Use scroll margin to stay centered with selection

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
iycgtptyarvg

Use scroll margin to stay centered with selection

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

There is a new feature called scroll margin : Tools/Configuration/General/Menus,Mouse,Safety/Usability/Scroll margin.

The suggestion was to set the scroll margin to 2 or so to 'look ahead' a little bit when scrolling through the file list.
But, did you know that if you set the number very high (say, 100), you'll keep your selection in the file list centered? This is a feature some text editors also have to keep the cursor in the center of the screen to give you maximum overview.

Maybe very obvious, but I REALLY like it.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

bdeshi

Re: Use scroll margin to stay centered with selection

Post by bdeshi »

Cool! :tup:
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Hi, iycgtptyarvg.

Could you please state some of those programs you mentioned have the feature and under which name?
Twice at least I suggested this to note-takers to have such in writing mode, none listened. It's really comfortable to have it active indeed.

Bunnies are spreading...
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

iycgtptyarvg wrote:Maybe very obvious, but I REALLY like it.
It's not 100% a side-effect. I worked a little to make it happen. Did not care to document it though. Nice that you discovered it. :)

iycgtptyarvg

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

SkyFrontier wrote:Hi, iycgtptyarvg.

Could you please state some of those programs you mentioned have the feature and under which name?
Twice at least I suggested this to note-takers to have such in writing mode, none listened. It's really comfortable to have it active indeed.

Bunnies are spreading...
Sorry for the late reply, but I don't seem to be getting any notifications on threads where I post messages anymore (why?).

Some examples are Vim and eMacs. But, other text editors (especially when they support plug-ins) may support this feature.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

No problem.

I also noticed erratic notifications for a thread I signed up but never bothered investigating. Will keep an eye on this...

I've used Cream for a while (as well as for very specific tasks, until it got replaced by another tool - and XY, to some extent) but never noticed a feature in that fashion.

1. how could I enable it on Cream?
2. does Cream (or Vim) support a basic 'theming', like black/dark background for white fonts?

Thanks!
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...