History vs. Recent Locations

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
JLoftus

History vs. Recent Locations

Post by JLoftus »

This post may border on belonging in the "Wishes" group, but as the crux is a question, I've placed it here...

BLUF: What's the actual/technical difference between the lists for History and Recent locations?

The "wishes" aspect might be to have some option to not store one or more forms of lists. I find myself having to (wanting to) clean up the lists often, as I continually have orphaned references to old temp/working files/folders which no longer exist.
Maybe the option might be a checkbox to remove from list entries those items with the question mark, no longer present in the file system?

I recognize the utility of History serving to facilitate traversing backwards and forwards through a browse sequence, of course this is very useful. But, a list of potentially hundreds of entries for folders that don't exist any longer seems a bit inefficient. Thoughts/comments?

Thanks

Jerry

Re: History vs. Recent Locations

Post by Jerry »

As I understand it, History has other options that let you keep a separate history for each tab, remember selections and sort order, omit duplicates, in addition to the back/forward traversal. Whereas, Recent Locations is a just global tracking of every location you visit, across all tabs, and doesn't have those other options, although any folder view enabled for a particular recent location will still be applied and that can include sort order and much more.

Personally, I rarely use the History function, just the Recent Locations.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Thanks Jerry. Hoping my idea about an option to filter/limit/suppress some of these lists gets traction.

Seeing your sig, thought you might enjoy this dashboard screenshot:
Attachments
drobos.png
drobos.png (72.2 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

the Eagle-eyed amongst us might notice 10.67 TB used is rather a coincidental number considering the capacity... nope.. it's from the Department of Redundancy Department. I have RAID systems mirroring to other RAID systems because, yes, I'm that paranoid.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

JLoftus wrote:Hoping my idea about an option to filter/limit/suppress some of these lists gets traction.
You can suppress the History somewhat if you configure it per tab. I just realized that you may have been referring to the History... popup window (not the Back/Forward history toolbar button menus). That's accessible when right-clicking on the Recent Locations button. That will give you a longer history than what the menu provides, but more importantly has a live filter box to filter what you see. And it's a separate history for each of the 2 panes.
JLoftus wrote:the Eagle-eyed amongst us might notice 10.67 TB used is rather a coincidental number considering the capacity... nope.. it's from the Department of Redundancy Department. I have RAID systems mirroring to other RAID systems because, yes, I'm that paranoid.
All my storage is mirrored also, but I deliberately don't use RAID at all, actually. I prefer completely independent external drive units which I keep in sync with AJCSync that I run manually. I've had drives fail on me, several times now, which is a big deal when you have 4, 5, 8 TBs per drive - a lot to lose if you don't work in pairs, one way or another.

I've found that doing the sync manually with inspection uncovers a lot of mistakes - folders and files that I accidentally deleted or moved. A RAID system would just mirror the error right away.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Jerry wrote:... A RAID system would just mirror the error right away.
Indeed... which is why I have three RAID systems in this particular scheme... expensive, yes... but with an alternating sync process, one daily and one weekly, I've fault tolerance within the RAID systems then secondary "error" tolerance built-in by way of staggered mirroring. In this way it's completely hands-off, and Drobo emails me on any disk errors, etc.

Shortly after marriage, and numerous disk failures resulting in "only" lost music, Wifey keenly asserted "lose our wedding pics" and it's the couch you'll be intimate with... so I've learnt disk-wise, nookie-foolish.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

You might possibly have overcompensated just a bit! ;-) BTW, How does your RAID system handle renames of folders? So, suppose you do a simple rename of a folder containing many gigabytes of stuff. Will the sync to the other drives replicate the change as a simple rename, or will it go about making a wholesale delete of the old folder and fresh copy of the one with the new name, when nothing else underneath has changed? I suppose coupled RAID drives in a single box would be smart about that, but what about the daily, and weekly sync? I ask because, when I use AJCSync, I take care to inspect the synchronization plan first and do renames like this manually to avoid excessive fragmentation.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

a simple answer.... Syncovery! Excellent software solution which thinks of every possible conflict issue
Shameless plug warning! https://www.syncovery.com/