After upgrading to 17.90 apparent folder size problem

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Bee

After upgrading to 17.90 apparent folder size problem

Post by Bee »

After upgrading to 17.90 my XYplorer does several weird things that may be caused by the new size graphics. When I implemented this it worked with some folders but not others and seemed to get stuck on trying to calculate the folder sizes. For some reason I can no longer use the several tabs I've pinned or close unpinned tabs - when I click on them nothing happens. When I try to close the program I get the message "Abort unfinished operations?" even though there're no apparent background operations, and when I click okay the program still doesn't close and I have to close it via task manager.

I have done a clean install just to see whether some of my configurations are the problem, but that doesn't seem to be it. I'm sorry if my description of the problem isn't very helpful, but I can't narrow it down to anything except that everything worked fine in 17.80.

Thanks in advance for your help.

admin
Site Admin

Re: After upgrading to 17.90 apparent folder size problem

Post by admin »

It cannot be the size graphics. They do nothing special, just a little super-fast drawing.

Do you use any Custom Columns?
Do you use Folder Size Caching?

Bee

Post by Bee »

I use both custom columns and folder size caching.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You say "seemed to get stuck"... wasn't it just calculating the folder sizes? This takes time.

Bee

Post by Bee »

I figured something like this at first and left the program on for several hours, but even then folder sizes were not displayed correctly, I couldn't switch between tabs or close them and I still got the "Abort unfinished operations?" when I tried to close the program. And in my experience, when XYplorer calculates something for a longer amount of time (like opening a folder with many files and custom columns), I usually can't do anything with the program until it is done. But in this situation even though I couldn't use my tabs or the right pane correctly, I could still navigate via the tree.

Also, it never got stuck on calculating the folder sizes before, and my folders haven't changed since 17.80. I'm using Windows 10 (64 Bit) on a newish computer, BTW.

highend

Post by highend »

Did you exclude xplorer and xycopy.exe from your antivirus solution?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Bee

Post by Bee »

Thanks for the suggestion. It's never been necessary before, but I've just tried it (with Kaspersky Internet Security). Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bee wrote:I figured something like this at first and left the program on for several hours, but even then folder sizes were not displayed correctly, I couldn't switch between tabs or close them and I still got the "Abort unfinished operations?" when I tried to close the program. And in my experience, when XYplorer calculates something for a longer amount of time (like opening a folder with many files and custom columns), I usually can't do anything with the program until it is done. But in this situation even though I couldn't use my tabs or the right pane correctly, I could still navigate via the tree.

Also, it never got stuck on calculating the folder sizes before, and my folders haven't changed since 17.80. I'm using Windows 10 (64 Bit) on a newish computer, BTW.
Okay, this indeed looks like a bug. Some flag was not reset. Did you also see the hourglass cursor?

And the main question: Can you repeat the problem and if yes, how?

Bee

Post by Bee »

admin wrote: Okay, this indeed looks like a bug. Some flag was not reset. Did you also see the hourglass cursor?

And the main question: Can you repeat the problem and if yes, how?
No, I do not see the hourglass cursor. That I see when I open a folder with several hundred files and custom columns and the like, but there's an obvious end to the operation when the folder opens with all files, all the columns are displayed correctly and the hourglass disappears.

I've been downgrading and upgrading between 17.80 and 17.90 several times now and the problem immediately occurs once 17.90 opens after install. As I said, tree navigation works without delay, but tabs don't open and folder sizes are not displayed even though they just were in 17.80. Individual file sizes work, though. The "Abort unfinished operations?" problem occurs immediately as well.

There's nothing specific that I have done for the problem to occur except for navigating through my files and folders the way I always do, so I don't know how you could recreate it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could this just be an upgrading hick-up (although we very rarely see that with XYplorer)? I.e. does it disappear when you close and reopen 17.90?

Bee

Post by Bee »

No, the problems persist. I cannot close the XYplorer in a regular way because of the unfinished operations question. When I close via task manager and then open the software again, I have the same set of problems again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, which Custom Columns do you have in that list?

Bee

Post by Bee »

I deleted my custom columns (they all related to docx properties that I no longer need) and reset the list to its original status, but the problem is still there.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does this happen only in one particular folder?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well anyway, I try a fix in the next beta.