XYplorer slow to open

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer slow to open

Post by admin »

Sure, your custom columns look like the culprit.
kunkel321 wrote:Edit: Actually I see that the CCs take "0 ms." So maybe not.
"Load Custom Columns" is something else, actually I will remove the item from the list -- it seems to be fast always.
kunkel321 wrote: 1,113 ms: 17 ms - Load This Pane
1,130 ms: 807 ms - Load Other Pane

Pane 1: Items=37/37, Pane 2: Items=4/37, Catalog: Items=11
What's the folder on your second pane?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stef123 wrote:
avsfan wrote:Looks like it's largely to do with the <xyicons> folder, which has the FatCow icon set (over 4000 icons).

Question: Is there any way to tell which of those icons are currently being used so I can remove the rest?
I'd like to know that, too. Same situation, <xyicon> doubles up as my central icon repository, and since I am the one who loses most milliseconds on init .... I wouldn't mind shaving off those seconds once I know whether XY does indeed read in the whole <xyicon> at startup?
1) There is no one-click way to do that. But you could possibly script something taking Custom Column data from the INI file and comparing them with <xyicons>.

2) No, XY just retrieves the icons needed, not the whole folder.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

admin wrote:2) No, XY just retrieves the icons needed, not the whole folder.
Thanks. Good to know.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

admin wrote:
kunkel321 wrote: 1,113 ms: 17 ms - Load This Pane
1,130 ms: 807 ms - Load Other Pane
Pane 1: Items=37/37, Pane 2: Items=4/37, Catalog: Items=11
What's the folder on your second pane?
It's the same Drive... "C:."
I was wondering, why does the info say "37/37" for Pane 1 (left pane I assume) and 4/37 for Pane 2? What does the 4 mean?
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

kunkel321 wrote:4/37 for Pane 2? What does the 4 mean?
That means there are 37 items in total in Pane 2, but only 4 of them were visible in the window at startup.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

SammaySarkar wrote:
That means there are 37 items in total in Pane 2, but only 4 of them were visible in the window at startup.
Strange... There were no filters applied or anything. I tried again this morning after putting C: in both panes and it indicates 37/37 on each side. I don't know why it kept saying 4 last week.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

highstream

Post by highstream »

Well, as the one who started this thread, I know I can't now prove that 15 seconds to open is a big change, but I guarantee you that if it had been the case earlier you would have heard from me a long long time ago. And the irony is that I did a clean reinstall of Win 8.1 in December, the first clean install since 2012, so now I have probably one-third or one-half the number of files and folders I had before. So I don't know the cause, something here or in the program, but something did change.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

highstream wrote:Well, as the one who started this thread, I know I can't now prove that 15 seconds to open is a big change, but I guarantee you that if it had been the case earlier you would have heard from me a long long time ago. And the irony is that I did a clean reinstall of Win 8.1 in December, the first clean install since 2012, so now I have probably one-third or one-half the number of files and folders I had before. So I don't know the cause, something here or in the program, but something did change.
Is it possible for you to "white list" xyplorer.exe in your antivirus?
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

kunkel321 wrote:
SammaySarkar wrote:
Strange... There were no filters applied or anything. I tried again this morning after putting C: in both panes and it indicates 37/37 on each side. I don't know why it kept saying 4 last week.
No, that's not what I meant.
All 37 items are listed in the pane, but XY could only display 4 items at one time in the height/area available to the pane.

visibility.png
visibility.png (7.72 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
[/size]Here the pane lists 29 items in total, but onyl 8 are visible. So I'll have 8/29

During startup, the height of your XY window or the pane wasn't sufficient to display >4 items at once.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

highstream

Post by highstream »

kunkel321 wrote:
highstream wrote:Well, as the one who started this thread, I know I can't now prove that 15 seconds to open is a big change, but I guarantee you that if it had been the case earlier you would have heard from me a long long time ago. And the irony is that I did a clean reinstall of Win 8.1 in December, the first clean install since 2012, so now I have probably one-third or one-half the number of files and folders I had before. So I don't know the cause, something here or in the program, but something did change.
Is it possible for you to "white list" xyplorer.exe in your antivirus?
Have to laugh. After excluding the executable in Comodo CIS, 15 seconds became 20.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

SammaySarkar wrote:No, that's not what I meant.
All 37 items are listed in the pane, but XY could only display 4 items at one time in the height/area available to the pane.
I get it. Thanks for the explanation.
Still weird though... I'm sure that both panes were in Details view. Oh well.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

highstream wrote:Have to laugh. After excluding the executable in Comodo CIS, 15 seconds became 20.
Comodo is a "behavior analysis" app though, right? Do you have a signature-based antivirus running? Maybe with out the "okay" from Comodo, it did an even deeper scan of xy? IDK really... I'm just making this up. Still though, there has to be a reason.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

highstream

Post by highstream »

I'm feeling the same way, like I'm just guessing. Where else could the slowness come from? I'm also running MBAM, but there's been no malware detection so that would seem irrelevant.

highstream

Post by highstream »

To update, since I first started this thread, the first opening time has gone from 13 seconds to 15-20 seconds to 25-30 seconds and, this morning, 35.7 seconds (subsequent starts are ~1 sec or less). During this time, I've gone from a Gigabyte Z68X/i7-2660K setup to a Z97/i5-4690K, and just this week from a fast 128 gb Plextor SSD to an even faster 256 gb Samsung 850 Pro, accelerated with its Magician software. Strange, puzzling situation.

For a good year before this started with xyplorer, I had one program that was even worse: Vuze (Azureus). When I opened it directly the first time in a session - vs. from a torrent link which opened at ~normal speed - it would take close to a minute to start. Its GUI would show most of that being at the beginning while working its way through a ton of plugins. Like with xyplorer, the developers didn't have any explanation for this behavior. Now with the new setup, Vuze starts instantly, but xyplorer seems to be going in the opposite direction. The Vuze experience does make me wonder if there isn't something similar going on here, that is, how xyplorer handles the loading of plugins, or whatever it does early on, that is slowing its enormously.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No idea what's going on in your system, but this thread helped me to speed up XY for me and others notably, so it was not in vain. Cold start here is 333 ms.