Drag and drop - SQL Files

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
VeeGee

Drag and drop - SQL Files

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
Using the latest stable (lifetime). I am able to drag and drop many different file types out of XY into other windows, Desktop, into Notepad++, etc.; however, I am unable to do this with .SQL files into the SQL Server Studio Management Studio window. It does work from normal Windows Explorer. Doing this from XY, I get the "ghostbuster" sign on the mouse cursor. If I drop the .SQL on Notepad++, it works. It just doesn't recognize the SSMS window.

Any setting(s) to check on my end ? or are not all file types supported in drag and drops ? I can most likely work around this, and as I have recently switch to XY permanently, I am documenting my every day tasks that require a little forum search, Tools/Options, etc.

highend

Re: Drag and drop - SQL Files

Post by highend »

I don't do a lot of drag and drop so, what is a ghostbuster mouse cursor?

Apart from that, Windows Explorer and SSMS aren't running with admin permissions (that's normally the only thing that stops programs from interacting)?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

The "ghostbuster" icon is the circle w/the slash through, e.g. no-go, nada, zippo, no droppy here.

Using Windows 10 x64 (Anniversary Update), both applications are "Run as Administrator" and my account is in the Administrators Group. What I did different and it is now working is the following :

-instead of "Run As Administrator" for XY (from right-clicking the icon), I modified the pinned shortcut on my Taskbar for XY and checked off the "Run this program as Administrator" - voila, it's working. You would think both options "as Administrator" would be the same, apparently they are not.

Thanks for the hint to look in that direction.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Update. Thanks again for the hint, the SQL drag and drop does work when starting as Administrator. Bad news, I've had to disable that option in my shortcut as I discovered a deal breaker for me/my setup.

I use Quick Access Popup (http://www.quickaccesspopup.com/), a replacement for DirectFolders. This freeware allows me to click my middle-mouse button and have a list of my folders, apps, etc. and quickly navigate to them. It can even be configured to work with XY. Today I discovered that it no longer works when XY is in Administrator mode. Turn off Administrator mode, QAP works inside XY. Enable it, no workie.

Oh well, now I know the answer to both. Based on my QAP vs. SQL drag and drop per day usage, QAP is a clear winner so Administrator is staying off.

highend

Post by highend »

Or you just start Quick Access Popup with admin permissions as well...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

...and it worked ! Thanks again. To avoid any program confusion, I set the Tabs / "middle-click" to "Nothing". XY works. QAP works. Drag-and-drop to SQL works as well.