Feature? In Search Results & Branch View, dragging a file onto another moves file to root folder of search/branch

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Jerry

Feature? In Search Results & Branch View, dragging a file onto another moves file to root folder of search/branch

Post by Jerry »

In Search Results and Branch View, dragging a file onto another file will move the file into the root folder of the search or branch view. Is this actually a feature? If so, is there a way to turn it off? This seems to explain the heretofore mysterious appearances of files in my toplevel folders.

[Using 17.60.0001]
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature? In Search Results & Branch View, dragging a file onto another moves file to root folder of search/branch

Post by admin »

"onto another file" ... you might think so but if that file is not highlighted it's not the target of the drop. What you are actually doing is dropping to the root of the view.

Jerry

Re: Feature? In Search Results & Branch View, dragging a file onto another moves file to root folder of search/branch

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:"onto another file" ... you might think so but if that file is not highlighted it's not the target of the drop. What you are actually doing is dropping to the root of the view.

Ok, so there is a logic here about it. (Though, the move occurs even if you drag the file onto itself, and in that case the file IS highlighted, but yes, because it was initially selected as the source of the drag.)

Still, this behavior is problematic. While I suppose some people really want to do this kind of drag/move intentionally when in this context, I suspect it occurs more often by accident for other users, like myself. And the accident usually goes unnoticed --- depending on the sort order of the list you may not see any visual change in the list, just a flash of activity and the status bar info change from the file name back to the root name. Consider that I only just discovered it now, after using XY for over 6 years on a daily basis. Finally, and the most serious aspect of this problem, is that when you do come across the accidentally moved file on some later date, it may be hard to figure out where the file was moved from, especially if the source folder no longer resides under that root folder. One may also discover the missing item in the source folder later on, but at least now I know where to look for it, unless again, the folder was relocated.

Admittedly, it's not a problem that occurs frequently for me, but some people are more accident-prone with the mouse than others. I do think, therefore, that some optional warning popup about this action is warranted, for just this context; it shouldn't be necessary to have to enable drag & drop confirmation globally.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I fully agree (now). :tup:

Those moves won't happen anymore. Only when you drop on empty space.