Latest versions painfully slow

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
ro2124

Latest versions painfully slow

Post by ro2124 »

Always considered XY the best Explorer there is, but sadly seems its going to the dogs.As I often find with software, newer is not necessarily better!
Problem started with last two versions (1680 and previous version)
Problem is with video thumbnails, other files seem better. I have lot of video files and use 192x192 thumbs, but since last 2 version XY has become so slow its virtually unusable!
Thumbs either do not appear at all or takes ages for thumbs to show. Worst is switching between tabs! XY just freezes for 10-20 seconds So bad now have to resort to crappy standard Win explorer, but at least that works.

Tried various Thumb settings, cache thumbnails (on and off), etc but no dice...and ironically the High speed option is actually even slower than Fast option.
Wish now I stuck with older version XY, worked much better!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Latest versions painfully slow

Post by admin »

Hm, I do not see this here. And there weren't any changes to the thumbnails code for a long time. :?

ro2124

Post by ro2124 »

Yeah does seem strange but tried couple of other file managers Cubic, Freecommander, they all function fine with thumbs ...on;y
XY has the prob. So sadly may have to stop using XY, my fave file prog ..aint life a bitch....

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

That's odd... Have you tried going back to the older version that worked and tried it again? You can access all previous versions through either Marco's archive or the freezer http://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

ro2124

Post by ro2124 »

Yes very odd!
But nothing surprises me any more as far as Windows and it doing weird things is concerned ...been there, done it, got the T shirt.

did in fact consider installing old version, but could not find any on Net search, but as you usefully provided link thought - Lets do it :-)

Installed old version 15.00 and yeah now problem gone thumbs load no prob at all.
All very peculiar as admin said previously "And there weren't any changes to the thumbnails code for a long time"...baffled...but at least have a working version of XY again.

ro2124

Post by ro2124 »

Oh dear, looks like my celebration was a bit premature. used older version for a bit and problem is happening again ....Damn and f***!!
same crap thumbnails loading very slow or not all and tabs freezing for 10-20 seconds.
I give up... looks like Cubic Explorer then, which works OK

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let's use some logic: Once the thumbnails are cached it is totally irrevelant whether they are from video files or any other types. Cached thumbs are always super fast and do not care about the file type at all. So, when you are experiencing slowness only with video thumbs then those thumbs are not cached, or the cache is somehow defect. Solution: Refresh the thumbnails via View | Caches | Refresh Thumbnails.

ro2124

Post by ro2124 »

Well tried that too but still problems unfortunately

However have narrowed it down a quite bit now, noticed the problem occurs in 2 particular locations- one is content (Video Files) on a Memory card, the other one is a particular Folder on external HDD also Video files.
If I dont use those 2 locations XY works fine on all other content, internal drive and external HDD.
Just to make sure then tried another memory card and XY worked fine on that, but the problem folder on ext HDD was still a problem

So pretty sure now its those particular item causing it!
As some of the video files on that problem memory card are copies from the problem folder on Ext HDD, thinking it may be a corrupt file causing this- is that possible?

Still strange though that other Explorers work ok, on the problem items

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Yeah it's possible for corrupt files to cause problems.

In those two locations, are there any common files (I assumed yes since you stated as such)? Hopefully it narrows down potential corrupted files. Basically take all the common files between the Memory card and external HDD on the Memory card and put it in a subfolder. Repeat for the files on the external HDD. Make sure Create all thumbnails at once and slowly scroll down the page in that subfolders in both the Memory card and external HDD in thumbnails mode until you notice XYplorer starts to hang. Taking note of where you are, try to single out exactly what file or files is causing XYplorer to hang through process of elimination. Repeat it for the other subfolder (either Memory card of external HDD, whichever you have not done yet). If it hanged from the get go, reverse your sorting and repeat. This is because the corrupt files may be the first files you encountered in the folders.

Another quick test you could do is copy the same files from the external HDD that you had on the Memory card onto that new Memory card and see if you have the same issues. If you do, then it's highly likely a file or files is the cause of XYplorer's slowdown.

The reason Explorer and others work is probably because they both cached it before the files became corrupt? For instance, Explorer caches all thumbnails into the Thumbs.db file. Or they're just better at handling corrupt files than XYplorer (nothing against you Don :twisted:)

ro2124

Post by ro2124 »

Yeah, pretty certain its a file problem now, so looks like XY is not the problem as I first thought, so humble apologies to the creator :-)

>In those two locations, are there any common files (I assumed yes since you stated as such)

Yes thats correct trouble is there are a lot of files,so gonna be a right fiddly crap to pin it down could spend the rest of my bleedin life doing that.

Well already moved some files from problem folder into several other folders and they work fine but prob folder still playing up so somewhere in there is a dodgy file by the look of it.

But then suddenly something occurred to me I remembered there were about a dozen Video files where the thumbs never showed , just the Default video player logo.

So seemed logical to assume they might be the problem, So moved those dozen to another folder on both Memory card and HDD. and Hooray that was it!!
Now everything works just fine :-)
And just to confirm it then tried to access the folder where I put the dozen suspect files-and yeah it froze!!

What a relief! By identifying the suspect files saved me hours of going through tons of files!
Yep logic can be useful watching all them Star Trek episodes with Mr Spock seems to have done some good at least, .....as he would say "Logical Captain" :-)

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Hahaha that's good you figured it out! Yeah sometimes it's the simple stuff that you tend to overlook. Anyway I guess the next step is to figure out what those files became corrupt haha especially if they're important to you.

Good luck!

ro2124

Post by ro2124 »

Well have a good idea why, I edited and re-coded some of them, two of them could not be edited in avidemux which is unusual, but managed to edit them with another prog.
I suspect thats where the prob lies.... sure Mr Spocks logic would agree :-)
anyway cant be arsed to do them again, they play ok, just cause probs with XY, so will just keep them in that separate folder so they wont freeze anything.
so alls well that ends well as they say
Thanks for all the useful advice.

And to the creator... sincere grovelling apology for even considering XY might not work proper- Sacrilege !! :-)