sync setting across machines

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
pjc42

sync setting across machines

Post by pjc42 »

I would like to use XYplorer on both my workstation and desktop and keep the settings, shortcuts, scripts, etc. in sync across the two installations.

What is the recommended or best practice way to do that?

Currently I have installed XYplorer as a portable app in a single dir with /Data directory for the settings as suggested in docs for portable installation. I have set up a git repo for this /Data directory and sync the settings via the remote git origin repo. This works well enough but it picks up a lot of miscellaneous settings, (e.g. open tabs and history) that I don't really need or want to sync between machines.

I had a crack trying to find this in docs but couldn't see it; apologies in advance if it is in the sync settings section...

highend

Re: sync setting across machines

Post by highend »

For things that reside in the XYplorer.ini file? I'd say you'd need to get creative on this point... A sync of the complete file will ofc transfer such items as well.
Maybe an additional autohotkey tool that monitors if an XY instance is running and when it is closed it writes out local settings to a different ini file and when it detects
a newer file date (after a git sync) it replaces those parts in the new XYplorer.ini file? Just a thought...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

pjc42

Post by pjc42 »

@highend, thank you.

I had hoped this might be a fairly common use case and therefore supported a little more simply.

Do you know what most users do now to sync settings across installations?

highend

Post by highend »

No clue. For me it was always easy. Same environment on all systems... And I do a lot with custom scripts that replace some inbuild functionalites (like favorites, etc.)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

iryx

Post by iryx »

Not exactly what you are asking but this could give you some ideas.

I solved syncing by using Dropbox to do the syncing, that way it's automatic instead of pushing to Git. You can use any of the other online services for this, not just Dropbox.

Unlike you, I don't try to have the exact same settings for each PC. I started with some basic settings, then copied the whole directory and named it XYPlorer.PCName. Then on each PC I have, I use the version that's in the XYPlorer.PCName directory. Settings stay in sync for each machine.

If you want to keep settings per machine, but use the same copy of XYPlorer on all machines, you can create different a configuration files for each machine, then setup XY to start with that file on each machine through a shortcut specific to that machine.