How can I use different tag lists (tag clouds)?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kodyman

How can I use different tag lists (tag clouds)?

Post by kodyman »

I would like to be able to use a different set of tags, tag list, (tag cloud) depending on the type of files I am tagging.
For instance I have a set of folders that are work related that would be pertinent to a certain type or set of tag names. The same thing for other folders such as personal files, books, hobbies or whatever.

From the XY Help File and also in the pdf help:
"You can also manually manage the Tag List in List Management. This way you can easily load a new cloud to have a different set of tags ready for selection."

Under Menu|Tools|List Management I have Tag List... and Tagged Items...
Neither of these has an option for loading a different set of tags.
Also looked through Configuration|Tags and didn't see anything to reference using different lists or clouds.
Can this be done and what am I missing?

Also looked through the forum searching different phrase combinations using tag and didn't come across anything that seemed related.

Thanks

highend

Re: How can I use different tag lists (tag clouds)?

Post by highend »

taglist()
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

Thanks highend.
In the help file under remarks for taglist again I read
"· You can also manually manage the Tag List in List Management. This way you can easily load a new cloud to have a different set of tags ready for selection. I added the underline.

I read that as the ability of opening or loading a new tag file maybe even creating a new tag file after clicking on a selection button. Please correct me but taglist() is a scripting command? I'm not a scripter.

highend

Post by highend »

That's a question of perspective I think.

When you click on the pencil button in the tag list management gui you could add a new tag list by just pasting some comma separated tags into it. You could call that "load" if you like xD

But there are no buttons to load a file from where the tags are read. That's where the script command taglist() could come into play. With a little bit of scripting you could have a popup menu with a view captions that describe a tag cloud in a few words and then load the assigned .txt file and set a new tag cloud from it...

A minimal example...

Code: Select all

$folder = "R:\taglists";
    $list = <<<>>>
    Tag cloud: hobby;hobby
    Tag cloud: company 1;company1
>>>;
    $selection = popupmenu(regexreplace($list, "^[ ]*"), , , , , , <crlf>, ";");
    if ($selection) { taglist(readfile($folder . "\" . $selection . ".txt")); }
1. You change the $folder to where you want to put your .txt files that contain comma separated tag entries
2. You change the $list variable entries. The part before the ";" appears as menu entries (these are your captions)
The part after the ";" is the base name of the file that contains the tags
3. Put the script on a hotkey and you can easily change tag clouds from a popup menu...

or:

Code: Select all

$folder = "R:\taglists";

$list = "";
    foreach($file, listfolder($folder, "*.txt", 1)) { $list = $list . gpc($file, "base") . "|"; }
    $selection = popupmenu($list);
    if ($selection) { taglist(readfile($folder . "\" . $selection . ".txt")); }
You'd only need to change the path and the base file name would be the description for each menu entry...

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

Thanks highend for the time you took to explain and provide script examples. I'll find some time to work with it and see what I can do.

You are correct it is a matter of perspective on how the tag cloud is changed from one set to another. Whether it is by an already included set of commands (script?) inside the program with load or open buttons or it has to be scripted. From my perspective as a user with, and I guess it could be said very, limited scripting knowledge I was looking for the buttons to allow me to create (maybe a Save As...) and Load or Open different tag clouds (db's). Possibly the words "via scripting" should be added to the relative sentences in the help files I mentioned earlier. If it had been worded as such, chances are I wouldn't have started this thread and instead asked for a script as you have generously provided.

You mentioned that a toolbar button could be set up for changing to a different set of tags. That's a good idea I'll try. In place of setting a button, would it be possible to do this in the Catalog? I like and have been using the Click and Tag feature of the Catalog. IMO it would be nice to be able to set up and have individual category groups of tags to select from. Maybe this should be added as a wish??

Thanks again for your help and clarification.

highend

Post by highend »

Catalog items can execute scripts as well so ofc you can have entries that load a specific tag cloud