thumbnails for folder contains video files

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
yusef88

thumbnails for folder contains video files

Post by yusef88 »

why there is no thumbnails for folder contains video files although videos inside have generated thumbnails
=======
after using FolderThumbs=1 tweak it gives black background
Attachments
XY.png
XY.png (19.25 KiB) Viewed 3025 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: thumbnails for folder contains video files

Post by admin »

I quote a recent part of the change log:

Code: Select all

+ Tweak to control whether folder thumbnails mind the "Logo" setting in a 
      folder's hidden desktop.ini file (as Explorer does):
        FolderThumbsDesktopIni=1
      Factory default is ON (1).
      If ON then folder thumbnails are harvested in the following order of precedence:
        <curitem>\desktop.ini>[ViewState]>Logo
        <curitem>\folder.jpg
        <curitem>\folder.png
        <curitem>\folder.gif
        <curitem>\*.jpg/*.png (alphabetically first JPG, if none then first PNG)
      Else the first line is skipped:
        <curitem>\folder.jpg
        <curitem>\folder.png
        <curitem>\folder.gif
        <curitem>\*.jpg/*.png (alphabetically first JPG, if none then first PNG)
As you see, only certain files are used for folder thumbs. No video files.

rur54

Post by rur54 »

Is that above available in Xy 15.00? Or I just do not know where to find it.
If ON then folder thumbnails are harvested in the following order of precedence:
<curitem>\desktop.ini>[ViewState]>Logo
<curitem>\folder.jpg
...etc
Right now if I set "show folder thumbnails" desktop ini is skipped and shows only folder.jpg.
If I uncheck "show folder thumbnail" then all folders are blank but the ones that have desktop ini show icons as thumbs.

I am little confused with "show folder thumbnails".
I would expect if I "show folder thumbnails" is on and I have set desktop ini with custom icon for it to show it as default and not folder jpg. Now it just skips it and shows folder.jpg or just random image if no folder.jpg is present.

Cheers

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If

FolderThumbsDesktopIni=1
you should see the Logo.

rur54

Post by rur54 »

Is that in XY ini file?
Do I add that line in there or is it already in there and I should change to 1?
(Will check later when home)

Thanks in advance.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

What's missing in that tweak-guideline, you have to run XY after an update, exit immediately, then re-start it. New additions are not there upon the first run after an update. It takes a re-start to find them in the new version.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Stef123 wrote:.., exit immediately, then re-start it. New additions are not there upon the first run after an update..
This works only with [x] Save settings on exit!
Simply invoking Save Settings is sufficient to trigger addition of all new tweaks to XY's ini.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stef123 wrote:What's missing in that tweak-guideline, you have to run XY after an update, exit immediately, then re-start it. New additions are not there upon the first run after an update. It takes a re-start to find them in the new version.
Uhm, no. :) The way I describe it here works. Always.

http://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

:? All I can say is, last time I tried that new desktop.ini stuff it was not there. You know, that folder-thumb tweak you added to bring back my cherished folder.jpgs
Used various searches to cover possible misspellings, but nope, nothing in there. This was AFTER I updated, of course, I am sure about this, the title bar showed the correct update info.

So anyway, I decide to add it manually, just to check up on it b4 making a fool of myself (trying to keep down my count of false alarms and maintaining credibility :wink: ) - and settled on a line between the other folderthumbs stuff. Remaining procedure as usual - save ini in my editor, restart XY w/o saving - still no folder.jpgs visible.

Holding back from bitching in the forum - for the above-mentioned reasons, I hit reload in my external editor and before my very eyes do I see the following changes: My line is still in there, but now it ends on =1 (instead of =0) and it got shifted down a few lines. The comment I had added is gone. That's how I came to the conclusion I posted here. It seemed the only logical explanation, XY not adding the line upon starting the updated version, but rather upon exiting/ saving the updated version.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's why my first point is:

Click Menu File | Settings | Save All Settings (this will ensure that the key to tweak exists in XYplorer.ini).
FYI (ok, you noted it already), your own comments will not survive writing the INI file. You can modify the values only, not the keys, not the order of the keys, not the comments.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Stef123 wrote:XY not adding the line upon starting the updated version, but rather upon exiting/ saving the updated version.
You got that right.
XY never touches the ini file unless you're saving settings, more specifically saving configuration. No such operation is triggered on start, not even if the started version is an updated one. So only starting an XY update won't help, settings have to be saved at least once. But no need to restart.

on a related note, XYplorer has a very rigid ini structure. The whole ini file content, including order, case, comments, everything, are hardcoded.
Everytime you save settings, XYplorer actually rewrites the whole file. Anything extra get removed. Anything not found get added back. You are only limited to changing values of keys that are already there. (with some limited expceptions in case the various MRU keys)
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Blame it on some weird freelancer gene that keeps me from following rules exactly down to the letter. Which btw, is not possible anyway, there is no such literal thing as File | Settings | Save All Settings.

The gist of this first guideline seems to equal "Save configuration #193" which lives in one of my CTBs and "w/o fail" (or so I thought) sports an asterisk to tell me changes have not been saved yet. Didn't get to see the asterisk after the update, I am 90% sure of that, which led me into thinking XY took care of it automatically, which did not prove correct, which led to the conclusion of 2nd restart .... yadda yadda yadda...

Thank you both for taking the time to explain. Guess I am just not too big a fan of the ini-handling overall, with its jambalaya of default and user values and CTB definitions and what not - all in one and the same file. But that's been discussed at length already and a moot point. Hopefully I got it figured out this time, once and for all.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's File | Save Settings.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Yep thanks, figured that, but the real question is whether "Save Configuration" does the job or not? I assumed it saves ini-changes, or so it seems. If so, it should show an asterisk after running an updated version, for the sake of consistency and to make me trigger it.