How to un-squish vertical thumbnails?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
aliteralmind

How to un-squish vertical thumbnails?

Post by aliteralmind »

Vertical images are squished when they're vertical, despite their being black bars on both sides. How do I get them to display normally, but still be lined up? Shrink them to fit that space as a whole, not just in one direction.

Windows 8.1, 64-bit

bdeshi

Re: How to un-squish vertical thumbnails?

Post by bdeshi »

What happens if you disable Config->thumbnails->Super-fast thumbnails, and then refresh the thumbs (go to that folder and pick View->cache->refresh thumbnails) ?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

I've seen this happen on certain JPEGs with embedded EXIF thumbnails when the EXIF rotation = 90/270. It's basically a bad embedded thumbnail and you'll need to regenerate or remove the EXIF thumbnails - I use XnViewMP for this (the option is also available in regular XnView but I like XnViewMP better).

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

SammaySarkar wrote:What happens if you disable Config->thumbnails->Super-fast thumbnails, and then refresh the thumbs (go to that folder and pick View->cache->refresh thumbnails) ?
No change.
ksarnelli wrote:I've seen this happen on certain JPEGs with embedded EXIF thumbnails when the EXIF rotation = 90/270. It's basically a bad embedded thumbnail and you'll need to regenerate or remove the EXIF thumbnails - I use XnViewMP for this (the option is also available in regular XnView but I like XnViewMP better).
I have many thousands of pictures. I'm not an images guy. We just have pictures from our camera, and I brighten/contrast them a bit. Does that software do it in bulk?

Notice how "0556" (near the middle bottom in the screenshot) isn't squished.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

aliteralmind wrote:
SammaySarkar wrote:What happens if you disable Config->thumbnails->Super-fast thumbnails, and then refresh the thumbs (go to that folder and pick View->cache->refresh thumbnails) ?
No change.
ksarnelli wrote:I've seen this happen on certain JPEGs with embedded EXIF thumbnails when the EXIF rotation = 90/270. It's basically a bad embedded thumbnail and you'll need to regenerate or remove the EXIF thumbnails - I use XnViewMP for this (the option is also available in regular XnView but I like XnViewMP better).
I have many thousands of pictures. I'm not an images guy. We just have pictures from our camera, and I brighten/contrast them a bit. Does that software do it in bulk?

Yes, it has a file browser - you just select all of the files, click the Tools menu and go to Metadata -> EXIF Thumbnail Rebuild (That's in XnViewMP. XnView has the same functionality but it's in a different place and I don't have it to look).

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

Hopefully this can be fixed in XY somehow, so I don't have to purchase a thirty dollar software license. It's an interesting program, however, and I'll keep it mind.

This is just a minor annoyance. I had hoped it was a trivial solution.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

aliteralmind wrote:Hopefully this can be fixed in XY somehow, so I don't have to purchase a thirty dollar software license. It's an interesting program, however, and I'll keep it mind.

Anyway, this is just a minor annoyance. I had hoped it was a trivial solution.
It's free for personal use. Anyway, it isn't an XY problem...the thumbnails will be messed up in any viewer that first looks for an embedded EXIF thumbnail instead of generating a new one.

If you need something for commercial use I'm sure you'll be able to find some other free software that recreates or removes the EXIF thumbs.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

exiftool
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

You're confident this has to be done in the image? Nothing XY can do about it?
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

aliteralmind wrote:You're confident this has to be done in the image? Nothing XY can do about it?
XY could either:
1 - Regenerate the EXIF thumb on demand (which is what XnView will do easily or ExifTool will do not-so-easily :wink: )
2 - Ignore the EXIF thumbs completely. This would slow down initial thumbnail cache generation and wouldn't even necessarily be possible if you have shell thumbnails enabled.

I deal with a lot of images as well (and have seen this very issue numerous times) and solution 1 is a super quick fix.

The bottom line is that the EXIF thumbs are wrong *in* the file. You probably want to fix the files (solution 1) instead of work around the root issue (solution 2). :)

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

Hm. Interesting. Already installed, and will try today. Thanks.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit