Easier way to add Favorite folder with Caption?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
steven.xufan

Easier way to add Favorite folder with Caption?

Post by steven.xufan »

Hi, I just bought XYplorer and I'm very impressed, especially so with the thriving community here.

After searching on the forum/google, I found that I can add a favorite folder by doing Favorites -> Toggle Favorite Folder (or Ctrl + B) and then I can add a caption like so: "Caption" c:\path

So to add a new favorite folder with caption, I'd need to:
1. Ctrl + B
2. Favorites -> Manage Favorite Folders...
3. Look for the item I just added, and then Edit(or F2)
4. Add a caption

Is there an easier/shorter way to do this? (I could not find it on Forum/Google)
Thanks in advance.

highend

Re: Easier way to add Favorite folder with Caption?

Post by highend »

Welcome to the forum

You could use a script that asks for the caption (autofilled with the last part of the current path in the tree) which then stores the favorite in the XYplorer.ini file
But while this automates the whole task it comes at a cost: You would need to restart XY afterwards because this .ini change is only read on startup, not while XY is running. Apart from that: External automation (e.g. through AutoHotkey / AutoIt) but that's probably a bit too much for this kind of thing (and it requires some effort as well).
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

steven.xufan

Post by steven.xufan »

Thanks for the reply. I can do a small script to add it to the file, but a restart will be really inconvenient.
I thought that this would have been one of the most used feature by general users? (From what I have seen, most people if not all, who use a third party file manager, use this feature)

Since this is still not implemented yet, I'd assume that there must be a better way to achieve the similar result (remembering different paths, and easily recalling them)?
Could you shed some light on how you are dealing with this?

highend

Post by highend »

I for myself use my own script (which, in a larger context automates a lot of things that the GUI of XY can't provide on it's own).
But my list of favorite folders is mostly static!

SammaySarkar seems to have written an autohotkey tool that maybe helps in your case (but I never tried it out):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13593&p=120127

steven.xufan

Post by steven.xufan »

Thanks for pointing me to the thread. That was a good read!
I have been using AutoHotKey for some time before I knew about XYplorer.
highend wrote:But my list of favorite folders is mostly static!
As you had pointed out, mine does not change so frequently either. Since I'm migrating from Total Commander now, I will just add them manually inside the ini file.

Thank you again for your help.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

...I will just add them manually inside the ini file.
Just make sure that XY isn't running while you make changes to the ini file, because the changes might not be kept otherwise.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

steven.xufan

Post by steven.xufan »

Thanks for the reminder!
I just learned it the hard way :biggrin:

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I realize it's not something you need to do everyday or even every week, and I'm not sure why you want to edit the Favorites via XYplorer.ini, but entering the following code in the address bar or assign it as a User Defined Command or Customized Toolbar Button CTB.

Code: Select all

sendkeys '{F6}'; #574;
It will get you directly to Manage Favorites in the edit mode.

So to expand on the toolbar use, instead of using the normal XY Favorite Folders toolbar button you could set up a Customized Toolbar Button (CTB) where the left button assignment would be:

#550;
providing you the Favorites Folders menu, and the right button assignment would be:

sendkeys '{F6}';  #574;
So instead of getting the normal XY right click menu for Favorite Folders you would immediately get the manage Favorites Folders menu in edit mode...maybe overkill unless you frequently modify you favorites.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

steven.xufan

Post by steven.xufan »

Hi @klownboy, using the #574 to access it is really cool. Thanks.
Where can I find the mapping of all the number to their description?

Just out of curiosity, in one code snippet you included sendkeys '{F6}', but not in the other one.
I tried using the #574 in the CTB, and it worked.

highend

Post by highend »

Where can I find the mapping of all the number to their description?
Menu - Help - List All Commands...
in one code snippet you included sendkeys '{F6}', but not in the other one
It pops up a menu, which key do you expect to be send additionally?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

As highend was saying, the sendkeys was used along with Command ID #574 to send the keystroke "F6" so that we would enter the "edit mode" when managing Favorite Folders.

You can use accelerator keys in your Favorites also by placing a "&" before the letter. So for example, if you had a Favorite that read...

"&Pictures|D:\Graphics\Icons\wallpaper_08.ico" H:\Pictures\
...you could hit the "P" on the keyboard when the Favorite menu displays to view that picture folder. So then if you wanted to have a command that took you directly to that Favorite Folder you could do the following (which uses sendkey along with CID #550).

sendkeys '{P}';  #550;
Of course that's a round about way to get to the folder, but it's just an example to explain the accelerator. in XY you could do the same thing a number of ways. :)

steven.xufan

Post by steven.xufan »

Sorry, I was not aware that there is an "edit mode". That's why I did not notice the differences between this two initially:
  • sendkeys '{F6}'; #574;
  • #574;
Then the semicolon after F6 threw me off even further. I understood them as two sequential commands. sendkeys '{F6}' emulates keyboard press of F6, which shifts the focus to the address bar. Then #574 was entered into the address bar, which opens the manage favorite folders.
Turns out that my understanding was totally wrong.. :shock:
Thanks guys!

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

The sending of "F6" is a bit confusing. If you send it alone or after #574, yes, it will take you to the Address Bar. If you send it immediately prior to the #574 command, it will send the keystroke when it executes the Manage Favorite Folders command (#574) to get you into the Edit mode.