XY sluggish on Win 10

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Stef123

XY sluggish on Win 10

Post by Stef123 »

To be precise, just my custom TB dropdowns including SessionManager suffer from sluggish delays. The browsing itself and everything else is lightning fast.

To be even more precise, my custom TB menus all look this this

Code: Select all

load "CTBs\MyScript_blahblah.xys";
Instead of entering my code into the native XY edit window (fonts too small, no syntax highlighting etc) - I prefer to call up custom xys. This seems to come with severe performance penalties on Win10 - it makes me wait several seconds for every dropdown - no matter if left or right.
Any ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Re: XY sluggish on Win 10

Post by admin »

(Tip: "fonts too small" -> can be customized in Configuration | Fonts | Edit Text.)

AV?

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

admin wrote:(Tip: "fonts too small" -> can be customized in Configuration | Fonts | Edit Text.)
Thanks. Can't believe it never occured to me to try this. :oops: :oops:
Anyway, meanwhile I've come to appreciate the load-xys-approach because of other reasons (instant check-up on the looks in XY upon saving in external editor, syntax-coloring blah blah)

AV - that was the first thing I tried. Didn't make a difference, though. I wonder what's going on because it's only those dropdowns behaving sluggish, actually all scripting stuff. But none of the built-in features.

Could it be some weird Visual Basic setting or module or otherwise script-related driver thingie that's acting up in Win 10? Maybe it lacks an important update, or worse, the other way round, maybe a recent Win 10 update doesn't dovetail nicely anymore with certain script-architectures?

Or could it be the AV that's kicking in on behalf of scripts being called? It does not watch over my XY folder, but maybe it guards whatever under-the-hood mechanics gets triggered by xys-calls?

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

I'm also using Win10 and all my CTB dropdowns are working blazing fast, I have no extra AV software installed, just using the built in Windows Defender.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks sinilill,
are you saying you also load xys-scripts for CTB-dropdowns? Or do you handle it the regular way by means of the right-click EDIT dialog? Because that works fast here as well.

Like I said, no problem with the XY default features. I suspect the scripting engine being the culprit. Only I don't really know how to test that - for me the only visible symptom are my CTB- dropdowns. The xys-scripts they load are quite elaborate and I assume - not sure about It - that unllike "regular" dropdowns these xys-triggered dropdowns are not loaded upon XY-startup but every time you click a CTB-button.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

do the dropdowns load icons from [a lot of] executables?
in that case maybe you could try disvaluing* disabling the AVs temporarily.

* my spell checker doesn't like antivirus software
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

I use script files for CTB's. I have many executables and I always use a seperate icon file!

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

SammaySarkar wrote:do the dropdowns load icons from [a lot of] executables?
Hmm - good question. Checking up on it I realize I have both, seperate icon files like sinilill, but also icons that are part and parcel of exe-files. My dropdowns contain mixtures of the following variants:

1) "Tool" <xypath>\..\tool\tool.exe
2) "Tool|tool.ico" run "<xypath>\..\tool\tool.exe";
3) "Tool|<xypath>\..\tool\tool.exe" run "<xypath>\..\tool\tool.exe";

Whats the recommended way - 1, 2 or 3 - in terms of speed performance?

All my CTBs also have the following line at the very end (for editing the right xys on the fly)
"Edit|:udc" open self(file);

The very same setup, same dropdowns, same everything - does not show any delays on neither Win7, Vista or XP machines. Even with AV-checks fully in place. We're talking dozens of systems. This one Win10 is the first time I 've encountered this sluggishness, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. No other Win10 around to double-check.