Paper Folders - Refresh

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
VeeGee

Paper Folders - Refresh

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
Using the latest, non-beta version and on a lifetime license. I am currently running dual panes with a Paper Folder for ACCDBs in the top/left window. In the bottom panes, I have several folders that contain ACCDBs that I modify. After modifying them, they turn green in their own window (using Color filters); however, if I click back into the Paper Folder it doesn't update until I press F5.

Am I missing a Refresh option somewhere ? I have all the options that I can find enabled in Configuration (Refresh, Icons, History --> Auto-Refresh --> All checked). I was looking for a sort of "refresh on focus" sort of feature.

Thanks.

highend

Re: Paper Folders - Refresh

Post by highend »

Welcome to the forum

Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | [x] Refresh during file operations

This would do what's requested...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you for the quick reply. I do have that option enabled. Under Auto-Refresh, all 4 options are checked. I can try and make a new Paper Folder w/another file type and see if I get the same results.

UPDATE
I made a new Paper Folder and added some XLSMs to it. If I edit the file in the bottom pane, it turns green on save (like expected). When I click into the Paper Folder, it doesn't refresh. If I click off the Paper Folder and back, it refreshes - just not on the initial "click in/focus".

UPDATE
My icon overlays also don't update when you initially click inside the Paper Folder, e.g. TortoiseSVN. They update in other windows, the navigation tree, etc., just not the Paper Folder unless I 1) press F5 and/or 2) click the Back button in the Paper Folder and then Forward to go back to it.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
I had added a few updates to the original post, but it didn't seem to move it back up. Adding this reply to do so.

I have tried all the variations of the Refresh settings and still am unable to get any Paper Folder to automatically refresh the Color Filter upon clicking back into the pane. Pressing F5 will do the trick.

I setup another Paper Folder with some XLSX files in it. Paper Folder is in the top pane, actual folder location is in the bottom pane. From the bottom pane, I double-click the XLSX to open it, modify it, save it and close. If I click back into the Paper Folder pane at the top, the Color Filter doesn't update (until F5). The Color Filter (set to Green for today) in the bottom pane that I was working in updates immediately.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirmed, Paper Folders don't auto-refresh. They are not "watched" like normal folders since they can contain anything from all kind of locations.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon Don,
I am starting to use Paper Folders more and more now and am finding the non-refreshing to be a bit troublesome. Since these are not "watched" folders like you stated, is it at least possible to add an option (so when checked) that will auto-refresh the Paper Folder contents/listing if/when it gets focus ? The F5 is a little slow to refresh and an extra keystroke. I was thinking that you may have a faster, better refresher for just that specific type of tab that could get triggered when it is active.

Today I added the Everything in XY script and modified it to better fit my setup. I have a pinned, locked Paper Folder showing the results from the Everything search. I have this on my dual pane in a specific location that both looks nice and fits my layout. After a search, the TXT file is updated; however, I am back to having to press F5 to get the new results. 9 times out of 10 I am clicking that tab and working w/the results and that is where my idea of refreshing when "got focus" came to be.

Thank you for your consideration.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VeeGee wrote:... that will auto-refresh the Paper Folder contents/listing if/when it gets focus ?
What do you mean by that? When the inactive pane becomes the active pane?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

admin wrote:What do you mean by that? When the inactive pane becomes the active pane?
Yes. Since the Paper Folder doesn't update in the background, I was wondering if it could refresh when it becomes the active tab.
Right now I have the Everything Paper Folder pinned. I use the CTB to do Everything searches in the top and bottom panes on a variety of my tabs. The problem is, the new search results are not displayed when I clicked the Everything Paper Folder until I press F5. The original Everything script opened up a new tab with the results (which worked great); however, I removed that since I prefer the pinned location.

If I use my Everything CTB on any of these tabs :
2018-02-28_7-59-39.png
2018-02-28_7-59-39.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
When I click the pinned Everything Paper Folder, the previous search results are still displayed. Since I clicked it and made it active, the Paper Folder should refresh and the new results would be displayed (w/o the need to press F5) :
2018-02-28_7-51-38.png
2018-02-28_7-51-38.png (5.61 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
I thought if there was a setting specific for Paper Folders that would refresh when active, that would work for all situations, e.g. this original post and this new part.

Paper Folders are really great. I have never seen that feature in anything before. I have quite a bit of them now for all types of situations (only 3 are listed above). Having them refresh when made active would make it feature complete (for now :wink: )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm, this might have to do with this specific Everything script (which I don't know). Generally Paper Folders are just a list of filenames, and everything you see (data columns, color filters, etc) is refreshed when the Paper Folder tab is activated.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Now that I test a few things a little, you are correct, it does refresh when it is not already the active tab. If I have the Paper Folder active in the top pane and do anything in the bottom pane, e.g. color filter for modified today, Everything script results, etc., it doesn't refresh when I click back into the pane on the top. I have to either press F5 or click to another tab and then back to it and it refreshes.

If I have any other tab selected in the top pane (not the Paper Folder) and then do something in the bottom pane, when I click the Paper Folder in the top pane (remember, it wasn't active), the data is refreshed.

So it would appear that if the Paper Folder is already active in another pane, no auto-refresh occurs when the pane regains focus.
I hope this is making sense.

Thank you for taking time to look at it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
VeeGee wrote:... that will auto-refresh the Paper Folder contents/listing if/when it gets focus ?
What do you mean by that? When the inactive pane becomes the active pane?
That's why I asked that in a previous thread. :)

But refresh on activate pane is weird. I will see if I can refresh already when it's in the back pane...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, but it's not possible. Paper Folders just are not like that. To force this onto them would mean hundreds of little extra lines, and a can of worms.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, looks like I saw a way... check out next beta... :cup:

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you for working on this. I was having mixed results with the Everything script (which I know is use at your own risk, not your issue, etc.) so I focused on just XY by itself.

Here is my setup and results :
Pinned Paper Folder in the top pane. Normal file listing in the bottom pane that has a file listed that is part of the Paper Folder.

If I open the file from the bottom pane, save it and close it, the Paper Folder above immediately updates the "modified today" color filter. It did not do that before, this is good.

Next, I applied a new Tag in the bottom pane and clicked inside the "white area" of the Paper Folder, no update. In the top pane where the Paper Folder is, I click to another tab and then back, it's updated.

Next I applied a Label in the bottom pane and this time, I clicked the Paper Folder name (in red) when going back to the top pane, everything updated/refreshed.

It would appear that I have to click the name in the breadcrumb bar to refresh vs. just clicking inside the tab/pane. Tabbing back up to the top doesn't refresh either. Maybe tags, labels and comments are updated differently. I can live w/clicking the name when re-entering the pane/tab.
2018-02-28_13-46-58.png
2018-02-28_13-46-58.png (6.76 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
Just reporting here, no expected reply or update since it is limited to a script vs. normal XY behavior.
My pinned Everything Paper Folder just doesn't work, so I have removed that. It seems if I modify the TXT via the script (essentially outside of XY), this is what I notice is happening. Paper Folder is active, Everything script runs. Contents of the TXT are replaced w/the search results (I verify this by looking at it outside of XY); however, the Paper Folder isn't updated. If I click off the tab and back to it, the contents of the TXT file is replaced by whatever XY had originally "read" from the file, essentially replacing the new results w/the previous ones.

For this, I have given up on having a pinned Paper Folder for Everything results and will just use the results in the new tab that the script provides. You'll notice the Everything pinned tab removed from the above screenshot.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VeeGee wrote:Maybe tags, labels and comments are updated differently.
Yes. It will work in the next version.

Conc. your script: So the source file of the paper folder itself (the "paper") is updated via script. I'll see what I can do...

UPDATE: This has to be done by the script. I'm not a scripter :ninja: , but I think there is no command to refresh front or back pane? highend?