Cannot move columns in lists [SOLVED!]

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
fabvit2

Cannot move columns in lists [SOLVED!]

Post by fabvit2 »

If I try to drag and drop a column header to rearrange it, nothing happens.
Please note that on my home laptop that I can rearrange column.
Both pc have the very same version 17.60 and the very same config file XYplorer.ini

What else can block rearranging columns via drag and drop columns headers?

In the help file is stated:

Columns can be reordered by dragging
List columns can be mouse-dragged to the position you prefer: hold the mouse down on a column header and drag to the new position.
Last edited by fabvit2 on 22 Feb 2017 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

fabvit2

Re: Cannot move columns in lists

Post by fabvit2 »

Never mind: SOLVED!

1. closed XYPlorer
2. deleted the folder C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes
3. restarted XYPlorer

the config of each pane are obviously gone, but at least column dragging is functional again

admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot move columns in lists [SOLVED!]

Post by admin »

Hm. Again (like someone else yesterday) a user completely overreacts and throws aways his installation just to solve a little problem? 1 minute after he posted the question??? What's up people? Don't panic! This is the place where problems are solved quickly and in a civil manner. Peace. :maf:

This could have been solved by ticking this: Tools | Customize List | Column Drag

fabvit2

Post by fabvit2 »

Thank you so much for the reply and the solution.
Yes I definitely overreacted but I really was in a hurry: next time I will think twice and I will be less impulsive:-)

Thank you anyway: this info is really good to know

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

And if you really are in a hurry in such a stuation: just download a current xy..._noinstall.zip, extract it to any new folder you have read/write access to, and start the included XYplorer.exe. It doesn't take longer than a new, clean installation - and doesn't affect your installed XY in any way.

(You even might want to do it now, to be prepared, and also to test and play with it - but then it might be pretty old when you really need it.)
(Sure - you sometimes could extract a new version "over" this old one.)
(Even more: you might have different versions of XY in different folders...)
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

fabvit2

Post by fabvit2 »

Thank you PeterH: good to know the noinstall.zip trick: I will try today to be prepared.
Being honest I never had real blocking issue wih XYPlorer, only small problem from time to time due primarly to my ignorance :-)

thank you again for all who helped!

fabvit

Re: Cannot move columns in lists [REOPENED!]

Post by fabvit »

Had to reopen this issue :-)
Today I was again unable to rearrange column headers by dragging them!
So, following the advice of Donald, I double-checked under Tools, Customize List, Column Drag and, to my surprise it was checked. So I first un-checked it, then checked it again and: ta-da! column drag was again functional.
I really cannot imagine what caused this behavior, anyway I will keep an eye on it and, in case I will discover a reproducible pattern I will post here