Drop on EXE

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jacky
XYwiki Master

Drop on EXE

Post by jacky »

Ok I have a little remark regarding the dropping items on EXE thing.

As you know, it's now supported on both List & Catalog, just like the dropping on archives.

Yet, dropping on EXE on Catalog is a special case, because it has its own cursor, while on List it's the classic plus/minus signs. I'm not sure how everything is done internally, but is there any difference whether or not I hold Shift (move, minus sign on cursor) when I drop items on an EXE in List ?? Or when I drop onto an EXE on List or on Catalog ??

I would think not, it's all the same, and then I think it should all work/appear to the user the same too. So I'd suggest to use, when dropping (hovering) on EXE in List, the special cursor we get in Catalog only for now.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Re: Drop on EXE

Post by admin »

There is a difference.

Drop on EXE in list uses the shell. It is 100% identical with the same action in Explorer and other shell-using file managers.
If you drag 2 files on ACDSee, only 1 file is opened and shown.

Drop on EXE in catalog uses XYplorer native operations.
If you drag 2 files on ACDSee, both files are opened and shown, each in one instance of ACDSee.

Whether this is good is another question... :wink: ... it certainly is a bit confusing.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Oh ok. Well since XY's way is better it should definately not be changed on Catalog to work like on List.
The question could be, maybe have the drop on List to work like on Catalog (and therefore use the same cursor) ?

Is there any case where using shell would be different than XY's way, but in a better way. Or something that would not work using XY's way??

If not, I'd say use XY's way & cursor on List aswell, let's keep XY better than the rest.
If there are cases where using shell would be better/required, then don't change it I guess; or maybe add an option to use XY's way on List instead of the shell way...
Proud XYplorer Fanatic