After upgrading to 17.90 apparent folder size problem

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Bee

Re: After upgrading to 17.90 apparent folder size problem

Post by Bee »

Okay, so I did another clean install and configured everything to my specifications and this is how I found out that the problem indeed started the moment I was creating new custom columns. I may have misunderstood what you meant by custom columns list the first time around, I thought you meant the one you can access via the configurations panel. My custom columns in my folders are things like "audio tracks" and "aspect ratio" for media files or "word count" and "author" for office files.

I hope that helps.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you try v17.90.0002?

Bee

Post by Bee »

I tried the new version. I could apply custom columns for office documents without problems, but those folders have no subfolders. Folders with media content AND subfolders still don't work with custom columns. I get the same problems I had before.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So you still get the "Abort unfinished operations?" message? Then I'd like to see a screenshot of this (I added some debug info in this version).

Bee

Post by Bee »

I just realised that the same problem still occurred with my office custom columns too, so I guess it is all custom columns regardless of subfolders or file type. I've attached the screenshot.
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (16.59 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Are you using the <cc_size> variable in any of your Custom Columns?

2) Are you sure that folder size calculation is finished when you are trying to exit the app?

Bee

Post by Bee »

admin wrote:1) Are you using the <cc_size> variable in any of your Custom Columns?
I'm not sure what you mean.
admin wrote:2) Are you sure that folder size calculation is finished when you are trying to exit the app?
No, I'm not sure. When I remove the custom columns the calculation takes only a couple of seconds. In the same folder with custom columns I will get the hourglass for minutes on end and the message "getting folder sizes" in the status bar (pressing escape to stop the calculation doesn't work either). When I navigate to another folder and then back to the original one I get no folder sizes displayed at all and I get the "Abort unfinished operations" message when I try to quit the program. I think the calculation is still on the background but why does it take so long in the first place when my folder sizes and custom columns are still the same as in the last version? And as I've said in the beginning - I've allowed for the calculation to work for several hours and it never finished.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No need to wait for hours. I'd say if it takes more than 10 secs then something is wrong.

Since you are the only one reporting this problem it's probably time to show what you got. I mean your Custom Column definitions. Please show them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pro Tip: Right-click the Clear button and click "Copy as Snippet", a cool way to copy the complete column definition to the clipboard.
Attachments
CCCopyAsSnippet.png
CCCopyAsSnippet.png (16.84 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

Bee

Post by Bee »

You mean the definitions in my screenshot? As I said, the ones I had in there were old office custom columns that I realised I could now simply pick from the "select property" dialogue for undefined new columns (I don't think this was the case years back when I first created them). So I reset the list, thinking that this might solve the problem (but it didn't).

The custom columns I mean are the ones I pick via the aforementioned dialogue. Those are (and I only have the German names because I'm on a German system): Betreff, Wortanzahl, Markierungen, Kommentare, Autoren, Genre, Audio tracks, Bildbreite, Bildhöhe. I thought they were also called custom columns.
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (45.74 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, but I don't see a solution yet. Actually I don't see a problem neither. Could you please post a screenshot of the complete main XYplorer window with all the list columns visible (in that state when you cannot close the app)?

Bee

Post by Bee »

Here you go.
Attachments
This is the Windows folder with custom columns and no folder size information.
This is the Windows folder with custom columns and no folder size information.
Unbenannt.png (164.48 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
This is the Windows folder without custom columns and correct folder size information.
This is the Windows folder without custom columns and correct folder size information.
Unbenannt2.png (207.56 KiB) Viewed 1543 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, let's first look at the one without folder sizes and the message box popping up. I tried to rebuild the exact same view but have no problem here at all.

1) What other settings did you modify (compared to the factory default)?

2) when exactly does the problem appear? (open this tab? go to that folder in that tab? startup on that tab?)

Bee

Post by Bee »

admin wrote:1) What other settings did you modify (compared to the factory default)?
I modified quite a lot of them. I could post screencaps from the configurations, but that would take some time. Are there any settings you suspect could have something to do with this? Maybe it would be enough to only post specific panels from the configuration?
admin wrote:2) when exactly does the problem appear? (open this tab? go to that folder in that tab? startup on that tab?)
I navigate to the folder I want to use the custom column with. I pick the property (for example Bildbreite) and it gets immediately applied and folder sizes keep getting displayed correctly. I navigate to another folder via tabs and then back to the one with the custom column. I get the message "getting folder sizes" in the status bar and the hour glass. Folder and file sizes still get displayed correctly, but I can't switch between tabs anymore. I wait for a while for the operation to finish but it doesn't. When I navigate out of the folder again (via the tree) and then back I get the view that's in the screenshot in my previous post with the Windows folder. No folder sizes get displayed and I can't close the program. File sizes are correctly displayed, though.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, hard to say. Let's forget about the settings for a while.

I tried ro replicate your moves but cannot create the problem.

Out of ideas.

:|