XYplorer not opening when using My computer shortcuts

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
pop33

XYplorer not opening when using My computer shortcuts

Post by pop33 »

Hi. I have checked the option to make XYplorer the default shell when opening any folder, but when I use "My computer" shortcuts (including the "My computer" shortcut assigned to one button on my mouse), it opens My Computer with the Microsoft default Explorer.
How can I make EVERYTHING opens with XYplorer?

Thanks

pop33

Re: XYplorer not opening when using My computer shortcuts

Post by pop33 »

Anybody, please?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It does not work for virtual system folders.

pop33

Post by pop33 »

admin wrote:It does not work for virtual system folders.
?¿?¿
ALL other explorers I have tried allowed this option, don´t say it doesn´t work, please.
Also, a shortcut to any folder on any drive is a virtual system folder? NO

Patneu

Post by Patneu »

If it's only the "My computer" shortcut you want to work again: I wanted that to and thought of some kind of work-around for it. It's not exactly the same, but at least almost looks like it. :wink: I don't know about your mouse button shortcut, though. Also, it still won't work with the "Recycle bin" and "System control" icons - but maybe there's a similar work-around for this, too...

That's my solution:

1. Instead of the normal "My computer" shortcut on your desktop, you create a link to the "XYplorer.exe" file. Then, in the link's settings you rename it to "My computer" and change the icon to the "My computer" icon, which you should probably find in the "<Your root directory>:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll" file.
2. You open XYplorer, go to "Configuration" > "General" > "Startup & Exit" and select "My computer" as your "Permanent startup path:".

You now have some kind of custom "My computer" icon on your desktop. If you also want XYplorer to just open with the single "My computer" tab - and no others -, you can do:

3. Open XYplorer: Go to: "Configuration" > "General" > "Startup & Exit" > "Include most-recently-used lists on save" > "Apply to..." and uncheck "Tabs".

I hope that's a little helpful for you or some others, but - frankly - I'd also wish for these icons to work normally with XYplorer.

P.S.: Sorry for anything I wrote wrong or unclear, english is not my native language. :P

pop33

Post by pop33 »

Patneu wrote:If it's only the "My computer" shortcut you want to work again: I wanted that to and thought of some kind of work-around for it. It's not exactly the same, but at least almost looks like it. :wink: I don't know about your mouse button shortcut, though. Also, it still won't work with the "Recycle bin" and "System control" icons - but maybe there's a similar work-around for this, too...

That's my solution:

1. Instead of the normal "My computer" shortcut on your desktop, you create a link to the "XYplorer.exe" file. Then, in the link's settings you rename it to "My computer" and change the icon to the "My computer" icon, which you should probably find in the "<Your root directory>:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll" file.
2. You open XYplorer, go to "Configuration" > "General" > "Startup & Exit" and select "My computer" as your "Permanent startup path:".

You now have some kind of custom "My computer" icon on your desktop. If you also want XYplorer to just open with the single "My computer" tab - and no others -, you can do:

3. Open XYplorer: Go to: "Configuration" > "General" > "Startup & Exit" > "Include most-recently-used lists on save" > "Apply to..." and uncheck "Tabs".

I hope that's a little helpful for you or some others, but - frankly - I'd also wish for these icons to work normally with XYplorer.

P.S.: Sorry for anything I wrote wrong or unclear, english is not my native language. :P
Thanks for your solution. But I was looking for a "open ANYTHING" with XYplorer solution. That´s what I need. If I change my explorer, I want EVERYTHING to change, not only opening folders with double click. -_-

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

pop33 wrote:Thanks for your solution. But I was looking for a "open ANYTHING" with XYplorer solution. That´s what I need. If I change my explorer, I want EVERYTHING to change, not only opening folders with double click. -_-
XY does not forcibly take over all duties from Explorer like many other file managers do. I really wish I did. But over time I have made enough tweaks and workarounds that Explorer *very* rarely rears its ugly head anymore. I replaced my desktop icons like mentioned above, but instead of setting a permanent startup path, I set the icon shortcut target to "C:\Programs\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe Computer". You can do the same for My Network Places using "C:\Programs\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe Network". I also use AutoHotkey to take over the default WindowsKey+E shortcut to launch XY instead of Explorer, you could do the same for your mouse button shortcut. Any other places where you find Explorer opening instead of XY, ask around and there's probably a way to fix it. The only exceptions are poorly-coded third-party programs that specifically call explorer.exe instead of letting the OS handle it.

EDIT: I'm not sure if XY has a built-in option to do this, but one thing that should fix the majority of issues is a registry tweak. Go to HKCR\Directory\Shell. Set the default Key value to xyplorer. Create a new Key under Shell named xyplorer, and under that a Key named command. Set the default value of the command key to "C:\Programs\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe" "%1". Substitute your path to the exe of course. If you want to undo this, you can change Shell back to "open" and delete the xyplorer key. Don't do this tweak for HKCR\Folder, because that applies to virtual folders that XY won't load properly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ahem, XY has this built in: Configuration > Shell Integration > XYplorer is default file manager.

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

admin wrote:Ahem, XY has this built in: Configuration > Shell Integration > XYplorer is default file manager.
Is that the exact registry method XY uses when selecting that option? I seem to remember still needing to modify the registry even with that setting enabled for more complete integration. It may have been many versions ago...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, it's the setting that works. :)

You are right in what you said about the "Folder" node. This would indeed open ALL virtual folders in XY, even those that XY cannot handle. This would mutilate your system. Don't do it.

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

admin wrote:You are right in what you said about the "Folder" node. This would indeed open ALL virtual folders in XY, even those that XY cannot handle. This would mutilate your system. Don't do it.
I have an idea for that... Some of those special folders are available in XY, but shortcuts to them don't work because Explorer uses GUID parameters and XY doesn't. For example the Recylce Bin shortcut is "C:\Windows\explorer.exe /factory,{ceff45ee-c862-41de-aee2-a022c81eda92} -Embedding". Would it be possible for XY to interperet the GUIDs for special folders it *does* work with, like Recycle Bin, and navigate itself to the recycle bin; And for GUIDs that XY does not support, pass those on to explorer.exe?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In principle that would be a way. But I decided to keep it simpler and safer. XY is a file manager. The virtual folders are for Explorer.

I had another idea: Configuration > Shell Integration > XYplorer in shell context menu -- This setting could actually be applied to "Folder" in the registry. So would get XY in the right-click of ALL virtual folders. Then **you** decide whether you open it in XY.

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

But that would only apply to special folders where there is an icon that you right click to manually launch. Any other instances where a special folder is launched programmatically would automatically default to Explorer.

Alternatively if XY were to interpret the select few special folder GUIDs that it does already support, you could add a second advanced config option, maybe in the ini file, to allow XY to take over the Folder association as well, with the understanding that it's not fully supported and it's up to the individual users discretion.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Correct, and yes, I'll consider it.

Patneu

Post by Patneu »

Quaraxkad wrote:Any other places where you find Explorer opening instead of XY, ask around and there's probably a way to fix it.
Do you maybe know a way of letting XYplorer handling something like the "Open"- or "Save"-dialogs? That's one of the few things I'm missing right now... :whistle: