How exactly to set custom 'copy to' suffixes

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
CitizenD

How exactly to set custom 'copy to' suffixes

Post by CitizenD »

I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere but I can't find it...is it possible to define a custom 'Copy To' suffix that is either accessible via the right click context menu or a keyboard shortcut?

I often temporarily copy files with a .ORI extension at the end of the current filename (including original extension) and am trying to work this into XYPlorer.

The flip side of this would be a quick shortcut to remove the .ORI from a filename (or simply the last four chars)

Cheers,

D

CitizenD

Post by CitizenD »

Seeing as this is the only thread on this page without one, single reply, I thought I'd add one myself so it didn't feel so alone.

Seriously - did I ask a stupid question? Any help here?

Cheers,

D

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Hey,

I'm new here, but I'll try to help. Don't know why none of the the active posters of the board didn't reply, shame on them! :P ;)

Anyways, I don't think what you want to do is doable, even though - not really what you asked but - having shortcuts for special rename jobs could be pretty cool (I have no idea whether or not it would be doable with the CKS, though)

Back on topic, only shortcuts available are for using Date/Number Suffix (Config/Report) on Copy operation, eg. Ctrl+D (think Duplicate) will create a copy using your Number suffix template, so "file.ext" could become "file - 01.ext" for example.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

jacky wrote:I'm new here, but I'll try to help. Don't know why none of the the active posters of the board didn't reply, shame on them! :P ;
jacky new here? :roll: He's older than me on this forum! But I personally didn't reply because I didn't have a good answer...
However, I'd suspect one could use a regex to trim the .ORI value, but I'm not sure how to code it.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Re: How exactly to set custom 'copy to' suffixes

Post by admin »

CitizenD wrote:I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere but I can't find it...is it possible to define a custom 'Copy To' suffix that is either accessible via the right click context menu or a keyboard shortcut?

I often temporarily copy files with a .ORI extension at the end of the current filename (including original extension) and am trying to work this into XYPlorer.

The flip side of this would be a quick shortcut to remove the .ORI from a filename (or simply the last four chars)
I would have answered if I'd immediately understood what you are trying to do. But I did not have the time to ask because I'm on CKS (hey, what a great excuse CKS is... :wink: ).

If I work on a growing project, I do regular backups of the files I'm working on using Ctrl+D (numbered copy) or Ctrl+Shift+D (dated copy). This system works great for me since years. No need for *.ori.

But maybe you are after something else...

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:However, I'd suspect one could use a regex to trim the .ORI value, but I'm not sure how to code it.
Pretty sure this would do it (remove the ending .ori if present):

Code: Select all

(.+)\.ori$>$1
But what he was really after, I think, as a way to assign a shortcut to this operation (well, he was after a copy not a rename but...) which can't be done
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:But what he was really after, I think, as a way to assign a shortcut to this operation (well, he was after a copy not a rename but...) which can't be done
Not yet but soon... the concept is already clear in my head, I'm still working on the label... could be something like "User Defined Commands" or "Programmable/Scriptable HotKeys"... hehe

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Not yet but soon... the concept is already clear in my head, I'm still working on the label... could be something like "User Defined Commands" or "Programmable/Scriptable HotKeys"... hehe
Scriptable HotKeys you say!! :excited: :D
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

jacky wrote:
admin wrote:Not yet but soon... the concept is already clear in my head, I'm still working on the label... could be something like "User Defined Commands" or "Programmable/Scriptable HotKeys"... hehe
Scriptable HotKeys you say!! :excited: :D
You know, until I read that, I wasn't really all that interested in CKS as I realy like the defaults as they are - but now, can't wait! :twisted:
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

lukescammell wrote:You know, until I read that, I wasn't really all that interested in CKS as I realy like the defaults as they are - but now, can't wait! :twisted:
Yeah, same here. CKS to User-defined commands will be pretty cool for sure!
Proud XYplorer Fanatic