 14.6 and overwrote the new exe. It acknowledged that i'd downgraded but continued to show me exactly the same GUI as the 17.9 ver had. No change whatsoever. So I found a backup of my XYPlorer folder and laboriously checked every single file in the folder and all subfolders and copied over all files that were older with Beyond Compare using 2 separate panes of Explorer, cursing under my breath all the time. Because I wanted to know what the offending file was!

Then I fired up the completely downgraded XYPlorer and it once again showed me the same Explorer-like GUI with the same new, worthless tabs as I saw when when I first saw 17.9. My mind tells me that this is impossible but my eyes say different.

Finally I simply deleted the entire XY folder and copied over my backup and that killed the beast. And so i've learned, once again, that ver 14.6 is the end of the XY line for me. Sure I could have kept 17.9 and spent a week or two of intense fulltime frustration attempting to figure out how to make XY do what I want it to do but i'm not as much into self abuse as I used to be.

highend

Post by highend »

Sorry but trying to upgrade a portable with the installer version of XY will... probably fail regardless
of how big the version difference is

Why that?

The installer puts a file called "Startup.ini" in the installation path of XY. This contains
by default this:

Code: Select all

[Appdata]
Path=%appdata%\XYplorer
So the config files are expected to be in that path... And your's probably weren't. That's why the upgrade
"failed".

Here are the portable packages
https://www.xyplorer.com/download.php

Code: Select all

Alternative Packages (ZIP and RAR)

If you prefer to extract the program files manually, choose one of the following packages:
Package	No-Install Package (ZIP)
Edition	XYplorer Pro
Version	17.90.0100 (09-Apr-2017)
File	ZIP archive (4.3 MB)
Notes	Extract to any writable folder and run the application.