How to create a middle toolbar?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
xy_fan

Re: How to create a middle toolbar?

Post by xy_fan »

OK, I did run it as advised (from the command line) and XYplorer did start but in evaluation mode and with all the tweaks missing (no double pane, catalog, etc...) What am I doing wrong?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Re-check that you copied all contents of <xydata>.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
It's been a while and I thought I'd check in and see where the middle toolbar status is. XY is still my Explorer replacement; however, I have started using DO more often for my daily file routines. One of the reasons is the middle toolbar. For me, the way I work w/dual panes w/the size of my monitors, it saves so much time and mouse-moving. All the commands I need, copy to, move to, etc. are right there where I need them. I haven't really used or needed any of the latest release features and am holding out for a few of my requests - maybe they will make it in (this and rocker support for the mouse - currently using StrokesPlus to add rocker support to XY).

Hope all is well w/all here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good afternoon,

1) which buttons are you actually using in that middle toolbar?

2) vertical or horizontal toolbar, or both?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

admin wrote:1) which buttons are you actually using in that middle toolbar?
Currently I have a filter button, 3 custom buttons (add to their version of Paper Folders and Commit), Copy, Move, Rename, Delete, New Folder, Command Prompt Here, Print Folder and Properties.
admin wrote:2) vertical or horizontal toolbar, or both?
Horizontal. Pane 1 is on top, middle toolbar in between and Pane 2 on the bottom. The Metadata window and your Property window on the bottom. Currently the top pane has locked folders and 2 Paper Folders. These are "my" folder, e.g. Documents, Downloads, etc. The bottom pane has all my working windows and current projects (8 total tabs, all locked).

I've arranged the buttons so I can focus on the middle of the screen and use them no matter what pane or tab is selected, all without moving the mouse much or right-clicking. I would add more XY buttons if a bar was there. They are currently at the top. I use the copy path, file name buttons a lot and a few other quick ones.

Like I mentioned, XY is still configured as the default Explorer replacement. There really are too many that are better IMO over other products. For me, a customizable toolbar in the middle would probably lead me to stop trialing other applications. In DO, what was nice was the "extra" toolbar was defaulted up on top, next to the "main" toolbar. Right-click, customize, drag from top to in between the panes and I was done.

I know there are people here that don't need or want it. What I do like about XY (and DO) is so far I can use what I want and turn off what I don't. Really flexible. I see this the same way. Users that do dual panes w/heavy amount of tabs and file operations would probably love it. Those that want a cleaner UI can turn it off. Win win.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to reply.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the detailed reply!

However, I don't see the middle toolbar coming. It's just so outdated, so last millenium.

Did you ever try to use the Catalog for it? You can pack every existing XY command into the Catalog and when positioned in the right spot the mouse travels might be greatly shortened for you.

Of course, nothing beats leaving the mouse in the garage and using keyboard shortcuts... ;)

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Well, I think my my mapped drives sum up how I feel about your decision, just plain :
2017-06-11_12-15-35.png
2017-06-11_12-15-35.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Thank you for being honest about your decision. Based on this, I have decided to move away from XY and have since uninstalled it. Using DO w/the middle toolbar has really helped out the way that I work. It may not be for everyone, but it is for me. With the exception of one last issue, I haven't had any trouble recreating my XY setup/layout in DO. Between that and hearing that this feature won't be coming, it made the decision pretty easy to make the jump. Although uninstalled, I do have a lifetime license and may check new release notes from time to time and see if there is enough to make me jump back.

I wish you and XY all the best in the future. It is truly an amazing product. Take care.

NS-Zero

Post by NS-Zero »

+1

As you said "It's just so outdated, so last millenium." but it very useful for someone want to use it.
If you add middle toolbar i will use it for basis file operation such as copy cut past and etc. I always use.
I will use Catalog for advance function that xyplorer have many function but I sometimes (or normally) use.

Now I use catalog for advance function include some basis file operation but it don't comfortable because my catalog is too much function.
Sometime I just copy file from pane2 to pane1 I have to scroll catalog for use that.

Last I think shortcuts is older than middle toolbar :twisted:

P.S. XYplorer use middle toolbar concept in Customize Toolbar. :titter:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A) That's why I was asking about which buttons should be in that toolbar. If it's just "copy to other pane" and "move to other pane" I could add them to the Breadcrumb Bar...

B) Another (more involved and a little crazy) possibility would be a fly-out toolbar: You move (hover) the mouse over a sensitive area in the Breadcrumb Bar and a small toolbar appears with a couple of buttons. It disappears when a button is clicked.

I think plan A is something I could even like and use myself... :)

highend

Post by highend »

In the end it would "just" be another toolbar (multiple toolbars were requested multiple times)
but with an "unusual" placement. I don't think that's such a bad idea. If this would be a real
toolbar you can add any button you want, e.g. a user defined with a quick sync between
panes, etc.

It may look outdated but mouse users would profit from it a lot...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And what about my plan A?

highend

Post by highend »

Mh, not a big fan of that plan ;)

Breadcrumb bars are rather small -> Icons on it would be rather tiny
Limited availability of functions

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What about a hamburger icon in the breadcrumb bar that would open a small menu with a couple of useful functions?

highend

Post by highend »

I don't think that this would work for those who would like to a have vertical button bar between the two panes.

Even the hamburger menu would be tiny in comparison to a button on a bar. More so on 4 / 5 k screens
The breadcrumb bar can be very far away from the buttons that are in between both panes and in the end
that's what these people want / need. Easy to reach, large enough buttons directly where they need them
the most

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I think you are right.

So I will leave that share of users to the competition.