PDF thumbnails... again

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Marco

PDF thumbnails... again

Post by Marco »

Ok, pdf thumbnails always worked here, because I use PDF XChange Viewer plus the registry tweak.
However, this viewer is being superseded by PDF XChange Editor. If you wonder why fixing something that ain't broken, my answer is cleartype rendering. That's enough for me. Sadly pdf thumbnails don't work anymore in XY.

What can I do?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

kodyman

Re: PDF thumbnails... again

Post by kodyman »

Here's what I did.
I made a portable file association: "Open in Windows Explorer" \>C:\Windows\explorer.exe
When I want to "peek" at a PDF I go to the folder where the PDF is then go up one level, right click on the folder with the PDF and "Open with..." > "Open in Windows Explorer".
WE opens, along with the list of files in the folder. Single clicking on the PDF brings up the PDF in the right window (have to set up WE to view files.)
An added plus I like with this method is I can scroll through the PDF if I want to look at more than the 1st page.

Edit:
Oops. You were asking about thumbnails. This is what I do in place of MDBU not working on my PDF's.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Marco wrote:Ok, pdf thumbnails always worked here, because I use PDF XChange Viewer plus the registry tweak.
However, this viewer is being superseded by PDF XChange Editor. If you wonder why fixing something that ain't broken, my answer is cleartype rendering. That's enough for me. Sadly pdf thumbnails don't work anymore in XY.

What can I do?
What? Is Tracker Software themselves doing it or just in your system?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Marco

Post by Marco »

I decided to install PDFXch Editor. It wasn't an autoupdate or something similar.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

So I guess your MDBU stopped working also?

Marco

Post by Marco »

Yes Stef, MDBU doesn't work anymore.

ADD: geez, now I realize this might be the cause? The installed version is 64bit.

ADD: shell extension are installed in both 32 and 64 bit version

Marco

Post by Marco »

Friendly bump

autocart

Post by autocart »

I really liked pdf-MDBU.
My (manual) update to the latest PDF XChange Reader broke it too.
Any news on how to bring it back? Don? Anybody?

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

@kodyman - A laborious but effective work around. Am happy to have this back. even if not as elegant as before. :)

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

Glad it helps.
Though it's not a single click solution like MDBU, I like it since it lets me also scroll through the document instead of just showing the 1st page.
Unfortunately I couldn't make my PDF's show up in the Info Panel > Preview either.
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 946#p99191

Although this has changed too. Now if I'm in Info Panel > Preview and select a PDF in the file list, PDF-XChange Editor opens and displays the PDF. There is a slight delay while PDF-XChange Ed. opens but it's working. Instead of receiving the prompt like I used to in the post above.

I don't know what has changed in PDF-XChange Ed. or XY to allow it to work but I'll take it. I'm on PDF-XChange Ed. v5.5.312.1 and XY 14.80.0200.
Might want to see if this works for you too.

K.

autocart

Post by autocart »

autocart wrote:I really liked pdf-MDBU.
My (manual) update to the latest PDF XChange Reader broke it too.
Any news on how to bring it back? Don? Anybody?
AHA!!!
It works again, after I reregistered XChange to the system as the default viewer. (I did play around a bit, though, and then it worked again.)

Marco

Post by Marco »

How did you do? Do you get pdf thumbnails too now?

autocart

Post by autocart »

Yes, but notice that I am still using the Reader, not the Editor.
Can you not install both? In the worst case register the Reader with Windows but use custom file associations inside XY to have them opened in the Editor. Is it possible?

Marco

Post by Marco »

Ah, I see.
Yes, I could install both. But having two distinct pieces of software for the "same" purpose is a non-sense to me, and the less stuff I have installed on my system, the better.

autocart

Post by autocart »

My point was, that they would not be for the same purpose, since one is for improving the display in XY and the other for editing or whatever, but its up to you.