Is there a built-in FTP ?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
JGreg7

Is there a built-in FTP ?

Post by JGreg7 »

I switched to XYPlorer several years ago, and have never looked back. There is however, one feature I have not been able to find yet - a built-in FTP transfer.

In Power Desk (another file program), there used to be a built in FTP so that I could upload files directly to my website. It would simply show up on my directory tree like another network folder.

Is there a way to access my websites FTP server in a similar method through XYPlorer?

highend

Re: Is there a built-in FTP ?

Post by highend »

Simple answer: No, there isn't :)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I played with FTP a little this morning and it looks like I can do it. For now I won't go the full way (make it accessible in the UI like normal folders), but I can add a scripting command that allows you to copy all selected items to a location on your FTP server on a click. Anybody interested?

highend

Post by highend »

SSL/TLS (with certificates) support? I don't think that there are still a lot of people who transfer files (and their username + pw) over insecure connections. At least I hope so.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No way, sorry. That would be a much larger effort.

JGreg7

Post by JGreg7 »

Thank you for the response.
The FTP transfer capability would be a very useful item. I have to update websites regularly, and it would be so convenient to simply do it from XYPlorer.

Perhaps in the future...

highend

Post by highend »

That would be a much larger effort.
Wouldn't it be enough to use the openssl libraries?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No 3rd party stuff in XY.

highend

Post by highend »

Ok, fair point :whistle:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JGreg7 wrote:Thank you for the response.
The FTP transfer capability would be a very useful item. I have to update websites regularly, and it would be so convenient to simply do it from XYPlorer.
Even without SSL/TLS support?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

For me, even without. I reach my media box via ftp.
EDIT: but a simple upload possibility wouldn't be enough.

JGreg7

Post by JGreg7 »

I currently use Power Desk. I am not sure what that uses. I just enter my website info, and password one time, then it automatically connects whenever I need it. The power desk blurb from their website is copied below. They don't offer much more.

"PowerDesk FTP - Connect to your FTP accounts in just one click with PowerDesk FTP. View your FTP Accounts as though they were folders on your desktop with drag-and-drop capabilities. Managing your FTP accounts has never been easier."

XYPlorer is a superior file manager in every way, except I miss the ease of updating my files on the website.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think offering FTP and not FTPS (FTP Secure) would be a bad move. And FTP/FTPS is generally a can of worms.

FYI, I'm personally using FileZilla (free!) and I drag files from and to XYplorer -- it's a snap. I really would not like to manage my websites through XY. It's good (= more efficient) to have this in a separate window/software.

highend

Post by highend »

I really would not like to manage my websites through XY. It's good (= more efficient) to have this in a separate window/software.
I have to agree. I think the best feature ftp-wise would be: folder sync (e.g. to update websites). But there are so many (good) alternatives for this kind of task, I see no real reason to waste a lot of time on this feature. And without SSL/TLS it would only make sense in private networks anyway.

GUIguy

Post by GUIguy »

While the ability to upload and download to/from ftp servers in the cloud would be good, I myself would like to have the ability to connect wirelessly the files on my phone using WiFi. Currently, I have to plug it in. Not a biggie, but just another vote for FTP.
GUIguy
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind

Quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything!