License/number of computers question

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
CitizenD

License/number of computers question

Post by CitizenD »

I thought I had better not add this to the sticky thread as I am not a registered user yet...

The purchase page for the Single License says:
Entitles one single person to install and run XYplorer on one or more computers.
I assume this means if I buy XYplorer I can install it on my desktop PC and laptop and receive support and updates for both.

I guess I'd like confirmation on that and also bring up the point that there isn't much distinction between this and the Multi-User license. "One or more computers" covers most situations. Perhaps there needs to be a limit on Single License PC's or a distinction between personal and corporate/government use?

Cheers,

D

surrender

Post by surrender »

It means you can install it on any number of PCs as long as only you use it and not anybody else. This is also the reason why it is a portable filemanager, which means you can run it off your USB stick.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The license to use XYplorer is given to a person or a number of persons. it is independent of the hosting computers.

"Number of licenses: 1" means: 1 particular person, usually the one stated under "Name:", may use XYplorer for his work and fun.

"Number of licenses: 2" means: 2 particular persons may use XYplorer for their work and fun.

If 3 persons in your home, office, or company are using XY, you need to purchase 3 licenses, even if all are using the same computer!

zridling

Post by zridling »

Good to know. I put XYplorer on my wife's desktop last month and she liked it enough to ditch ExplorerPlus, so I bought a second license.
- Zaine Ridling, The Great Software blog

surrender

Post by surrender »

Wow!! I would like to buy a second licence too, but then i dont have a wife! Maybe i will marry just for the sake of second licence. :lol:. haha. Nevermind that.
Just wanted to appreciate zridling's loyalty towards XYplorer.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:If 3 persons in your home, office, or company are using XY, you need to purchase 3 licenses, even if all are using the same computer!
That's definitely a new approach to licensing and I'm pretty sure not too many people out there take this serious.
Furthermore, what happens, if all users of that computer use the same login?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

RalphM wrote:
admin wrote:If 3 persons in your home, office, or company are using XY, you need to purchase 3 licenses, even if all are using the same computer!
That's definitely a new approach to licensing and I'm pretty sure not too many people out there take this serious.
I'd agree with that. And I think this is a very interresting licensing policy, but what's on the site ain't as clear as you were here, Don, actually doesn't even sounds the same to me:
xyplorer.com, for multi-user license, wrote:Entitles one single organization to install and run XYplorer on the specified amount of computers.
Shouldn't it be more like "Entitles one single organization to have the specified amount of persons to install and run XYplorer on one or more computers" :?:
RalphM wrote:Furthermore, what happens, if all users of that computer use the same login?
I'd say, doesn't matter: That's why you can get a multi-licence for 3 users (instead of 3 single-user licence).
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I've seen it most often described as needing more than one license when application could be used by more than one person at same time...

Microsoft is best known for wanting things to be one license on one system, and not based on how many people use that system...so in that scheme, if you have a laptop and desktop, you'd need two licenses....that plan, if used by XY, could likely make it too costly for many home users, so I can see the person aspect...so not sure how best to handle this issue.

Some have a home policy that differs from a business policy...and different pricing for each...some have a second/third home license at a discount compared to business which encourages buying more...

And unless the software really gets fancy in how it checks usage, you just have to rely on the honesty of users...which can be a problem, I realize.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
RalphM wrote:
I'd agree with that. And I think this is a very interresting licensing policy, but what's on the site ain't as clear as you were here, Don, actually doesn't even sounds the same to me:
xyplorer.com, for multi-user license, wrote:Entitles one single organization to install and run XYplorer on the specified amount of computers.
Shouldn't it be more like "Entitles one single organization to have the specified amount of persons to install and run XYplorer on one or more computers" :?:
For a portable multi-instance-able app a machine-based license is not useful. So it must be per person, what else? But then, in a company, staff changes and you can't expect that new licenses are bought for each new staff member. So I thought I'd rather define it via computers and keep the definition as short as possible.
:idea: Maybe it would easier to just define what a single license is, and do not offer any "multi-user licenses" (which sounds like a different sort of license) but just a discount when you buy larger amounts.
Thanks for your comments!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Earlier tonight I looked at some other commercial/shareware software sites to see what others did...and yes, I think you'd be better with completely defining what a single license allows or not...

As I wrote before, I think a single license should allow for a person who has (or access via flash to) more than one PC but who doesn't have other people that could use the appl simultaneously...but require a second license for other PC(s) if it can be run by another person(s) at same time.

Regarding multi-copy discounts: It seems that having a small discount for copies 2-3, 2-4 or 2-5 is somewhat common...with percentage around 10-15%...then maybe a second tier from that nbr to 9 copies; next tier from 10-19 or 10-24; next tier at 20-49 or 25-49; and last tier at 50+...because I'm presuming you'd very rarely get more than 50! You could always have a "special volume pricing may be available on request" type note...

Also, having some sort of an educational pricing that is a bit different seems typical...and as I wrote, maybe a very slightly different (lower?) price for small numbers (less than 5) of copies for home use than for business...like 10% off for business and 15% off for home?

BTW, on web page for this, you have as benefit: "free support via online forum"...but usage of forum is open to all, and I don't think making it restricted would help any...it would discourage folks who are trying it out, I believe...and some of us are trying to help out with answering queries to reduce the load on our dedicated author! :wink:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:BTW, on web page for this, you have as benefit: "free support via online forum"...but usage of forum is open to all, and I don't think making it restricted would help any...it would discourage folks who are trying it out, I believe...and some of us are trying to help out with answering queries to reduce the load on our dedicated author! :wink:
For unregistered trial version evaluaters free support is possible and mostly happening but not guaranteed.

Thanks for your recherche (english?)!

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Research.

The right to have it portable and use it where you like is a great bonus, so as long as you don't get rid of that, I'm happy :)
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

UPDATED!

Okay, I tried a new definition:

License Types
There are two types of licensing concepts for XYplorer. You can decide freely which one is more suitable for you. The prices are identical, and both are lifetime licenses and include all future updates.

1. The Individual License
Entitles one specific person to install and run XYplorer on one or more computers. Just like the application itself, the license is portable and the owner can use it anywhere he likes.

2. The Site License
Entitles one specific organization to install and run XYplorer on the specified number of computers. "Lifetime" in this case means lifetime of the organization.

Example
"Number of licenses: 2" means either "2 specific persons may use XYplorer on any computer" (= 2 Individual Licenses), or "XYplorer may be used on 2 computers within a specific organization by any person" (= Site License for 2 computers). Your choice!

What do you think about it (and the English)? Clear enough?

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

What happens to the organisation lifetime licence if it gets sold/bought? Does it transfer to the new owner?
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lukescammell wrote:What happens to the organisation lifetime licence if it gets sold/bought? Does it transfer to the new owner?
Of course. You buy the company, you buy its XY rights.