XYplorer locking files for other users?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Emre

XYplorer locking files for other users?

Post by Emre »

Hello,
I'm using XYplorer (currently just free version) here, and like everyone I normally have vast number of tabs open on panes. These are all on server network drives. Sometimes other users (just using windows explorer) are unable to save file changes on the network, I suspect can XYplorer cause the issue? Like even though I don't have those files open, I have those folders open and it's causing read-only alerts to other users. I quit xyplorer, and sometimes it helps. Maybe it is a coincidence, because it's not making any sense to me.

BTW, this program is very dangerous, once you try it, you can never go back to the old ways. Thanks for the awesome app, planning to buy a lifetime license soon.

bdeshi

Re: XYplorer locking files for other users?

Post by bdeshi »

Hi, welcome to the club! :D

While I can't confirm the exact issue, I know XYplorer locks folders it has opened. (I often try to delete Sandboxed folders, and fail because it's open in XYplorer)
However, I've never seen XYplorer lock files inside a folder it's opened (unless it's open in the preview panes).

Emre wrote:this program is very dangerous
Yes you're absolutely right! Word of advice: avoid the pro edition like a nuclear explosion - it's 100 times more dangerous than the free edition! :twisted:
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Emre

Post by Emre »

SammaySarkar wrote:While I can't confirm the exact issue, I know XYplorer locks folders it has opened.
Hello, and thank you!
Can you confirm it keeps those folders locked even though that folder tab is closed?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Such locking can only come from watching the folder (= Auto-Refresh).

If you use Auto-Refresh then untick this:
Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Include network locations

Emre

Post by Emre »

Yes, auto refresh was ticked on my side. I will see if issues persist, thanks alot!!

Emre

Post by Emre »

Hello again,
Is it possible to make XYplorer not watch (refresh) non-focused tabs (the tabs on the background)? I guess it would help me alot in my situation.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Currently, if Auto-Refresh is on, the selected tab of each pane is watched (even if only one of the panes is visible). The non-selected tabs are never watched.

This cannot be changed at the moment.

It might be an idea to stop watching an invisible pane. But that would mean I would have to rebrowse that pane on showing it which would make switching from single to dual pane a non-smooth experience. That's why I decided to do it as it is now.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

And don't forget: you even can switch panes, if one is hidden.
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes!

BTW, I personally (almost) never use Dual Pane, and I have set the hidden pane to some empty unused folder that I created just for this.