How to create a middle toolbar?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
highend

Re: How to create a middle toolbar?

Post by highend »

You could add a tweak that puts <x> pixels between both panes (and only if both are visible)

I'd write an AHK addon that adds buttons and moves with XY's window (position, size) accordingly...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the offer, but I rather do some other things first.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

While it has never been a deal-breaker for me, I do think the toolbar between dual panes (either vertical or horizontal) would be a very nice addition.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you all for the replies. I was surprised to see this much activity.

admin - I thought about your idea (a) and the hamburger icon. If we won't get a customizable toolbar, I think the hamburger icon would be fantastic, as long as we could choose which commands were accessible through it. When comparing breadcrumb bars between products, DO does allow for custom icons to be placed there, which I have done. XY's breadcrumb bar does have a lot of extra space, adding a drop-down button on the left could end up being very useful. I could easily train myself to use that vs. a full-size toolbar. I don't find it difficult to use those buttons, even on my monitor setup (currently running high dpi, triple 27's, laptop lid up for a 4th).

Is it possible to update the breadcrumb bar to be toolbar-like and allow for icons to be placed there ?

I tracked my middle toolbar usage throughout the workday yesterday and my number one commands used were the Copy To, Move To and New Folder options. I work remote, so I do a lot of copy/moving between main network and home. Having those options eye level, right in front of what I am doing is priceless. I did end up using the other custom ones that I had pinned (Add to Collection (their Paper Folders), Command Prompt here and Copy File Names/Path).

Would it be much effort to add the hamburger to a beta ? Just to get an idea of how it would look and function.

NS-Zero

Post by NS-Zero »

I think your plan A B is a new good idea.

For Dual Horizontal Panes your plan can use instead of middle toolbar.

But For Dual Vertical Panes your plan cannot instead of middle toolbar because difference position.

Hopefully, you will implement your plan first then middle toolbar. :biggrin:

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon all,
Thinking a little more on this and trying to come up w/something that would be beneficial to dual-pane users and (hopefully) easy for Don to implement. Would it possible (and maybe easier) to add Copy To Other Pane and Move To Other Pane context menu entries when (1) right-clicking on files/folders (not whitespace) and (2) maybe only make them visible when dual-panes are enabled. I'm thinking with these added, heck, I may not need a toolbar or breadcrumb buttons.

I know I can right-click now and go Move/Copy/Backup To / then another menu / then another menu / then another..., you get the point, too many levels. Maybe something like :

------------
To Clipboard
Rename Special
Move/Copy/Backup To
Show 64-bit Context Menu
------------
Copy To Other Pane
Move To Other Pane
------------
Open
Edit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the input, there are some cool ideas. I think I know what I will be doing tomorrow... :tup:

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

I saw the update and downloaded the latest beta. All of settings were still on the machine, nothing there was lost. I didn't start customizing menus/toolbars yet; however, I have used right-click, Copy to Other Pane and Move context menu's 12 times in the last 30 minutes. It is right there, front and center for my layout, very little mouse movement to click them.

Very, very nice. :appl: Thank you for the additions.

Update. Read further down the notes, enabled the new hamburger button - awesome. Looks and fits nice into the bar. Have also used commands on that now as well. I'll have to re-read up on the SC menus, been a while since I tinkered w/that level of custom entries. So far, these changes are very welcomed and have proven extremely useful (and time saving).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's great. :D I'm also quite happy with the looks of the hamburger, adds a nice kick to the crumb look.

The planned tweakability of the hamburger will be exactly along the lines of the new popupmenu() syntax, which means you have incredible power here (though this is surely an advanced feature for folks that know how to deal with syntax).

NS-Zero

Post by NS-Zero »

Test in 18.00.0007

Hamburger is very useful & easy use although it isn't middle toolbar.
But it enough for me.

And Adding "Move/copy to Other Pane" to context menu is very good.

Thank you!!! :appl:

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
I've been able to start customizing the new beta on a different machine. New to custom menu editing and I have been searching the forums for most of the morning to get tips, etc.

Where do I find a list of the functions that have a colon prefix, e.g. :copypath ? I have found (and used) the ID numbers - either visually on the menus or using the Customize Keyboard Shortcuts / Options / To clipboard feature, but I haven't found a list of the functions (if that is the correct name).

As a quick test, I wanted to add the "Copy Item/Names" below the :copypath entry. I was able to do it using the ID number, but for consistency I was looking for the colon command (ooh, sounds bad).

Forgive my weak search-fu.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Code: Select all

- The toolbar buttons have to be stated by the button key prefixed with ":". 
        Tip: Hold CTRL while you click "Customize Toolbar..." to see the 
        button keys in the button listing.
But there isn't a toolbar button for each command. "Copy Item/Names" does not exist.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you for the quick reply. Again, new to this type of customizing.

I was able to do this so far and it seems to work :
Capture01.PNG
Capture01.PNG (7.93 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Capture02.PNG
Capture02.PNG (11.05 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Instead of using the # entries, I was thinking each command had a : command and I would use those. Is this an acceptable way of doing these customizations ? or should I use another method ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Each command has a #-number (= "command ID"), but not each command has a toolbar button with a graphics (:buttonkey).

You can however assign icons of your choice to the #-number defined items. Check out the help for scripting command popupmenu().

Tacobellrox
Location: Planet Earth (You can usually find me and my co-workers most weekdays @ lunch time @ Taco Bell)

Post by Tacobellrox »

Hello,
I don't know if I am posting this in the correct feed but is there a way to add a "This Computer" button to the xyployer toolbar so that it is only a single click to focus on the entire computer for a search?