How to create a middle toolbar?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
xy_fan

How to create a middle toolbar?

Post by xy_fan »

Dear Support and Users,

I hope this message finds you well.

If XY is configured with two horizontal panes (side by side), is there a way to create and insert a 'middle' toolbar between them. I need a few commands like copy, move, delete, etc. on a middle bar between the panes, as this is the most convenient location for those commands concerning file operations between the two panes.

Best regards,
xy_fan

highend

Re: How to create a middle toolbar?

Post by highend »

Welcome to the forum.

There is no way to create such a toolbar
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon all,
Is this something that is on the development schedule ? I find it odd to not have an option for it at least. I searched the forums and see several posts about not wanting it, simplicity, etc.; however, if it was an option, people could make the choice to use it or not. I know I would use this bar heavily - triple 34's, screen space isn't an issue, mainly for the buttons to copy/move between panes - seems like a natural place for these types of commands.

Maybe have it attached to the bottom of Pane 1. When I was testing other Explorer-replacements, they all seemed to have this (if it had dual panes). I have settled on XY (lifetime) and do love it, especially now that I can use my middle-button to activate and switch windows using QuickAccessFolders.

Thank you for the consideration.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's not planned.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you for your quick response. If you don't mind, is there any particular reason why it is not planned ? Possibly a limitation of the development software. With what you've been able to accomplish with this software and the speed you are able to churn out new features, fixes, etc., it would almost seem like a simple thing for you to do (I've read a few of your "could add on a Saturday afternoon" posts). I realize that a lot of people are against adding more than one toolbar; however, with a dual pane feature, it really should be considered a necessity. It just feels right to be there.

While testing DOPUS, it was really fast to move/copy files between panes. The file selections are center screen and with a slight shift up/down, there are the move/copy buttons in the center toolbar. XY (lifetime) is my current "Explorer" and I really do like a lot of the features. I even try to come up with new ideas for XY, but almost everything is covered in the app or via a script. This feature is really the only item that I feel is missing.

Take care.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, thanks for the insight. I should have said "it's not planned at the moment". That does not mean thumbs down forever. Technically it would be no problem at all.

Is there any particular reason why it is not planned ? Well, maybe it's because I have a rather small monitor by today's standards. To me a middle toolbar feels crowded, overloaded, and somehow outdated. Might be personal thing.

xy_fan

Post by xy_fan »

Actually, a middle bar is a great thing. I am saying this as a user of Directory Opus. You can put all the frequently used file operations shortcuts there (copy, move, delete, rename, etc.), the shortcut for "copy folder address to clipboard", as well as the arrows for folder navigation. At the moment I have to move the cursor all the way up and left to get to those arrows (go back, go up in the folder tree) and it is not convenient.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

xy_fan wrote:...and it is not convenient.
It's tiresome, actually.

+1.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Wait.
This is why I wrote THIS: toolbooster - tamed toolbars
...with a video!
https://youtu.be/3dvf7N9hzfs

So it's not a middle toolbar. It's a ANYWHEREbar, POPUNDERTHECURSORbar! :ninja:

//yes, I lost my installations and... oh, forget it.

EDIT: Sorry, this isn't what I'm looking for. I recall I made some sort of 'flying toolbar', which may or may not be this (I'm confused by the screen captures):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14409
Anyway I'm investigating and will bring the relevant stuff up to date if necessary, when I find the time.

EDIT 2: For those who may concern, yes, BOTH scripts are working with current XY v17.50, yes, they both can serve as floating toolbars, yes, they need some update so they get newer buttons since their release and the "toolbooster" thing seems to be more flexible, comfortable and feature rich, mainly for dealing with the main toolbar customization when it comes to make a major change on it.
Last edited by SkyFrontier on 17 Feb 2017 13:46, edited 2 times in total.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

highend

Post by highend »

I guess those people want always visible buttons that they can click?

I asked Don if he would at least add a few tweaks (e.g. a free area between left / right | upper / lower pane)
and than I would have written a tool that allows to add a user configurable toolbar to it but the arguments
were the same (outdated, archaic). I think he's right but opinions differ and I guess if enough users
express their need for it... Let's see if he changes his mind :ball: (Bayern vs. Arsenal)

xy_fan

Post by xy_fan »

Hello everybody,

I will only say this:

1. Directory Opus. I use it daily, but I don't like having to pay for it every year or so.
2. I do own an XYplorer lifetime upgrade license, but I am not currently using it. Why? It is the small things:
– No middle bar.
– No dedicated Favourites toolbar (yes, I do know about Catalog, but it cannot be positioned horizontally above the panes).
– Takes twice longer to load. Maybe longer.
– I have to click on its icon to open it. With Directory Opus all I need is a quick double click anywhere on the desktop.

These are all the differences that matter to me between Directory Opus and XYplorer file managers for Windows. And it is more than enough.

Best,
XY_fan

highend

Post by highend »

Takes twice longer to load. Maybe longer.
Interesting. Maybe you open a thread for your "problem" and post a screenshot after executing this script

Code: Select all

text get("loadtimes");
I have to click on its icon to open it. With Directory Opus all I need is a quick double click anywhere on the desktop
That's really! bad. Clicking on an icon. And you want toolbars you can click on? Makes sense!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

xy_fan wrote: – I have to click on its icon to open it. With Directory Opus all I need is a quick double click anywhere on the desktop.
This is a function of Windows, not of DO. I assume it's a registry setting. XYplorer, being a portable app, does not fiddle with the registry unless it's really useful for many users and only if the user actively triggers it. (I have no idea how DO handles this, so this is not about pointing out a difference or superiority or so; just talking about XY.)

xy_fan

Post by xy_fan »

OK, I have just made a video with Directory Opus and XYplorer, so that you can see for yourself that XYplorer is more than 2 times slower than Directory Opus when opening. Directory Opus takes 1.88 seconds to load on average, and XYplorer takes 4.05 seconds to load on average. Tell me where I can upload it and I will.

highend

Post by highend »

There is no need for a video.

Post the output of

Code: Select all

text get("loadtimes");
and additionally a screenshot of
Menu - Help - Hold left CTRL key, left click on the entry "Various Information"