XY VB6

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

XY VB6

Post by admin »

I learned that Vista natively supports VB6, i.e. msvbvm60.dll is part of every Vista distribution (as well as XP, 2K, ME, 98 ).

So I compiled a VB6 version of XY. Hey, it's 150KB smaller. :) And, at first sight, everything else works as expected. Wanna try? Here it is (just the exe contained): http://www.xyplorer.com/download/xyplorer_vb6.zip

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

hmm.. was curious, wanted to try, but I have a "File Not Found" for that URL ? :?

BTW, I thought you'd never do that, because VB5 is faster... what happened? Cause, speed is a great thing, and you can just run UPX on VB5's XYplorer.exe and it'll be even smaller than that ;)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:hmm.. was curious, wanted to try, but I have a "File Not Found" for that URL ? :?

BTW, I thought you'd never do that, because VB5 is faster... what happened? Cause, speed is a great thing, and you can just run UPX on VB5's XYplorer.exe and it'll be even smaller than that ;)
Now it works. I had "XY" instead of "xy" ... unix servers...

The size is not the reason but the compatibility with Vista.
The speed difference concerns only certain types of operations and the differences are only minimal. If you experience a notable slow down anywhere tell me and I measure it. For me also, speed is a great thing!

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:The size is not the reason but the compatibility with Vista.
The speed difference concerns only certain types of operations and the differences are only minimal. If you experience a notable slow down anywhere tell me and I measure it. For me also, speed is a great thing!
Nope I didn't notice any slow down. It's just that I remembered you:
Don wrote:BTW: it's written in divine VB5. VB5 is faster than VB6
So I was surprised to see you finally go there (After all, all it takes for Vista is to download one DLL, no?), that's all ;)

I also tried, just to see, but the About window still shows up on the edge of the main monitor when XY_vb6 is on the second monitor.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:Nope I didn't notice any slow down. It's just that I remembered you:
Don wrote:BTW: it's written in divine VB5. VB5 is faster than VB6
So I was surprised to see you finally go there (After all, all it takes for Vista is to download one DLL, no?), that's all ;)
I've not finally decided but it's very likely that I will go there. 9 years after the release of Visual Basic 6.0 one can give it a chance :wink:
jacky wrote:I also tried, just to see, but the About window still shows up on the edge of the main monitor when XY_vb6 is on the second monitor.
Thanks for looking. This bug seems to be a good tradition :wink:

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

No problems with the VB6 version so far, apart from the aforementioned bout screen ;)
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

zer0

Re: XY VB6

Post by zer0 »

I wanted to scratch the surface of VB6 to see what's underneath.

Wikipedia (let's put scepticism about its accuracy aside for the time being) has a section about VB6's issues:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_bas ... her_issues

I also noted that beyond Windows 7 there will be no VB6 support in Microsoft's operating systems
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

Does that mean that, in a few years' time, XY will have to be either rewritten in another language or rely on software (3rd party?) that provides similar functionality to WOW? If it's the latter then it makes this post questionable:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 242#p34242

Also, it puts in doubt the possibility of XY being a true 64-bit application as per this post:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 136#p32136

I'm still young and I hope to carry on using XYplorer until I reach at least j_c_hallgren's age :P but the sum of the above doesn't inspire a lot of optimism. Or is that just all smoke and no fire? :?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would stay very relaxed about this. "VB6" is just a compiler and a run-time library. My work is source code. If MS really drops VB6 some other company will provide a compiler and runtime for it. The market will manage... :wink:

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:I would stay very relaxed about this. "VB6" is just a compiler and a run-time library. My work is source code. If MS really drops VB6 some other company will provide a compiler and runtime for it. The market will manage... :wink:
Oh I'm not loosing sleep over this issue :) I am a little wary of hoping that another company will come along in 5 years (I'd expect a successor to Win 7 to be out by then) and provide VB compiler and a runtime library for it. Considering that there's no firm that does a 64-bit VB compiler at the moment, then what are the chances of one, in 5 years when 64-bit apps will be de facto, be available? I hope my scepticism is forgiveable. Also, of course, compiling in VB6 doesn't allow creating of cross-platform code, being able to will definitely boost potential audience of XY. Sure, one can run it on a VM inside another OS, but that's not quite the same. Anyway, I'm sure that Don has it under control, but it's useful to know the long-term strategy :wink:
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

ale

Post by ale »

admin wrote:I would stay very relaxed about this. "VB6" is just a compiler and a run-time library. My work is source code. If MS really drops VB6 some other company will provide a compiler and runtime for it. The market will manage... :wink:
There are some BASIC environments out there (about which I know nothing) like REALbasic, PureBasic and others and they'll eventually move to 64 bit. If needed, may one of them be an upgrade path from Visual Basic at some point in future? there must be a viable solution, but what scares me as a non programmer is the amount of code they would require rewriting :(

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ale wrote:
There are some BASIC environments out there (about which I know nothing) like REALbasic, PureBasic and others and they'll eventually move to 64 bit. If needed, may one of them be an upgrade path from Visual Basic at some point in future? there must be a viable solution, but what scares me as a non programmer is the amount of code they would require rewriting :(
XY code is extremely straight. I use almost exclusively Windows API and avoid anything of the fancy VB stuff, and of course I have 0% 3rd party dependencies. Even all the heavy controls you see (tree, list, address bar, tabs etc) are self-written and not taken from VB. IOW, there is very few VB in XY. Migrating the code could be automated to a very high degree I assume.

kiku

Post by kiku »

Didn't work for me. About shows version 6 and XYplorer looks very different and old

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kiku wrote:Didn't work for me. About shows version 6 and XYplorer looks very different and old
What do you mean?

kiku

Post by kiku »

admin wrote:
kiku wrote:Didn't work for me. About shows version 6 and XYplorer looks very different and old
What do you mean?
on WinXP SP2
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (99.02 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 2807 times

zer0

Post by zer0 »

It does not surprise me, because at the time of Don's post this was the latest version available. Here's a link to beta's history: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 952#p12952
Windows 7/10