PDF thumbnails... again

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
pat55

Re: PDF thumbnails... again

Post by pat55 »

final...
Attachments
sort7.zip
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 118 times

highend

Post by highend »

@Don, take a look at this:
Fresh Windows 10 RS1 (anniversary update) VM
v17.30 official XY (fresh), only one option changed
[ ] Cache thumbnails on disk

Sumatra 3.12 x64 installed and made the default pdf viewer
No other software at all is installed in this VM

The C:\Temp folder and C:\Temp\sort7 folder
contain exactly the same files!

View = Details with Thumbnails #1

XY shows in 1.png only a thumbnail for 18.pdf and it clearly
states that it only created 1 in the status bar

In 2.png I've switched to the sort7 subfolder
and now it created two thumbs and this time for
two other .pdf files while 18.pdf doesn't have a thumbnail
here anymore? oO

How is this possible?
1.png
1.png (94.15 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
2.png
2.png (95.09 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

christopherwood wrote:
This usually helps people where it does not work out of the box:
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFthumbs
Install the free PDF-XChange Viewer.
If you are using PDF-XChange Viewer and there are still no thumbnails add this key to your registry (only do it if you are experienced and know what your are doing):

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PDF-XChangeViewer.1\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{B2F55D43-C7A4-4B7C-90D7-7A860DFA9F2A}"
I tried this on my latest home machine, Win 10, Xyplorer 17.20, and at seems to have FIXED the black PDF thumbnails! :tup: :D

As a bonus, I did NOT make PDF-XChange Viewer the default program for opening PDFs. I have reasons to want to keep Adobe Acrobat as the default. Nonetheless (and don't ask me how or why), the above solution has worked, at least on this one machine. I hope to apply it to other machines when I get a mo'.
Oh that's good. So I can remove this sentence in my FAQ?
In case you are using Adobe Acrobat Reader: Uninstall it.
Or change it to: "If you keep Adobe Acrobat Reader you might need to apply this registry edit."

mriege

Post by mriege »

Dear admin,
For me xyplorer still does not display the pdf thumbnails. As I indicated before, I did follow all the instructions, installing pdfxChangeViewer, running the registry fix, when that didn't work installing the sumatra pdf viewer, deleting the thumbnail cache, etc...

1) Windows Explorer displays the thumbnails correctly, only xyplower doesn't.
2) The pdfxChangeViewer thumbnail handler is installed, as I can see with the shellexviewer that was mentioned previously in this thread.

Since I use xyplower to browse a large collection of pdf files, it would really be good if xyplorer could work correctly, so I'd appreciate it if this could get fixed.
If you need more info from me re. debugging this problem, please let me know, so I can try to send it. I am using Windows 10 Anniversary Update and currently the 17.20.0200 build, but haven't been able to get xyplorer to show the pdf thumbnails for a long time now.
Thanks for your help.

PS. Other than this problem, I really like xyplorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:@Don, take a look at this:
Fresh Windows 10 RS1 (anniversary update) VM
v17.30 official XY (fresh), only one option changed
[ ] Cache thumbnails on disk

Sumatra 3.12 x64 installed and made the default pdf viewer
No other software at all is installed in this VM

The C:\Temp folder and C:\Temp\sort7 folder
contain exactly the same files!

View = Details with Thumbnails #1

XY shows in 1.png only a thumbnail for 18.pdf and it clearly
states that it only created 1 in the status bar

In 2.png I've switched to the sort7 subfolder
and now it created two thumbs and this time for
two other .pdf files while 18.pdf doesn't have a thumbnail
here anymore? oO

How is this possible?
Sumatra bug. I see no other possible explanation.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mriege wrote:Dear admin,
For me xyplorer still does not display the pdf thumbnails. As I indicated before, I did follow all the instructions, installing pdfxChangeViewer, running the registry fix, when that didn't work installing the sumatra pdf viewer, deleting the thumbnail cache, etc...

1) Windows Explorer displays the thumbnails correctly, only xyplower doesn't.
2) The pdfxChangeViewer thumbnail handler is installed, as I can see with the shellexviewer that was mentioned previously in this thread.

Since I use xyplower to browse a large collection of pdf files, it would really be good if xyplorer could work correctly, so I'd appreciate it if this could get fixed.
If you need more info from me re. debugging this problem, please let me know, so I can try to send it. I am using Windows 10 Anniversary Update and currently the 17.20.0200 build, but haven't been able to get xyplorer to show the pdf thumbnails for a long time now.
Thanks for your help.

PS. Other than this problem, I really like xyplorer.
Did you already try the registry edit mentioned here? https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFthumbs

mriege

Post by mriege »

Dear admin,
Yes, I ran the registry addin. Shellexview shows me that the pdfxChangeViewer thumbnail handler is installed.
Thanks.

christopherwood

Post by christopherwood »

admin wrote:Oh that's good. So I can remove this sentence in my FAQ?
In case you are using Adobe Acrobat Reader: Uninstall it.
Or change it to: "If you keep Adobe Acrobat Reader you might need to apply this registry edit."
I don't have Reader. I have Acrobat Pro, and a workflow built on it, so I don't want to change established procedures in three offices just for PDF thumbnails (and luckily, I don't have to!).

I don't see any reason to keep Reader if you are switching to another PDF handler. So maybe leave that sentence where it is? If somebody wants to keep Reader, let them figure it out and tell us what they did.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I ran the registry addin. Shellexview shows me that the pdfxChangeViewer thumbnail handler is installed.
Thanks.
So this is what you see in ShellExView as 32-bit thumbnail handler?

PDF-XChange PDF Thumbnail Provider	No	Thumbnail Handler	.pdf	PDF-XChange Shell Extention	2.5.0317.0000	Tracker Software PDF-XChange Shell Extention	Tracker Software Products (Canada) Ltd.	No	No	No	No	No	No	C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\Win32\XCShInfo.dll	{EBD0B8F4-A9A0-41B7-9695-030CD264D9C8}	22.03.2016 09:36:24	06.12.2015 12:06:29	No	A	6.148.288	No		No	

mriege

Post by mriege »

admin wrote:
Thanks.
So this is what you see in ShellExView as 32-bit thumbnail handler?

PDF-XChange PDF Thumbnail Provider	No	Thumbnail Handler	.pdf	PDF-XChange Shell Extention	2.5.0317.0000	Tracker Software PDF-XChange Shell Extention	Tracker Software Products (Canada) Ltd.	No	No	No	No	No	No	C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\Win32\XCShInfo.dll	{EBD0B8F4-A9A0-41B7-9695-030CD264D9C8}	22.03.2016 09:36:24	06.12.2015 12:06:29	No	A	6.148.288	No		No	
Yes, close to it: my version is slightly newer and the my shellexview colums are in a different order: the .pdf extension is in another column.

PDF-XChange PDF Thumbnail Provider No Thumbnail Handler PDF-XChange Shell Extention 2.5.0318.0001 Tracker Software PDF-XChange Shell Extention Tracker Software Products (Canada) Ltd. No No No No No No C:\Program Files\pdfXChangeViewer\Shell Extensions\win32\XCShInfo.dll {EBD0B8F4-A9A0-41B7-9695-030CD264D9C8} 10/30/2016 3:19:12 PM 10/30/2016 3:19:27 PM No .pdf A 6,200,512 No No

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to make sure, this should be ticked:
Configuration | Thumbnails | Show thumbnails for non-images

Other than that I'm out of ideas. Either it's in XY's settings or something is not right in your registry.

mriege

Post by mriege »

admin wrote:Just to make sure, this should be ticked:
Configuration | Thumbnails | Show thumbnails for non-images

Other than that I'm out of ideas. Either it's in XY's settings or something is not right in your registry.
Would it help if I sent you my xyplorer.ini file? Can I attach it here to a response?
I would suspect that it has to do with xyplorer, rather than my registry, since I have the same problem on my surface 3. To get the same settings there, I am usually just copying the whole xyplorer directory there.
Thanks for looking into this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, send it per email to support@[this website].

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Got it: You added PDF to Configuration | Previewed Formats | Category | Text. If you remove it there it will work.

But, of course, this should not have this effect. The next version will fix it. So you can as well wait for the next version and keep your settings as they are.

mriege

Post by mriege »

admin wrote:Got it: You added PDF to Configuration | Previewed Formats | Category | Text. If you remove it there it will work.

But, of course, this should not have this effect. The next version will fix it. So you can as well wait for the next version and keep your settings as they are.
Hurray, it worked after I removed the pdf line from the previewed text formats as you suggested! Thanks for figuring it out and fixing it in the next version.