Is There A Way

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Dana

Is There A Way

Post by Dana »

To associate XYplorer with the "My Documents " folder so that when I click on the folder I get XYplorer instead of the windows explorer.

surrender

Post by surrender »

To open XYplorer on double click on any folder, here is the link which explains how to do it:

http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/FAQ#General

or to open with right-click context menu go to Tools> configuration> advanced and check "XYplorer in shell context menu".

Dana

Post by Dana »

surrender wrote:To open XYplorer on double click on any folder, here is the link which explains how to do it:

http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/FAQ#General

or to open with right-click context menu go to Tools> configuration> advanced and check "XYplorer in shell context menu".
Thank you... I am so not talented enough to be poking around in the registry...Ive seen another file explorer that gives you the option to have it be your default explorer... I think that it would be a nice addition to the program.

surrender

Post by surrender »

Maybe you missed this part in the WIKI

-----------
If you're not comfortable with editing your registry, here's a REG file that would do the trick:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
@="XYplorer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\XYplorer]
@="Open in XYplorer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\XYplorer\command]
@="\"D:\\Program Files\\XYplorer\\XYplorer.exe\" \"%1\""
Copy/Paste this into the notepad (or whatever text editor you want) and save it as XYplorer.reg Then double-click it and say Yes to apply it to your registry: done!

Note that you might need to edit it to your path of XYplorer.exe before applying it.
----------------

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

surrender wrote:Maybe you missed this part in the WIKI

-----------
If you're not comfortable with editing your registry, here's a REG file that would do the trick:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
@="XYplorer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\XYplorer]
@="Open in XYplorer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\XYplorer\command]
@=""D:\\Program Files\\XYplorer\\XYplorer.exe" "%1""
I just checked this for the 1st time. Is there a special reason why the "Directory" key has been chosen? AFAIK this does not work with drives nor special folders (e.g. Desktop).
The key that does ALL folders is called "Folder". The disadvantage, however: it will also trigger XYplorer when you select the Control Panel, but XY cannot handle this call and will just open MyComputer.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:The key that does ALL folders is called "Folder". The disadvantage, however: it will also trigger XYplorer when you select the Control Panel, but XY cannot handle this call and will just open MyComputer.
That might be the reason! I remember at first I had XY used for everything, but not being able to open ControlPanel or RecyleBin but instead getting a new tab in XY, which as you said don't support those locations, was really annoying.
So I think this is the best way to go, untill XY can show those special locations ;) Allthough maybe it could be done twice, once for "Directory" and once for "Drive", that way only unsupported locations wouldn't be done using XY, but everything else would.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:Allthough maybe it could be done twice, once for "Directory" and once for "Drive", that way only unsupported locations wouldn't be done using XY, but everything else would.
I had it this way before (for XYplorer in context menu). But it does not work for Desktop and MyDocs, which are "Folders" for the shell. :(