XYplorer not opening when using My computer shortcuts

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Quaraxkad

Re: XYplorer not opening when using My computer shortcuts

Post by Quaraxkad »

Patneu wrote:Do you maybe know a way of letting XYplorer handling something like the "Open"- or "Save"-dialogs? That's one of the few things I'm missing right now... :whistle:
That's not possible. I don't know of any other file manager that can do that... There are a lot of custom dialog utilities, but I don't know of any file managers that do it themselves. I use and recommend DirectFolders. It's very simple, it resizes and sets the dialog position and view type, and gives you a favorites menu of sorts. I have mine set to show a favorites context menu when I middle-click on a open/save dialog, which can take me straight to any of my frequently used folders.

Stretto

Post by Stretto »

I'm having a similar problem.

I run xyplorer as admin by default at system start. The admin part is because I hate having xyplorer popup the UAC every time I have to delete, rename, or move an "admin" file/folder.

The problem is that it breaks xyplorer quite a bit.

1. Shortcuts to folders no longer work. e.g., a shortcut to C:\ on the desktop won't open C:\ in xyplorer. not running xyplorer in admin mode allows it to work as expected.

2. XYplorer doesn't seem to integrate correct in to the system like it does without admin rights.

I have all the settings in xyplorer configration set for maximum integration.

I suppose what happens is that it is a windows security feature, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

I use elevated shortcut to elevate xyplorer.

Strangely, If I recall correctly, it works on an older system, where I do the same thing but run a previous version of windows. I could be mistaken about this though.

Would it be possible to fix directly? If not, would it be possible to "give" xyplorer the admin account password and such and have it use that when doing file operations?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't see a general solution here. UAC always meant to pay a price for safety.

However, this is not expected:
Shortcuts to folders no longer work. e.g., a shortcut to C:\ on the desktop won't open C:\ in xyplorer. not running xyplorer in admin mode allows it to work as expected.
Are you sure those shortcuts don't contain any variables?

enteleform

Post by enteleform »

admin wrote: 19 Aug 2017 20:07 I don't see a general solution here. UAC always meant to pay a price for safety.

However, this is not expected:
Shortcuts to folders no longer work. e.g., a shortcut to C:\ on the desktop won't open C:\ in xyplorer. not running xyplorer in admin mode allows it to work as expected.
Are you sure those shortcuts don't contain any variables?
I also run XY as admin to avoid UAC prompts while working with system files, and am experiencing the same issue. It's detailed by another user here:
https://discussion.listary.com/t/two-qu ... lorer/2612

Is it possible to set up some kind of middleman (maybe a background app/service?) that forwards opened paths to XY, which works with both user & admin instances? It seems like there are 2 cases that would have to be covered to fully resolve this: the Windows default file management action, and an executable that can be used by third-party applications like Listary.

On a related note; the Paste As Symbolic Link(s) feature doesn't work in a non-admin instance of XY, it just does nothing and there's no prompt for UAC privileges. (another reason why I run XY as admin)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the report. Frankly, I see these as minor issues, and solving them would take a rather large effort. Hence they are not on top of my list for now. :|