XYPlorer tags aren't being updated after editing tag.dat

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
cadu

XYPlorer tags aren't being updated after editing tag.dat

Post by cadu » 02 May 2016 21:55

Hi,

I changed a folder path from C:\#Dados_Software to C:\_Dados_Software (# was replaced by _).

After that I realized the tags weren't working. I opened in a text editor the XYplorer file tag.dat, which presented the tags' path with a question mark (sample below):
?:\#Dados_Software\ZZ_System Reserved\Portable\System\Drive Letter Changer|0|#model||||||
?:\#Dados_Software\ZZ_System Reserved\Portable\System\FastKeys|0|#reference||||||
?:\#Dados_Software\ZZ_System Reserved\Portable\System\FastKeys\#Portable\FastKeys.chm|0|f_help||||||

I edited the file tag.dat, replacing ?:\#Dados_Software by C:\_Dados_Software

However, when I open XYplorer and search for the tags, the search is empty. Then I open tag.dat and realized that, although the folder name was kept after the editing (_Dados_Software), the question mark has returned automatically:
?:\_Dados_Software\ZZ_System Reserved\Portable\System\Drive Letter Changer|0|#model||||||

I edited several times the tag.dat, but always the question mark is reappearing.

What could be going wrong? What to do to edit tag.dat in order it keeps the changes and I can access my tagged files/folders?

Thanks!
Cadux

highend

Re: XYPlorer tags aren't being updated after editing tag.dat

Post by highend » 02 May 2016 22:06

You have portable tags active, that's why the question mark reappears.

And for the rest: help file^^
In case you edit tag.dat manually...

Sort Order. The tagged item lines must be in binary ascending sort order (A < B ... < a < b ...). If you manually edit tag.dat and are unsure about the correctness of the sort order, you can have the data sorted by using "Options | Database Check..." in Configuration | Tags.

Capitalization matters. You must care for the right capitalization of the file names. Reason: For better performance, the comparisons are done by byte, not by character.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or highend (at) web (dot) de

Enternal

Re: XYPlorer tags aren't being updated after editing tag.dat

Post by Enternal » 03 May 2016 03:40

If you edited the tag.dat file while XYplorer is open, make sure you go to Favorites > Reload Tags Database in the menus. XYplorer does not know you have edited the file and therefore you will need to have XYplorer reload the database.