TeraCopy use? [solved]

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
eil

TeraCopy use? [solved]

Post by eil »

help file says to add line to custom copy handler and i added, checked to use it, but it says "TeraCopy failed."

Code: Select all

TeraCopy|d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe|/close
what i do wrong? lately i quite often need to copy folder excluding some files/folders in subs, and as Xycopy can't do that, i have to make Tera work.
Last edited by eil on 05 Nov 2015 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

serendipity

Re: TeraCopy use?

Post by serendipity »

eil wrote:help file says to add line to custom copy handler and i added, checked to use it, but it says "TeraCopy failed."

TeraCopy|d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe|/close
what i do wrong? lately i quite often need to copy folder excluding some files/folders in subs, and as Xycopy can't do that, i have to make Tera work.
This is my config and it works fine.

TeraCopy|C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe| /RenameAll /Close
Check your path carefully, I got the same message first then realized my path was wrong.

eil

Post by eil »

with all the smartness of XY about cutting spaces etc, never would think the culprit is a space(!) between | and drive-letter :| especially as space after caption(before first |), after path and before switches don't matter.
anyway thanks serendipity.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

eil wrote:with all the smartness of XY about cutting spaces etc, never would think the culprit is a space(!) between | and drive-letter :| especially as space after caption(before first |), after path and before switches don't matter.
in "Programming" there are some rules which have simply have to be followed otherwise the whole thing would become even more unpredictable as it already is.

edit: seems your TeraCopy home isn't a standard Windows program folder anyway
[code]ProgramFiles[/code] is simply an non-existing folder on any default windows installation, especially it is unknown to Windows as a standard home of program files/components.

d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe/close
to which your config is assembled wouldn't simply work because it would be interpreted as, 1) an invalid path (because of the "/"), which is 2) nonetheless non-existing as well.

The Windows shell simply requires to state all parameters seperated by a space.

d:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe /close
It's a rule and nothing to discuss further.

Yes, one could argue that XY could insert a space if there's none before the 1st char of the parameter sequence.

But as every single parameter has be seprated by a space this could introduce new troubles for others. Which looks better, more consistent?

TeraCopy|d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe|/paramA  /paramB

TeraCopy|d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe| /paramA  /paramB
To me it's the latter.

Cheers,
Filehero

PS: NY is back. :)

eil

Post by eil »

Filehero wrote:The Windows shell simply requires to state all parameters seperated by a space.

d:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe /close
It's a rule and nothing to discuss further.

Yes, one could argue that XY could insert a space if there's none before the 1st char of the parameter sequence.
the point was not to argue about XY but to point a trap for those may get in trouble like me. anyone could use whatever names/pathes one prefers especially if no strict "NO" stated.

"_" would be for " ".
TeraCopy_|d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe|/close/renameall
TeraCopy_|d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe_|/close/renameall
TeraCopy_|d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe_|_/close/renameall
TeraCopy_|d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe_|_/close/_renameall
all these works.

TeraCopy|_d:\ProgramFiles\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe|/close/renameall
the only not working variant.