Preview plugins

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
MIRKOSOFT

Preview plugins

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

Hi!

I'm here new. Approx. 2 weeks ago I replaced Windows Explorer by XYplorer.
I have two Q to preview pane.

I'm working with retrocomputers and Windows Explorer has plugins which displays in preview of explorer content of diskimages or screens preview.
Q is: Is possible to import any preview plugins from Explorer?

2nd Q is I mean simpler: What a plugin to use for displaying PDF file in preview pane?

Thank you for help.
Miro

bdeshi

Re: Preview plugins

Post by bdeshi »

MIRKOSOFT wrote:2nd Q is I mean simpler: What a plugin to use for displaying PDF file in preview pane?
installing a pdf reader that previews pdfs in internet explorer should help. PDF-XChange reader has generally worked well with XYplorer.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

I own PDF X-change Editor.
How to associateit with XYplorer?

Thank you.
Miro

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

It should work in the preview pane by default.

See if Configuration > Previewed Formats > Office Files is checked and has pdf in it.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

There is...
When select PDF file it reports in preview pane "Preview is not available"

Also one Q: Is possible to select which program has to create preview? You wrote that PDF X-Change Viewer, I own PDFXchg Editor, but can I select if want other?
Miro

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PDFXchg Editor should work. But you need the 32-bit version installed. Usually it is automatically installed.

See https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFpreview

MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

:(

I have installed 64-bit PDF X-Change Editor...
Really I don't want to install any program for other program etc. to make Windows application overloaded.
Q is - is possible to use any portable app? With this I have no problem 'cause I'm using all possible protable apps to avoid overloading Windows.

Miro

highend

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

I readed it fast only, now I'm going to dentist... I saw in text DLL.

I have one DLL for preview disk image formats for Explorer - is possible to associate this DLL with XYplorer?

Miro

highend

Post by highend »

That link is for pdf previews, not any unknown disk image format .dll

MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

Hi!

Thank you for link!

I downloaded Editor installer and portable Viewer, Editor installed on virtual Machine, copied shell extensions.
Then I unzipped portable Viewer, followed steps in link and now PDF preview works.

To Q about other shell extensions - disk image shell extension for Windows Explorer - and other, is possible to create anything similar?
I'm XYbeginner, so, can I post to forum this Q - no only specific for my wish - global how to embedd shell extensions to XYplorer...

Miro

highend

Post by highend »

Depends. If that extension registers a 32 bit preview handler (e.g. in a 32-bit virtual machine) you could monitor
it's installation process (total uninstall, process monitor, whatever), create / export a .reg file and do it in the same
way as I've done it in the link. Ofc you need the correct (32-bit) .dll and you need to make sure that the changes
will be placed in the Wow6432Node when imported on a 64-bit system...

MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

Ok, I can try, I will try to do similar steps like is in PDF preview and its install batch files.
I have correct DLL, it's used for Explorer and even is named so it can be recognized... I know that named can be everything with that name, but it's program which has very clean install.
If I will have no idea how to continue, I try to contact author of PDF preview topic.

Miro

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Another PDF program that ought to work for previews is the 32-bit version of SumatraPDF - which is a rather nice open source reader (that also handles many other formats).

I myself am a little between bitness (and need to change some things over when I get around to it). It certainly does fine with previews when using it in 64-bit and a 64-bit version of Everything.

(There's also a 32-bit portable version, for those of you creating custom USB drives.)

MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

I own Universal Viewer which I want to add to view files.

It can view text (txt, rtf, doc, docx, pdf), images, videos and many more formats - always when I don't know how to open file I select Universal Viewer.
It can be useful, can anybody help with doing it?

Thank you very much!

Miro