PDF thumbnails... again

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: PDF thumbnails... again

Post by admin »

Maybe not fully uninstalled remnants of Adobe code screw your system...

christopherwood

Post by christopherwood »

Maybe ... so I uninstalled, manually deleted remnants from hard drive & registry, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted again ... but the black boxes still occur.

I remember an "Adobe Cleanup" script somewhere ... maybe I should try again, and use that script. It's supposed to get rid of "remnants."

christopherwood

Just to make sure it's not something that *I* am doing on *my* computers, I installed Xyplorer 16.10 on a computer at one of my day jobs. This computer's OS is a special edition called "Windows Embedded," which I've never seen on any other machine. It does not have Acrobat XI Pro as mine but, but Acrobat X Standard. I basically haven't done anything to this computer that I do to my own (mostly because it's dedicated to run a printer whose software updates require a complete reinstall of the OS, so we decline to customize it because we'd have to reconfigure it continually).

The PDF black thumbnails occur on this machine also. They occur at various thumbnails sizes. "Refresh selected thumbnails" fixes the problem.

It's really, really strange. And the weirdest thing is, nobody else has reported this. :shock:
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (200.11 KiB) Viewed 4638 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's almost scary. I've got nothing helpful ATM. :|

christopherwood

Yeh ... :veryconfused:

christopherwood

It's NOT doing it on one of the other computers at that same day job. Now, what in the heck is different about THAT computer, I wonder? Same versions of Windows & Acrobat that I have on my home computers ... :eh: what could it be ...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Black magic. :biggrin: (sorry :whistle: )

christopherwood

There is some noise on the interwebs about black thumbnails for PDFs in 64-bit Windows. But one of my machines is 32-bit, and it has the black PDF thumbnails.

I think it's a variant of bubonic plague. :bug:

christopherwood

Oh goodness ... now I am getting gigantic floating black boxes from the "Preview On Mouse-Down" feature! :shock: ... even on PDFs that have proper thumbnails!

(For the cherry on the sundae, XYplorer Help.pdf has a black thumbnail and black preview on mouse-down.)

I am not having a good weekend. :veryconfused:

christopherwood

I installed http://www.win7pdf.com/pdf-preview.html and it might have fixed the black thumbnails. I'll try it on all my other machines and report back.

I still saw at least one black preview on mouse-down. And before & since installing PDF Preview, some of the previews on mouse-down just failed completely. But I will just set those aside as an anomaly.

christopherwood

Also tried SageThumbs and FastPictureViewer, but still get black thumbnails for PDFs.

gravman

Post by gravman »

Just FYI I'm having the black thumbnail for PDFs as well. Just noticed it today and haven't done anything at all to troubleshoot it yet. I have Windows 7 64bit. I also noticed the other day that all my previously cached thumbnails were not displaying and I'm having to refresh them all. Refreshing them all leaves me with black PDF thumbnails until I go back and specifically refresh selected PDFs. Using the "Fast Thumbnails" option.

mriege

Post by mriege »

Using the newest version xyplorer 17.20.0200 on Win 10 64bit, I cannot get any pdf thumbnails to display. The problem has been persistent with all previous versions for maybe a year now. I followed all the instructions either using pdfXchangeViewer or sumatra pdf, deleting the thumbnail cache, rebooting, etc., but no thumbnails. In Windows Explorer the thumbnails are displayed and the ShellExViewer shows that I have the pdfXchangeViewer extension installed, but no such luck in xyplower. I only get the pdfXChangeViewer or Sumatrapdf icons. This is really annoying. Since I like the Foxit pdf viewer better than pdfXChangeViewer, I created a custom file association, to use that to open pdf files, but that shouldn't mess up the thumbnail handlers, right? Any ideas?

christopherwood

I still get the black thumbnails on an all-new laptop, all-new OS Win 10 Home (bleh), all-new Xyplorer 17.20, various different thumbnails sizes (the presets, or custom sizes).

The "refresh selected thumbnails" workaround is still good ... just an extra step.

For the record, I still totally love Xyplorer, lifetime license holder, completely addicted, lost without it, drinking the Koolaid happily. :appl:

pat55

Post by pat55 »

Another problem with PDF (and DOCX) is that once upon a time one would get a picture of the
first page on the thumbnail and NOT just a useless picture of a generic icon thumbnail.

There is a cumbersome procedure to correct this and a number of small programs which may
no longer work under Win 10 and the Anniversary edition etc.
There may be a good fix that XY could use and incorporate.
p