How to persist visual filter BUT only for a particular TAB?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Jerry

How to persist visual filter BUT only for a particular TAB?

Post by Jerry »

I often want the visual filter to remain in effect for just a particular tab. So I select Persist Visual Filters Across Folders and that works initially, but I then find the same filter later applied to other opened tabs, which I don't want. How can the filter be restricted to just a particular tab?
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Re: How to persist visual filter BUT only for a particular TAB?

Post by admin »

Hmm, cannot confirm. :? Filter stays in the tab.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I'll try to come up with a reproducible protocol using /fresh. So there should be no feature that produces this effect, apart from doing New Tab on an existing tab with persisted visual filter?
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Here's a protocol with /fresh that reproduces the problem. It looks like this may be a feature (or bug) for newly created tabs and the default tab, when also using locked home tabs. But it's not a feature that I want at all. Seems to me there should be a separate setting that restricts the filter to just a particular tab and does not propagate it to new tabs or the default tab. I use the default tab to receive any location from across my many drives, whether I navigate from within XYplorer or from without (via Search Everything). I almost never want to see a filter re-applied in those situations.

1. Run XYplorer /fresh
2. Navigate to some directory.
3. Right-click on the tab for that directory, and choose Set Home, then right-click again and choose Lock Home Zone.
4. Turn on a visual filter in the tab.
5. Right-click on a Visual Filter toolbar button and choose Persist Visual Filters Across Folders
6. Now, navigate to some other folder that is not under the home zone location of that first tab (using the tree or address bar).
7. A new tab appears with the second location, with the visual filter from the first tab also set in the new tab.

But then, even existing unfiltered default tabs pick up the filter as well:

8. Turn off the visual filter in the second just created tab, and then right-click on the tab and choose Default Tab
9. Go back to the first filtered tab.
10. Now navigate again to some other folder not under the first tab's home zone.
11. The folder appears in the existing unfiltered Default tab, but the first tab's filter is applied once more.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree. Both cases will be adjusted in the next version.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Using v17.50.0208 with the fix: not sure if this is an intended feature or not but when you are in tab with a persisted visual filter, and click a second time on the current folder node in the breadcrumb bar, the filter is turned off.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, intended. Has been like this before the recent change.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Another observation, which may or may not be a feature:

I do a search. Then I select a particular file in the results and Go to Focused Item which takes me into a corresponding locked home zone tab that has a persistent filter in effect. The filter is automatically turned off in that situation. I can see why that makes sense because if the focused item you are going to doesn't match the filter, then nothing will appear in the target tab, which can be a bit confusing at first. So, this is just an observation.