xyplorer hangs opening folder with lots of files

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
ckp

Re: xyplorer hangs opening folder with lots of files

Post by ckp »

not even windows defender. i disabled it. win 10 x64 pro.
i extracted it to a data drive, e:\temp\xyplorer to test the "clean" scenario.
guessing this has to do with so many files that are images.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

So, can you run Xyplorer.exe /fresh and still see the problem? If you need to switch to a later version for that command-line switch, you should do that. Take the latest non-beta release.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

highend

Post by highend »

Show a screenshot of the General - Refresh, Icons, History screen from the Configuration...

What happens when you check these two items?
Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Use generic icons for super-fast browsing
Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Apply to all controls

Even if I test it with 70.000 12kb large .jpg files I have no slowdowns...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

ckp

Post by ckp »

ok i am not by this computer. but i can test and try this stuff by tomorrow and post back. thank you

ckp

Post by ckp »

ok, i decided to try this real quick with remote access:
What happens when you check these two items?
Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Use generic icons for super-fast browsing
Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Apply to all controls

Made no difference.
So when I enter that folder which has 42k items, it takes over a minute as you see the lower window pane number of Items growing toward the 42. During this time, I cannot get out of that folder. I am stuck there until it reaches the 42k items. I also cannot open any of those files while it is counting the items.
If I use windows explorer, it also counts up to the 42k items, but I am not locked in as I can freely go back up a folder level and get out of there.

ckp

Post by ckp »

I just downloaded the latest trial version and it has the very same issue.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

ckp wrote:I just downloaded the latest trial version and it has the very same issue.
And when you run XYplorer.exe /fresh with no other settings changed, same result? Even if the View mode is set to basic List (no details, no thumbnails, etc.) ?
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

ckp

Post by ckp »

just tried /fresh. same exact issue.
it should be pretty easy to reproduce. just put a lot of files in there and while it's counting them, try to go up a level or open a file in there. it counts the items for well over a minute, essentially forcing you to wait. until it's done, you can do anything. you can't even close the application while its counting items.

ckp

Post by ckp »

soi also have a folder with about 33k zip files. i have zero problem going into that folder. the items count is instant. so, i'm really starting to suspect having image files is part of this problem. it's not just the number of files, maybe it seems like the type of file.
these files are fairly small, ranging from 1KB to 200KB each.
here is an example of how the file names are:
.Backgrounds-02fda6b5-2cdb-47f0-9f41-54864c113271-285-380

and here is the "type" that xyplorer shows for this particular file but in all caps:
Backgrounds-02fda6b5-2cdb-47f0-9f41-54864c113271-285-380 File

highend

Post by highend »

XY doesn't know about what these files are (they do not belong to a known file type) -> It has nothing to do with them being images.

I just renamed all 70k files in the ram disk from ".jpg" to ".Backgrounds-02fda6b5-2cdb-47f0-9f41-54864c113271-285-380".
Started a fresh; instance. Went into this folder. It takes less than 2 seconds to load the full list.

How long (in seconds) does the File Explorer (since 8 or 8.1 it isn't called Windows Explorer anymore) need to load the content of that folder?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

ckp wrote:just tried /fresh. same exact issue.
it should be pretty easy to reproduce. just put a lot of files in there and while it's counting them, try to go up a level or open a file in there. it counts the items for well over a minute, essentially forcing you to wait. until it's done, you can do anything. you can't even close the application while its counting items.
Well, First, I cleared my Windows system memory cache (using Sysinternal RAMMap) because I have 64gb memory with alot allocated to the system I/O cache. Then I went to my largest folder with about 10,500 items, turned off autosizing, sorting, and disabled folder views, and then went into branch view. It proceeded to do the counting of items (283,598). But I was able to hit backspace or ESC and that stopped the process at any time and gave me back control. Then I went away and back to the folder and repeated the branch view, which was faster now with the system cache, but I was still able to backspace or ESC and get control. The files were mostly not image files, however. And branch view isn't the same as having all those files directly in the top level folder, I know.
and here is the "type" that xyplorer shows for this particular file but in all caps:
Backgrounds-02fda6b5-2cdb-47f0-9f41-54864c113271-285-380 File

I can't help wondering if this file type is part of the issue, especially if there are many of these file types, perhaps a different one for each file. If you have the space elsewhere, try making a copy of the folder and change all the different extensions to jpg. (Rename Special > Set Extension ...) And see if that makes a difference.
Last edited by Jerry on 02 Feb 2017 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

ckp

Post by ckp »

highend wrote:XY doesn't know about what these files are (they do not belong to a known file type) -> It has nothing to do with them being images.

I just renamed all 70k files in the ram disk from ".jpg" to ".Backgrounds-02fda6b5-2cdb-47f0-9f41-54864c113271-285-380".
Started a fresh; instance. Went into this folder. It takes less than 2 seconds to load the full list.

How long (in seconds) does the File Explorer (since 8 or 8.1 it isn't called Windows Explorer anymore) need to load the content of that folder?
>>>>>
so, in win 10 file explorer the first time i just went into that folder it took about 9 seconds to count up all the items. but using file explorer, anytime i close and reopen and go back to the same folder it's instant now.

for xyplorer, it always take about 58 seconds (i used a stopwatch just now) to count up those items every time i go in there, even if i wait til its done, go up a level and go right back in.

my win 10 x64 system has 8GB ram, i5 2500k cpu. the files are on a mechanical 5400rpm internal drive.

ckp

Post by ckp »

i can also zip this folder and make it available if you want

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Do all the files have that very same extension? ".Backgrounds-02fda6b5-2cdb-47f0-9f41-54864c113271-285-380"
Or are there many different extensions of that kind?

ckp

Post by ckp »

tey are all named exactly like this but unique