content search not returning results for Word documents

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
xyplorerköln

content search not returning results for Word documents

Post by xyplorerköln »

I just tried to use Content search to search for content that I know is in Word documents in a folder.

The search completes and reports zero results.

I searched the forums here and only found instructions for manually installing 32-bit iFilters. This seems surprisingly tedious and manual.

Out of the box, can XYplorer really not search and find content in Word docs? Other third-party software like Jam UltraSearch does this without any manual iFilter installs.

Thoughts?

highend

Re: content search not returning results for Word documents

Post by highend »

It's even in the helpfile...
Other third-party software like Jam UltraSearch does this without any manual iFilter installs
E.g. FileLocator Pro (https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorpro) can do that too and there is even
a script to integrate it with XY (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11197).

Use those tools if you're not happy that someone didn't want to reinvent the wheel? :)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Thanks, highend.

No, I really like XYplorer and I'm not upset that someone didn't reinvent the wheel; it's just that XYplorer comes very close to being a one-stop shop for so many things, but then it's things like this that really slow down a workflow. When I'm working an extremely long day, having to pause to open other applications, re-find and wait to reopen the network location, and start another search multiple times can really add up to wasted time I can't afford to lose. Since XYplorer already has a Content Search feature, I think it would make sense for it to search content in common formats like Word docs. Don't you agree? It's not as if we're talking about some obscure design layout program from the 1980s; it's the world-standard word processing format even today.

PS I had looked through the help and these forums and didn't see anything other than forum recommendations to install iFilters. Can you point me to the relevant place you found in the Help tool? I'd appreciate your help.

highend

Post by highend »

Since XYplorer already has a Content Search feature, I think it would make sense for it to search content in common formats like Word docs
And here we are again, reinventing the wheel?
It's not as if we're talking about some obscure design layout program from the 1980s; it's the world-standard word processing format even today
And therefore iFilters exist to make that content available for all programs that use them (iFilters). Otherwise every program would have been forced to... you guess it... reinvent the wheel ;)
Can you point me to the relevant place you found in the Help tool?
Main Topics - Info Panel - Find Files Tab (or in the find files tab - F1 - would have brought you to the same place)
Scroll down to: Tab "Contents"
Read about iFilters

I'm moving this thread to Questions and Answers, this is not a bug...

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Hi highend -

I suppose that moderating a forum like this over a period of time might cause someone to become frustrated with various queries that, to you, seem trivial, inconsequential, repetitive, and asinine. However, I would like to ask you to consider taking a bit less quarrelsome, incredulous approach with me. Your commentary such as "here we are again" show that you are mocking a forum member who is here in earnest and wants to contribute to the success of XYplorer.

I work in software development and have delivered many projects for companies you've heard of, including Microsoft. I understand the challenges of continuous integration on a platform that supports users with many varied and highly specific needs (as XYplorer itself does). I do not submit requests and inquiries wantonly, and I would ask you to consider my requests and inquiries with a touch of patience.

When I submit a request here in the forums, I consider it in light of the average common user who might discover XYplorer. I submit a request with the idea that I want to see XYplorer succeed, and that my request hopefully will contribute to expansion of the userbase. You are obviously an advanced user and are extremely comfortable with technical solutions such as seeking out iFilters for manual install. But the average user isn't going to understand why XYplorer isn't successfully returning content searches for their average-user content like Word docs. They're not going to open a somewhat complex Help document, find the Content Search section, and then scroll down to an (apparently) unrelated and technical-looking section about iFilters (since the Content Search section itself doesn't reference iFilters). They are just going to assume XYplorer is kludgey and buggy and move on. They won't stop to think about underlying APIs and 32-bit vs. 64-bit support, because they will have moved onto something else. Content search is thought to be a basic component of Windows management, so if that's not working... they're headed elsewhere.

When I work on software projects, I am required to reduce complexity of use for the typical end-user. We even perform monitored user testing, watching user interactions from behind a mirrored wall to see how they engage. If a user takes more than 30 seconds to use a basic feature in a software package designed for wide use (like XYplorer), or appears confused or befuddled, then the app needs to be revised to smooth out the rough edges. And if what - to a user - would be a basic feature (like search in Windows management) suddenly requires manual installation of hard-to-find filter driver files, then in my line of work, that's considered a broken experience. Just my background and thoughts.

Thanks for your reply on the help file. I hadn't seen the iFilter section because it's farther down from the "Content Search" section and they weren't directly linked, so I didn't scroll all the way down.

Although you summarily moved my post to Tips, Tricks, and Questions & Answers, I actually would disagree with this and still consider this to be a bug. Here is why:

1. On a modern Windows 10 64-bit machine with Word 2016, the average user using XYplorer is going to expect Content Search to work on Word docs.
2. On my machine, the pertinent iFilters are already installed. I have verified this using SearchFilterView.
3. Ah, but wait - XYplorer requires 32-bit filters to be installed. But this is 2017, and the preponderance of new machines are 64-bit.
4. I did an extensive search and cannot find any relevant 32-bit iFilters for installation on a Windows 10 64-bit machine for Word 2016 64-bit. In fact, Microsoft no longer appears to publish iFilters beyond Word 2007, from my searches. (Let me know if you can find any for Word 2016.)
5. Therefore, out of the box, XYplorer content search is broken for Word docs, and there is no readily apparent/straightforward way to adjust the system to accommodate Word doc search.

To me, the most straightforward solution would be for XYplorer to support the use of the built-in 64-bit iFilters that come preinstalled with every modern 64-bit Word installation. I believe that request should stand.

Stephen Austin

Post by Stephen Austin »

xyplorerköln , I have just had a similar experience to you, and regret to report that the attitude of the advanced users on this forum has not improved. There is still eye-rolling, and no specific instructions on installing filters to enable XYplorer to do what it is purported to do, except vague waving in the direction of 'you can write a script.' Very disappointing. I shall certainly be looking around for another file manager, after having shelled out the not inexpensive fee for a XYplorer licence.

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Stephen, thanks for your thoughtful and eloquent contribution here.

Despite the response you and I have received on this issue, I would encourage you to stick with XYplorer if you can. Over the last couple years, I've been increasingly convinced that it remains the best file manager available, despite challenges. It's extremely flexible, providing a level of configurability and extensibility that might be hard to find elsewhere. You can really set it up to match your workflow. The author of the app (Don Lessau) is quite responsive and willing to implement feature requests; I believe he genuinely wants to meet customer needs. He's also expressed some level of interest in releasing a 64-bit version of XYplorer at some point in the future, which if built correctly would resolve the content search issue reported herein without him having to specifically build a workaround for the current 32-bit app.

Also, you might want to consider trying the suggested script-based integration of an external search tool as a workaround in the meantime. In the case of jupe's suggestion in your other thread on this topic, there is a ready-made script available for your use. It's really pretty easy to set up and will likely meet your current needs.

I appreciate your being a part of this community and posting your thoughts. I hope you stick around!!

highend

Post by highend »

except vague waving in the direction of 'you can write a script.'
I must have missed something, where is that written?

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Hello highend -

I really do appreciate your advanced knowledge and the technical expertise you bring to these discussions.

However, I have to ask: Do you gain some sort of satisfaction by being abrupt, somewhat rude, and effectively driving customers away from XYplorer? I find your attitude to be repellent, and obviously others do, too.

I understand you may get weary of answering similar requests repeatedly; but while this can be partially attributed to some users' newness to the application and, at times, lack of research and/or capability, it's also a symptom of certain obvious deficiencies in the software as well. You've had plenty of time (and technical proficiency) to know how to handle the edge cases XYplorer presents; someone new with less tech knowledge may not have the same experience. Both Stephen Austin and myself have approached these conversations respectfully, and you lash out at our inquiries with an obvious impatience and disdain.

Why take this approach? Do you enjoy trying to upset people? Do you want Don to lose customers? What's your angle?

highend

Post by highend »

My question is "rude" and I'm "lashing out here"? Huh?

I've only asked a very specific question. Why? Because I'm not a friend of "alternative facts"...
except vague waving in the direction of 'you can write a script.'
There was neither a "vague waving" (it was a direct link and not a: search the forum for it) nor was it a: do something on your own (someone else had already done the work by writing that script)

Enough of being off topic here. If you have a problem with how I answer questions on the forum, complain to Don

The only viable way to get a working .docx search (and equivalent file types) on a 64-bit OS with a 64-bit MS Office installed (especially when talking about anything newer than Office 2010 because MS doesn't provide 32-bit iFilters for these newer versions anymore) is:
- Use Agent Ransack (free) or FileLocator Pro and if you want some kind of integration into XYplorer, use the script from here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11197

Agent Ransack needs the installed MS Office, FileLocator Pro can find these documents and their content even without an installed MS Office

If that's a non-workable solution for anyone she / he is always free to choose a different file manager (that ofc will have it's own problems)...

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Hi highend - thanks for the detailed response. You're right, too - you didn't tell anyone to write a script. I think Stephen Austin was talking generally, like many users might in his situation, about the abrupt and somewhat condescending style of responses he got, which seemed incongruous with his polite and sincere questions. It's treatment like that that, quite literally, will drive people away from XYplorer. People remember this sort of interaction (it's the product's forums, after all) and associate the bad feelings with the product. As someone who presents as an authoritative expert on the product, you de facto inherit the public's perception (and therefore a certain responsibility, wanted or not) that you are a representative of the overall business, too - or, at least, an accepted and authoritative part of the XYplorer community. If the character of that representation is perceived as angry, bitter, resentful, demeaning, this directly detracts from Don's business.

I would ask you to consider: You've been involved with this software for years. You have a high level of sophistication which you can employ to find solutions. You know, in detail, the challenges and limitations of XYplorer. But many users out there are still just discovering XYplorer. They don't know it's the work of a single man; they don't know that it's developed in a practically deprecated coding environment; and they are usually just looking for a quick answer. They see it as a "product" and may not be expecting to have to integrate scripts and third-party tools to perform basic functions like Word .doc/.docx searches. Maybe consider going easier on people who haven't had the same time and experience to be as proficient as you.

Sorry if I was/am too off-topic; I think I was just reacting to your tone, which is part of this thread and which I personally take as abrasive. Your approach sometimes seems callous and disdainful - and since all of us are interested in seeing XYplorer succeed (and being able to use it the way we want in the meantime), your somewhat confrontational responses to fairly innocuous inquiries just seems disproportionate. I'm not trying to attack you, just trying to understand why you're generally so terse.

If you go back and look at some of the threads you've interacted with, you'll see there's a common theme: Frustration and anger seem to escalate when you answer in this manner. I hope you can understand what I mean. Again, I really do appreciate your thorough knowledge and the fact that you've obviously applied a lot of time and skill to obtain the answers you have. I've benefited from your skill and insight, and I'm thankful for it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think XY needs something like ContextMenu64.exe for the contents search, say Contents64.exe. The code to be wrapped around the IFilters is not very large or complex. Is anybody reading this able to write such a small helper app? Input (via command line or WM_COPYDATA): a filename, output: the contents of the file (probably written out to some temp file). Of course, I can provide the code I'm using in XY to call the IFilters. It's just some lines...

With Contents64.exe all issues concerning contents search and contents preview will immediately and completely disappear!

highend

Post by highend »

Send me the code. I'll take a shot if I find enough time

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great, thanks! You'll get it this afternoon.

Note that I also asked the guy that wrote ContextMenu64.exe. If he can include that functionality within ContextMenu64.exe I would prefer that solution, of course.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:Note that I also asked the guy that wrote ContextMenu64.exe. If he can include that functionality within ContextMenu64.exe I would prefer that solution, of course.
So it would become a sort of XYservice64, or in short XY64 ? :D
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman